Uknown items in library movie mode. Maybe .dat files from partial downloads?
I believe it's the ".dat" file the uTorrent creates for some downloads that is being picked up by xbmc and trying to be shown in the library. I've created and modified a file called advancedsettings.xml and put into my userdata folder and added the following lines:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videoextensions>
    <remove>.dat</remove>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

After I cleaned the library and restarted, but these mystery items still remain. Any ideas as to what they could be, how to see the actual filename being referenced in that mode, and/or how to get rid of them? Thanks.
you are probably correct about the problem. however, the files are still there, so a clean library won't remove the associated movies. you can see the filenames in the info window.
Heh. Yeah I think they are partial torrent chunks. The support for the .dat extension is from the old days of vcd and svcd's. I'd leave them as a valid video file extension, for legacy support sake, but just exclude them from scanning with this in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<video>
  <excludefromscan>
    <regexp>[\._- ]trailer</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._- ]sample</regexp>
    <regexp>\.dat$</regexp>
  </excludefromscan>
</video>

This way you;ll see them in files view, if happen to still have any vcd/svcd's around, but they won't ever wind up in the library.

** note **
I just took a peek at the default regexps in AdvancedSettings.cpp and a bunch from stacking and exclude don't have the period escaped.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for the replies. Still no luck. Here is my advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
  <excludefromscan>
    <regexp>[\._- ]trailer</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._- ]sample</regexp>
    <regexp>\.dat$</regexp>
  </excludefromscan>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

Is there anything I'm supposed to do after editing the file? I tried with and without escaping the "." in front of the "dat". Should I remove the parent movie folder that contains everything and re-add them? Maybe my xml isn't being read...is there a way to check to see if it's being used?
log tells if it's used.

but this will STILL not remove those movies which are already scanned.
Just nuke the f***ers already.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Uknown items in library movie mode. Maybe .dat files from partial downloads?0