Best OS version of XBMC for Acer r3600
I will shortly be getting a new Acer Revo 3600 to replace my current XMBC set-up and want to know what OS version is going to be best for me in regards to hardware utilisation.

I current run XBMC on a box which runs Windows Home Server and this box will still exisit to hold all of my media and automation. All I will need the Revo to do is run XBMC and get the media from my server.

I am guessing that Live would probably be my best, but will there be much (if any) of a performance drop if I use Windows?
I like Linux because it makes the box a "media appliance" which is very family friendly.

Using Windows will probably give you an interface performance drop, but none on playback (as long as you use Windows 7).
Live is what you install if you want an appliance.
Windows is what you install if you want to do desktop things, ie. browse, play games, etc.

Personally, I use Live. Install is a snap and it just works with no Windows oddities.
Has anyone been able to get the wireless keyboard and mouse that comes with the Revo 3610 to work under XBMC Live?
I've got the Revo 3610 and the bundled wireless keyboard and mouse work in XBMC Live right out-of-the-box.
Does anything special have to be done? The receiver is built into the computer right (no external receiver). I tried pressing the "connect" button but get nothing. Anything else required? I installed the 9.04 version and then upgraded to 9.11. I am wondering if the 9.11 installer/build has the drivers and the 9.04 version doesnt?
drsung Wrote:Does anything special have to be done? The receiver is built into the computer right (no external receiver).

No, theres a USB wireless adapter. Check the mouse, its clipped to the underside of it.
Found it! Works great with it plugged in!! Smile Thanks
Hi, how easy or dificult is it to use the wifi N connection in the xbmc live version... that is the thing that worries me most is getting it set-up, i know in win 7 i will succeed but on the "live" side of things i have no clue...

When i search for info i get a lot of commands which have to be typed... is there no fool proof way , for example an app that you run to set up wifi?

thx
smalla Wrote:Hi, how easy or dificult is it to use the wifi N connection in the xbmc live version... that is the thing that worries me most is getting it set-up, i know in win 7 i will succeed but on the "live" side of things i have no clue...

When i search for info i get a lot of commands which have to be typed... is there no fool proof way , for example an app that you run to set up wifi?

thx

Well the problem is that with XBMC Live it does not by default install a real GUI desktop to work with such as Gnome or KDE (please look those terms up if you don't know what they mean as that is a good intro to Linux). So you are "forced" to use the command-line to install things.

An alternative is to load up the full Ubuntu from their website, then install XBMC on top of that. As long as you make all the user names "xbmc" then you can even install XBMC Live's metapackage to make it boot to XBMC by default.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best OS version of XBMC for Acer r36000