Parental control locking features of some sorts with a simple interface and settings?
Hi im running Transparency on a PC and its great. Im getting my Son a small PC for his room which will use his TV as the screen and he want to use it for streaming movies.

However at 11 years old he isnt ready for everything i have on there so is there an plugin that can look at the age rating from imdb ect and hide all movies say above a 15/18?

Cheers
no, simplest way is to create a seperate share with the movies you want him to be able to see, then lock his profile so he can't add sources etc..
What I've done more or less is what has already been mentioned.

I have this structure on my system.

Tv Shows
- Adult Like
- Kiddy

Movies
- Adult Like
- Kiddy

Names are different but you get the idea. In the living room I have my PC setup to add/scan all files in the Tv Shows Folder and the Movies folder.

In the guest room where my kid sometimes watches I have it set up to scan only the Tv shows/Kiddy folder and the Movies/Kiddy folder.

I have the sources added, but set to not scan so if I'm watching a Show/Movie with him in the guest room I can more or less view via file view mode and I can filter out what he can/can not watch with me. He is only 4years old, but I'm sure an 11year old would figure out the file view stuff so it might be something you might have to avoid.
spiff Wrote:yes, that's currently working but we are seriously contemplating removing that as well as it complicates our code tons. we really need to come up with a better plan altogether, however manually requiring the user to flag each movie is not a sound one imo.

As a parent that is exactly what I would want to be able to do! Explicitly select which films my kids can and can't watch irrespective of the film board ratings!
I know that the library mode is a lot of work, but maybe a suggestion which would possibly eliminate much of the other complaining (about how it doesn't work for those who like file mode) would be this: Have multiple library "sections". Assign sources to a particular section. Be able to do a parental lock on a section, just like you can on a source. So on the Video home screen, where you've got "Movies", the user could customize it to Kids Movies and Parent's Movies. Allow different sources to be assigned to each, and a lock could go on the Parent's Movies section. I'm sure that's a ton of code work, just an idea. Thanks.
gritnix thats a good idea. And is probably a lot of work.
If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
This may seem like a extremely stupid Q... (And it was)

But I cant seem to find any option to add another profile?
Dont have access to a settings component can only see system within XBMC home page.

Currently running 9.11 on win 7 x64.
Although I was trying out a few different nightly versions and wondering if I screwed the pooch somewhere along the line.

Anyway I'm possibly doing sommin stupid but this feature will be ideal for stopping my inquisitive young kids.

My bad I had never seen the sub menu available from system....
spiff Wrote:uhrrr

you can already do just that. or, even better, just give your son his own separate profile.

As far as I can see Profiles only allow to lock the particular sections (ie video) How do I lock just the 18 rated films?

I would love functionality like my Virgin Media box has. When you select a 18 rated film a pin box pops up. It works brilliantly.

It would be best if this could be automatic so that XBMC detects the film rating but equally I would be just happy being able to password protect certain folders as I could then just drop the 18 rated films into the locked folder.

If you can do a similar thing with profiles then please let me know but even if it does I think profiles are a little clunky (ie having to switch profiles to access content) for this particular functionality although I can see that they would be great for locking down features.
password protecting certain folders was EXACTLY what i pointed the other guy to in my next post.
spiff Wrote:password protecting certain folders was EXACTLY what i pointed the other guy to in my next post.

Thank you, it was the right click that threw me as I use a remote (obviously which does not have a right click). I will take a look when I get home as I think that would solve my problem. Will this prevent the system from auto updating the information on the movies in the locked folder?
very likely it won't stop the auto update. but the movies on a locked source will be hidden in your library until you either unlock it or enter master mode.
Yes, I desperately need a parental lock from specific sources, ratings, and exiting the software.

Still, Awesome program
When will there be parental locks for sources, ratings, and not allowing an unauthorized user from exiting the software
wanabkolob Wrote:When will there be parental locks for sources, ratings, and not allowing an unauthorized user from exiting the software

Problem 1
Whats stopping them from watching the vids anyways through using the file mode.

Problem 2
This could potentially cause a user (legit and authorized) from being able to close XBMC.
there are locks for sources. there will never be locks per rating. if you want to censor your media, at least have the will to do it yourself, instead of trusting the mafiaa or the likes. there's no poweroff lock currently, it's your task to secure the system. if you don't want peeps fecking around on your box, simply make it auto-logout.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parental control locking features of some sorts with a simple interface and settings?1