A screensaver with low CPU and playback videos
In the xbmc windows faq it states that the windows port of XBMC will always use x% of CPU due to its original design from the xbox being game driven and not multi-threaded.

One of the suggestions is to put the XP blank screen saver on which sends XBMC in to low FPS mode (and uses less resources).

I personally find the xbmc screensaver for picture slideshow does not hit half of the pictures in my library, often repeating the same ones which suggests the algorithm for picture selection may need refining.

My thinking is to use an XP screensaver which supports video playback (no sound) and picture slideshow with better picture selection and also solve the above CPU problem.

Has anyone tried this and had any success? I note the default XP s/s one does not playback videos.

Ex
That would be something to make a request for in the developer section of the forum.

If you're concerned about power, you can always turn things off when you're done using them (TV, receiver, computer). Its what I do. I can't be leaving my Plasma on all day lol (consumes 600W while on!).

And you're right, XBMC was originally designed and developed using a game-oriented approach, and not an application-oriented one.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
This is not a developer request, in fact a workaround by using a standard XP screensaver.

I was just wondering if anyone was doing the same?

I leave my XBMC on all the time which I guess means it is using more juice than if it were in low FPS mode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A screensaver with low CPU and playback videos0