Symlinks for unified library and audio issues
I have a setup of several macs connecting to one macs userdata folder using symlinks. This makes me only have to scrape on one mac to update the library on all etc. It has a few other benefits aswell but i wont get into that here.

While this setup allows for different tvs to have different resolutions, It doesnt allow for the different setups to use different audio output. Ie. If I (under setup/system) chose digital out on one mac, this setting applies to every mac. This is really annoying. Any way of getting independent system settings on each mac? pointing the symlinks to another dir than "userdata perhaps? any Ideas?
Use profiles: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Profiles
You can define different audio output for each (manually editing profiles).
Using profiles breaks the "stop movie in the livingroom, resume in the bedroom" feature symlinks give me. Afaik, each profile will also have to scrape. Or at least only one defined profile can scrape if the "shared with default" option is chosen, as its read only. Not really a great option, but thanks for the input regardless.
I also have a unified media library, but I don't have this problem. I use mysql for the database and have my symlinks setup only for the thumbnails folder in userdata. It works perfectly. It took me a while to get everything figured out since I have a win 7 desktop, MacBook pro, win 7 laptop, and an aspire revo net top running win 7 as well. Once I figured out how to setup symlinks to my smb share from the desktop everything was golden.

You could technically make symlinks for just the database folder and the thumbnails folder and be ok, but when using the default sqlite database it'll have issues if both macs try to access the database at the same time. This isn't a problem when you switch to a mysql server.
RckStr Wrote:Using profiles breaks the "stop movie in the livingroom, resume in the bedroom" feature symlinks give me. Afaik, each profile will also have to scrape. Or at least only one defined profile can scrape if the "shared with default" option is chosen, as its read only. Not really a great option, but thanks for the input regardless.
I think you can configure the profiles to use the same database, so you don't loose the "stop movie in the livingroom, resume in the bedroom" feature, and the "shares with default" option gives default user full control, not just read only access.
Also, off course you can always go the MySQL way, as WisdomWolf suggests, but I believe you already tried that and for some reason you went back to db symlinking.
Thanks guys, youve both been of great help-

Charrua with the MySQL setup and WisdomWolf with the "Adding skip-name-resolve to the my.ini" stuff in the other thread, and now with the symlinks pointing to the thumbs.

Im gonna give SQL another shot and this time im sure it will work.

Thanks again both of you.
RckStr Wrote:Thanks guys, youve both been of great help-
Charrua with the MySQL setup and WisdomWolf with the "Adding skip-name-resolve to the my.ini" stuff in the other thread, and now with the symlinks pointing to the thumbs.
Im gonna give SQL another shot and this time im sure it will work.
Thanks again both of you.
You're welcome. I'm sure you'll make it work this time.
Keep us posted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Symlinks for unified library and audio issues0