no sound on avi files with mp3
Hello,

Im new here & to XBMC and i have a problem i hope you can help me with, i will try and post in a useful manner, so here goes:

1st off, i have searched both this forum & google, and have found this to be a common problem, however in every instance i found they were on Linux. I am running windows 7, so the typical solution to the much asked question is of no help to me.

Hardware:
Motherboard: Asus M4A785t-M - I am using onboard sound & video
CPU: AMD X4-630
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333

Software:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
XBMC SVN Rev28275
Realtek HD Audio driver Version 6.01.5880
Aeon Skin

I have my HTPC connected via an Optical cable to my Yamaha AV Receiver (HTR-6130). My .avi files with Dolby sound (ac3) play fine, however the ones with mp3 audio, are just silent.

Now if i play the same avi files in VLC, i can hear it fine, so im thinking its an issue with XBMC?

As soon as i find a flash drive i will get the Debug log off the other machine for you, sorry for the delay, they all gone missing. (anyone with kids will understand Big Grin)

Thanks in advance.
Try to set "send sound to all speakers" in video OSD.
I dont even see that option anywhere?
inv3ntor Wrote:Hello,

Im new here & to XBMC and i have a problem i hope you can help me with, i will try and post in a useful manner, so here goes:

1st off, i have searched both this forum & google, and have found this to be a common problem, however in every instance i found they were on Linux. I am running windows 7, so the typical solution to the much asked question is of no help to me.

Hardware:
Motherboard: Asus M4A785t-M - I am using onboard sound & video
CPU: AMD X4-630
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333

Software:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
XBMC SVN Rev28275
Realtek HD Audio driver Version 6.01.5880
Aeon Skin

I have my HTPC connected via an Optical cable to my Yamaha AV Receiver (HTR-6130). My .avi files with Dolby sound (ac3) play fine, however the ones with mp3 audio, are just silent.

Now if i play the same avi files in VLC, i can hear it fine, so im thinking its an issue with XBMC?

As soon as i find a flash drive i will get the Debug log off the other machine for you, sorry for the delay, they all gone missing. (anyone with kids will understand Big Grin)

Thanks in advance.

Make sure your Audio settings are correct - go to System\System\Audio Output (these are the diretions from Confluence, they may be slightly different in Aeon) - make sure those settings are set correctly. If you're receiver won't decode mp3 audio natively then make sure the 'mp3 capable receiver' radio button is unchecked. This will force xbmc to decode the stream internally and send it to your receiver.
steelman1991 Wrote:If you're receiver won't decode mp3 audio natively then make sure the 'mp3 capable receiver' radio button is unchecked. This will force xbmc to decode the stream internally and send it to your receiver.

Wow! Thats all it was, i feel kinda silly now. Guess my receiver could not decode mp3.

Thanks alot!
inv3ntor Wrote:Wow! Thats all it was, i feel kinda silly now. Guess my receiver could not decode mp3.

Thanks alot!

Don't feel silly, I struggled with it for weeks and only yesterday realised what was wrong. Glad its working for you now.
inv3ntor Wrote:Wow! Thats all it was, i feel kinda silly now. Guess my receiver could not decode mp3.

Thanks alot!

I've tried all that, and it still doesn't work for me.

I have a DTS/AC3 Capable reciever, tried unchecking/checking mp1-3 but it doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?

This ONLY happens on everything that's less than 5.1/DTS/AC3, aka mp3-4 2 channel etc

EDIT: Running headphones through my onboard soundcard, I can hear the audio just fine, but everytime I plug into my reciever, nothing... unless it's 5.1 AC3/DTS
*bump*
greenfish Wrote:I've tried all that, and it still doesn't work for me.

I have a DTS/AC3 Capable reciever, tried unchecking/checking mp1-3 but it doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?

This ONLY happens on everything that's less than 5.1/DTS/AC3, aka mp3-4 2 channel etc

EDIT: Running headphones through my onboard soundcard, I can hear the audio just fine, but everytime I plug into my reciever, nothing... unless it's 5.1 AC3/DTS
Are you hooked up vie HDMI or Optical - either way make sure the correct hook-up method is chosen in your audio settings and 'uncheck' the mp3 capable radio button, unless your receiver can decode the stream (There are very few about that can).
steelman1991 Wrote:Are you hooked up vie HDMI or Optical - either way make sure the correct hook-up method is chosen in your audio settings and 'uncheck' the mp3 capable radio button, unless your receiver can decode the stream (There are very few about that can).

Hey, a response, thanks Smile

Optical, using "automatic" settings in xbmc. I've just checked and there's no "mp3 radio button" under audio or any setting in my xbmc build (xbmc-svn aeon hitched).

I only have mp1-3 in audio settings, but enabling/disabling those does nothing for me.

Are you saying there's suppose to be an audio setting labeled "mp3 radio" somewhere?

Thank You
I have the same issue...

For me, I have to individually change the audio output from digital to analog when playing some avi files to get sound. You can do this by clicking the speaker icon (depending on your skin) when the video is playing.

The receiver then receives a PCM audio signal over the optical connection.
I also have the problem with no audio from avi movies with mp3 sound.

My HTPC is set up as follows:
Asus P7H55D-EVO with an Intel Core I3 CPU.
I am using onboard sound and graphics.
I have connected the computer with a HDMI cable to my TV, and I have used an optical cable to my amplifier that supports AC3 and DTS.
Windows 7 Ultimate
XBMC 9.11 ShowMix with skin 2.5

I have tried to change from digital to analog sound. I have turned off the AC3 and DTS Settings/System /Audio Output

But I do not get any sound.
Regular MP3 files and other movie files with AC3 or DTS works great.

Have tried the movies that's not working at my laptop. And they both work fine with VLC and XBMC.

Anybody have any suggestions for how I can get it to work between HTPC'en and my amplifier with an optical cable?

I see that it has been mentioned that it helps to turn off 'mp3 capable receiver', but I do not have this option. At least, I don't find it.
arefsahl Wrote:I also have the problem with no audio from avi movies with mp3 sound.

My HTPC is set up as follows:
Asus P7H55D-EVO with an Intel Core I3 CPU.
I am using onboard sound and graphics.
I have connected the computer with a HDMI cable to my TV, and I have used an optical cable to my amplifier that supports AC3 and DTS.
Windows 7 Ultimate
XBMC 9.11 ShowMix with skin 2.5

I have tried to change from digital to analog sound. I have turned off the AC3 and DTS Settings/System /Audio Output

But I do not get any sound.
Regular MP3 files and other movie files with AC3 or DTS works great.

Have tried the movies that's not working at my laptop. And they both work fine with VLC and XBMC.

Anybody have any suggestions for how I can get it to work between HTPC'en and my amplifier with an optical cable?

I see that it has been mentioned that it helps to turn off 'mp3 capable receiver', but I do not have this option. At least, I don't find it.
These options may only be available on later dev/svn builds and not the one you have.
I am runing eden and I have this problem and its pissing me off big time Sad

I have no audio in files with mp3 sound but no problems with dts and dolby.

I have checked in system / system / audio but I have not setting about mp3

I have:

Audio Output: optical/coax
Speaker Conf: 5.1
Boost downmix: on
Dolby Ac3: on
DTS: on
Audio output: wasapi: digital output

Suggestions VERY welcome
Hmm I removed all settings form the settings folder and then set them back to the same as before now it seams to work..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no sound on avi files with mp31