Parental control locking features of some sorts with a simple interface and settings?
What we have today is Profiles.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello,

I've searched the board but couldn't find any acceptable solution for Parental Control.

I would like to use some Adult oriented plugins (youtube like), but I don't want my little son to access them too Sad

Adding lock possibility to context menu so you can password protect folders/plugins directly from XBMC is something I find as a great option to have.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work - respect!
uhrrr

you can already do just that. or, even better, just give your son his own separate profile.
Hello, thank you for reply.

I'm aware about profiles, but that's not what I had in mind.
Right click context menu solution would be more elegant way.

If you can give me some tips, I will try to make this myself.

Thx.
yeah. as i said already supported. enable the master lock. right click the source in question. have fun.
Eek

Thx, I'm so sorry I didn't see this, how stupid of me...

Cheers...
no worries, it's a bit hidden
Lightbulb 
I did do a quick search but couldn't find this combo request...

Would it be possible to have parental control via the reading of locale film certification that's stored in the .nfo files (or metadata?)

Users could then set a level (e.g. UK PG 12) above which a pin is required to continue?

I know profiles are an option but it becomes a pain in the backside having multiple profiles over multiple boxes in multiple rooms Eek

Cheers
no.
Ok no worries.

...is there anyway to add the master lock/unlock option to the library menus?
I've just noticed that as long as my 12+ folder is locked it doesn't appear in the library but it does as soon as its been unlocked.

(feel a bit of a tw@t for not playing with the master lock feature before Sad)
Do worry I just found it in Mediastream!

What a muppet Eek I think I should turn off all electronic equipment and go read a book today instead Confused
yes, that's currently working but we are seriously contemplating removing that as well as it complicates our code tons. we really need to come up with a better plan altogether, however manually requiring the user to flag each movie is not a sound one imo.
I wasn't sure if the <certification>UKTongueG</certification> line in the scraped .nfo files could be used somehow...

I've sort of assumed that most people who are using the library function are using the offline scrapers like Ember etc.
i think that assumption is nowhere near reality. i have never ever touched any of those offline thingies. nor will i ever. if i miss something i add it to xbmc instead.

yes, using certification info from the scrapers is a possibility. problem with that is it's not foolproof, i.e. tons of movies lack the info. that being said, the only thing being foolproof is observant parents anyways.
The "plan" (if I ever get around to it ofcourse, which is getting less and less likely all the time :p ) was to do locking per "source" as it is now.

The library retrieval would then be per-source as well, thus making it much simpler to implement parental controls - click on a library "source" and it'll prompt ya for a pass or simply wouldn't show it.

The main problem with this is it might make it more difficult to provide aggregate listings across multiple sources.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parental control locking features of some sorts with a simple interface and settings?1