[Live] Complete Acer Revo 1600 install and set-up guide
Obviously you'll need an Acer Revo $199

Things you SHOULD buy to make your life alot easier:

AVS Gear HA-IR01SV MCE Remote $21 - Works perfectly first time. You don't want to waste your time with a cheaper receiver/remote; TRUST ME ;-)

ASUS SDR-08B1-U Slim external DVD drive $39 - Only uses 1 usb, makes installing XBMC super easy and allows you to play DVD's in XBMC
Or a blu-ray external drive $150

Crucial 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 800 RAM - To help with any 1080p playback stuttering you might have, not completely necessary I don't think.

Programs you should download:

Putty - Allows you to do all the command line work from your main desktop.

XBMC Live image - burn with your favorite program for DVD install
http://xbmc.org/download/ <-- Click "Live". Download, unRar, burn
If you are installing via a USB drive try this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=452299&postcount=1

**Here is a video tutorial on how to open the revo in case you purchased more RAM. The US model doesn't have a warranty sticker and the case will require some force to open, but there is only one screw on the bottom to remove. Make sure you shove the ram all the way into it's socket. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayQOyTEWRw**

INITIAL SETUP
Power on the Revo and press 'Delete' to enter the bios
In 'advanced bios features' change your '1st boot device' to your external CD-rom or your USB thumb drive
In 'advanced chipset features' change your 'iGPU frame buffer size' to 256MB (or 512MB if you put 2gb of ram in)
In 'power management setup' turn on wake on LAN and wake on USB
Press F10 to save and exit

Install XBMC Live
Choose install to disk
Guided use whole drive

**The rest of this can be done from the Revo or from your main computer. You just need to install 'Putty' and know the ip address of the Revo on the network. If your using putty you can skip the exiting out of XBMC steps below.**

SETUP FOR ROOT ACCESS
Once XBMC loads and starts up, exit out with the power button icon in the bottom left corner
Enter the user/pass you created while installing
Type: sudo passwd root
Enter in original password and a new(or same) password for 'root'

SETUP FOR WAKE ON USB
Type: nano /etc/rc.local
At the bottom at the line before 'exit 0' Add:
Quote:echo USB0>/proc/acpi/wakeup
echo "rc.local has completed successfully." >> /tmp/resume.log
Press ctrl+X and save
Type: nano /proc/acpi/wakeup
Edit the 'USB0' line to say enabled instead of disabled
Press ctrl+X and save
Type: Reboot
Once XBMC restarts exit out and login in with 'root' and the pass you set
Type: cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Make sure the USB0 line says enabled

ENABLE 60HZ REFRESH RATE

Type: nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Scroll down about half way until the section "Screen",Under the line: Option "NoLogo" "True"
Type: Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
Press Ctrl+X and save

SETUP FOR SAMBA - WINDOWS SHARES
Type: apt-get update
Type: apt-get install samba
Confirm Y for yes
Once XBMC restarts exit out and login in with 'root'
Type: mkdir /home/(your user name)/Media <---this is case sensitive
Type: nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
Scroll to the very bottom and type:

Quote:[Media]
path = /home/(your user name)/Media <---this is case sensitive
force user = root
inherit permissions = yes
read only = no
guest ok = yes

[System]
path = /home/(your user name)/.XBMC <---this is case sensitive (and it is .XBMC not just XBMC)
force user = root
inherit permissions = yes
read only = no
guest ok = yes
Press ctrl+X and save

SETTINGS TO CHANGE
In XBMC go to System->Appearance-> disable "Show RSS feeds" at the bottom
System->Videos->Playback: Render method:VDPAU
System->System->Audio Output: Audio output: Digital; Audio Output Device: HDMI; Pass-through Output Device: HDMI
System->Power Savings: Shutdown Function: Suspend

***This next section is to customize buttons on the remote control to do things such as import/clean your video library and disable/enable subtitles; though there are many other things you could customize too. This also assumes you purchased the AVS Gear HA-IR01SV, but it could/should work for other remotes if they are working basically already.***

SETUP CUSTOM REMOTE BUTTONS
Exit out of XBMC and log in as 'Root' or simply ssh in with 'Putty' from your desktop and log in as root

Type: cp /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml /home/(USERNAME)/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps

Type: cd /home/(USERNAME)/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/

Type: mv remote.xml keymap.xml

Type: nano keymap.xml

Scroll down to the first section that starts after:
<keymap>
<global>
<remote>

Change anything you wish to something from THIS & THIS(list at bottom) list. For example- I want the #1 key to update my video's, so I change:
<one>Number1</one> --> <one>UpdateLibrary(video)</one>
Another example: <two>JumpSMS2</two> --> <two>CleanLibrary(video)</two>

After you finish setting those shortcuts, scroll down to the section:
<FullScreenVideo>
<remote>

This will allow you to change buttons for when a video is playing, importantly- enable/disable subtitles.
Simply change the: <subtitle>ShowSubtitles</subtitle> to a key your not using, IE: <one>ShowSubtitles</one>
You should also remove the key used (<one>Number1</one>) from the list, although it doesn't seem to be necessary.

When done press: Ctrl+X and save

Your Revo should be 100% working now. This is info that has taken me 2 weeks of trial and error, I hope it helps someone!

Another little hint for adding a networked share source: Click 'add source' --> 'browse' --> 'add network location' and set it up as follows:

Protocol: SMB
Server name: (ip address)/(shared folder name) ie: "10.0.0.8/Media"
Shared Folder: leave blank
Username: (the shared pc's user name)
Password: (the shared pc's password)

Click OK and it should become a selectable share in the list.

* If you have windows 7 and your share disconnects after awhile, follow THIS guide*
Great guide thank you. Mine is already set up, but the remote programming section is useful to me
No problem. I tried to find the easiest way to reprogram remote buttons. Instead of trying to learn remote codes and editing 3-4 different files you can just remap what your most likely unused #1-9 buttons do.
Cool...

Nice tip on the 60Hz. I noticed my revo is outputting at 50hz, 1080p. Do you recommend switching to 60hz? The tv natively does 60hz.
TheDuffMan Wrote:Cool...

Nice tip on the 60Hz. I noticed my revo is outputting at 50hz, 1080p. Do you recommend switching to 60hz? The tv natively does 60hz.

I found that even though XBMC was in 1080p 50hz that my tv would force it into 60hz. This might not be true for everyone though so might as well enable it.
Anyone know why when I change my keymap.xml file nothing changes using Adesso MCE remote on a Revo 1600 with Live 9.11
For instance I change <one>Number1</one> --> <one>OSD</one> save, reboot, then when I play a movie and hit "1" I get (i think) seek options, not OSD.
So, I've followed this guide, but I still have one issue. No sound. I am using the headphone out jack, but my settings have it going through HDMI. iec9987 is not enabled in my alsamixer....
waverz Wrote:Anyone know why when I change my keymap.xml file nothing changes using Adesso MCE remote on a Revo 1600 with Live 9.11
For instance I change <one>Number1</one> --> <one>OSD</one> save, reboot, then when I play a movie and hit "1" I get (i think) seek options, not OSD.

I thought the OSD was the seek options. I'm not sure what your looking for to pop up, but XBMC live is opening whatever it considers OSD to be. Maybe play around and change 'OSD' to something else from those lists until you get what your expecting.

@JBruckner - I've never even tried the headphone jack to be honest, but your gonna have to change a setting so the audio out is analog and perhaps downmixed.
JBruckner Wrote:So, I've followed this guide, but I still have one issue. No sound. I am using the headphone out jack, but my settings have it going through HDMI. iec9987 is not enabled in my alsamixer....

Make sure your /etc/asound.conf file is empty.
Okay, my problem is when i make changes to the file it doesn't save them. After editing I type
control-x, it asks if I want to save the modified buffer?
Type "Y"
Then it says File to name to write keymap.xml
I hit "enter" here and go back and check it and my changes are gone.

Any ideas. I am running XBMC LIVE 9.11 off of a SD card.
^^ ok, try this

sudo pico /etc/asound.conf

Remove everything from the file

press ctrl+o and then enter
press crtl+x (or q i cant remember) to exit

you should be good to go

@kdeuce or anyone else who uses this remote. Do you have a list of the buttons(keys) for use in the keymaps file?
I have followed basically the same steps as your guide, but my wake from suspend is still screwing up.

Basically it works once, but if I suspend and try to wake again, all I get is a blinking cursor, and I have to hold the power button to reboot. I have looked around for a solution, but nothing yet. Does this happen to you?

Also, I am having an odd issue with my samba shares. I find that i have to reset my wireless router before my windows PC can see my xbmc samba shares, and thats only after I type in the IP address into the explorer address bar. Before I was able to access them through the names I had given them in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

Sorry to dump my problems here, just wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems.
^^ That solution I posted was to get the sound working out of the analog jack. Not to fix wake from usb.
Devm - not sure what's going on with your suspend but as for the samba shares... I think perhaps your router is reassigning ip addresses to your computers. Maybe try going into your routers settings and assigning static ip's to your computers.
kdeuce - I'm pretty sure it's always assigning the same IP, as i always type the same one to access my xbmc box.

Something else wierd, if i turn on my xbmc box, and then i log into my router's config page i can see the xbmc box in the list of wireless devices, but the IP is 0.0.0.0. So something is going on where the xbmc box is not grabbing an IP when it turns on?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Complete Acer Revo 1600 install and set-up guide0