XBMC Live "Error: Function not implemented"
Hi All,

I have been a long time XBMC fan and user via a number of modified original Xbox's over the years. In this time, I have never had any problems with streaming audio/video etc. from Network Shares on my PC (SMB via XP Pro and now Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit). With the purchase of a new TV, I decided to look into taking advantage of 1080p video, and knowing that the original Xbox's had issues with this type of content, decided to go down the HTPC path. As such, I have just purchased a Zotac MAG, and absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I have a problem...

Being a linux noob, I decided rather than install Ubuntu and then XBMC for Linux, to download the XBMC Live (v.9.11) and uNetbootin USB installer. I have done this, installed XBMC Live off the USB, and it is running beautifully (Confluence Skin as default). Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get the system to access Network Shares on my Windows 7 Ultimate machine. This is despite the fact that my existing Original Xbox has no problem accessing the same Network Shares. When I add a new source, and browse to my Workgroup, I can see my PC, however when I select it I get a "Error: Function not implemented" notification.

I have done some research here and on other sites and have tried absolutely everything suggested, but unfortunately I still cannot get my XBMC Live to access my Network Shares.

Things I have tried:

1. Looked into un-installing Windows Live Sign-In Assistant, however it is not currently installed on my system anyway, and considering I am running 32bit I dont believe this to have any impact

2. Turned off Windows Firewall, and made sure all Shared Folders are shared to 'Everyone' with read and write permissions

3. From the Command Line (Ctrl+Alt+F1), installed smbfs and smclient (for a linux noob I was pretty happy getting this to work) - as a side note, I found instructions on setting up a share on the Zotac. I can now browse to this share via Windows Explorer, and transfer movies/tv shows etc to it, and these play fine.

4. Added a registry entry into Windows 'Smb2' and put default value to 1 (I have just read that this may need to be set to 0 (disabled) - perhaps this is the issue... I will try this when I get home from work this evening)

5. Added 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse' to sources.list, and ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade (again I was impressed that I managed to do this).

6. Tried adding in the source manually i.e. smb://ipaddress/server name/shared folder - this results in an Error 2: Share not available. I would rather not do this anyway as I am running DHCP across my network and the ipaddress of my PC does change occassionally.

I am sure there are other things I have tried but I cant remember right now. What I have deduced is that the problem is with the XBMC Live and/or Ubuntu Kernel on my Zotac, as this problem doesnt exist between my original Xbox and Windows 7 PC, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone successfully overcome the "Error: Function not implemented" issue? I have read a suggestion to try the XCI install and to try the XBMCFreak install, but these are absolutely last resorts. Alternatively, I can try installing Ubuntu and then XBMC for Linux, but considering this box is only for HTPC purposes I am hoping to resolve this XBMC Live issue.

Thanks guys, sorry about the long-winded post...

Inumerate (Australian, but please don't hold that against me) Smile
Access your share using the form smb://ipaddress/folder, and check access permissions on your share.

That should do it.
Joao Wrote:Access your share using the form smb://ipaddress/folder, and check access permissions on your share.

That should do it.

This is something that doesn't work either, and I don't want to do this anyway as I run DHCP across my network.

6. Tried adding in the source manually i.e. smb://ipaddress/server name/shared folder - this results in an Error 2: Share not available. I would rather not do this anyway as I am running DHCP across my network and the ipaddress of my PC does change occassionally.

*Edit: Putting in smb://Server/Folder (i.e. not putting any ip address in) seems to work. As such, I should theoretically be able to set and forget as the system will reference the Server and not the IP Address. Still, browsing the Workgroups shares should still work so I will continue to research
Inumerate Wrote:This is something that doesn't work either, and I don't want to do this anyway as I run DHCP across my network.

*Edit: Putting in smb://Server/Folder (i.e. not putting any ip address in) seems to work. As such, I should theoretically be able to set and forget as the system will reference the Server and not the IP Address. Still, browsing the Workgroups shares should still work so I will continue to research

This just worked for me as well. Thanks!
Inumerate Wrote:This is something that doesn't work either, and I don't want to do this anyway as I run DHCP across my network.

Fantastic that worked for me.....smb://servername/sharename

Frank

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live "Error: Function not implemented"0