Recommendation for XBMC platform
I am looking into using XBMC. It use will be strictlky in a Home Theater environment feeding its outputs to an Anthem A/v Processor.

My requirements are:

1) Output over HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a
2) Provide HD video up to 1080p at 24 or 60 fps
3) Provide bitstream uncompressed, UN-decoded audio of all formats including TrueHD and Master Audio

I am looking for a recommendation on the mobo, and any graphics or audio cards that would be needed to meet my requirements
I keep seeing nicks i recognise, but from other places, the home media scene is a small one it seems Wink Theres you i've seen around the unraid forums, and people from here in the thetvdb forums, though it helps that all 3 forums are complimentary.

What kind of money are you looking to spend? any size requirements? are you going to be using it for anything else?

If you go with the linux/live version of xbmc you can use vdpau with nvidia graphics cards to offload the playback, meaning something like ION can do 1080p (acer revo 1600 can be had for about £150, or a zotac mag and there are new ones coming out based on ION2 like the zotac zbox).

However, with the linux/live version i believe you will struggle with your 3rd point, though to be honest, i dont know if point 3 is even possible with the windows version at the moment.
There is some work going on with VA API, which might mean in the future a core i3 would be a good basis for a htpc, and if xbmc supports the HD uncompressed formats the core i3 can do it on chip which could be very interesting.

The core i3 is a bit more expensive though as you have to buy ddr3 which is a bit more expensive than ddr2 and the motherboard/processor is quite expensive for what you need as well.

Some of the ATI cards have the audio element, but the offloading support isnt as good, and, still, i dont think xbmc can make use of its audio abilities, someone correct me if i'm wrong?
Kode, Thanks for the reply. Let me clarify. I am using the windows version only for testing. I have no issue with a linux based version as unraid is causing me to rehone my Linux skills.

The video and audio playback issues are key to me. Since it will be feeding a very capable A/V processor, I really require the full uncompressed audio and video streams. The A/V processor handles all audio decoding and all video scaling.

I will dedicate the box to this one function, XBMC. If I go this way It will probably even cause me to rethink my Library system, Although for large collections a really like a nice simple 2-up (2x25) listing of titles with the ability to get all info, cover art etc. on demand.

In my initial post I left out UN in undecoded. I ant the raw audio bitstreams. The A/V will do th decoding. My thoughts are that if the unit (XBMC) needs to do no audio decoding or scaling I should be able to find something out there!.

Size wise I like a slim form factor desktop so it looks like A/V equipment. I am sure I can find a case I like. Price wise almost anything goes but I do not like to spend money when I do not have to. If the case is ugly it will be buried in my theater since it will be used strictly via IP based control.

Thanks again
I know what you mean, i have an Onkyo SR577 A/V Receiver, so i'd love to be able to pass the audio to it, i think the issue is one to do with licences, which xbmc dont have, or something like that.
I would assume that a license is necessary to decode the streams but not to just transmit them. It appears that all of the hardware builders envision that the "HTPC" Should connect to the TV directly and the TV should decode the audio.

I am looking a little at the ATI 5450 card as that seems to be able to do what I want. The card for azuntech appears to be a bit too pricey.

I have a Dune player which I really like, but want IP control. It is difficult to navigate through a 500+ Disk librray using cursor commands. Dune indicates that IP control will be forthcoming, but forthcoming is very nebulous.

With XBMC and a couple of IP commands I can have it directly access a file on the unRaid NAS.
I think the issue is bitstreaming it, if you send it as multichannel pcm to the receiver, i believe thats possible, have a look here for a bit more info http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...uehd+sound also from what i have seen its only maybe possible on windows, not linux/live, which means you dont get the VDPAU which is a pain.
barrygordon Wrote:I would assume that a license is necessary to decode the streams but not to just transmit them. It appears that all of the hardware builders envision that the "HTPC" Should connect to the TV directly and the TV should decode the audio.

No, for many audio codecs they are "open" so no license is needed to decode.

Most around here either get by with DTS/AC3 bitstreaming or 8 channel PCM. HD audio bitstreaming is not popular in the community because:

1. Nvidia doesn't support it (and they are kinda the backbone of much of what happens here)
2. Linux doesn't support it, and might not for some time.

I have a nice reciever that can decode DTS HD and Dolby True HD audio, yet I do all my decoding on my ION box for these two reasons. The box passes uncompressed 7 channel audio to my receiver that is of the same quality as the tracks not decoded.

As far as I am concerned, bitstreaming HD audio is the white whale of the HTPC community. Bitstreaming has almost no advantages compared to decoding on the HTPC, except the receiver you paid good money for shows one light that makes you feel better...
I have no issue with PCM or LPCM as the audio stream as long as it is coming over the HDMI Connection. I believe my A/V prepro can handle both of them. I would still like to hear a mobo/graphics/audio card commbo that meets my needs. I can configure everything else tp build a system. I just don't want to toss away a bundle of cash when it does not work properly. Ideally there is someone out there that is doing just this and could tell mne what equipment they are using and which XBMC version (Linux, Ubuntu, Live, Win) they are running.

When you say you are sending 7 channel audio, did you mean 8 (7.1)? Could you tell me your hardware configuration?
I personally only have a 6.1 setup speakerwise, but I am sure the equipment is transmitting 7.1 and I am just losing the last channel.

As far as what I have, here is my hardware thread, then the guide I used:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71784

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71609

In short, I have a Zotac ION1....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendation for XBMC platform0