Recommended DVD/Blu-Ray Ripper
Lunarpancake Wrote:xbmc does not currently play m2ts files well enough to watch.

Why is it they look stunning on my 110" front projection setup?

Maybe your install is borked.
I can vote for MakeMKV. It's simply amazing software. So simple to use, doesn't bother transcoding (which is ideal for me and for the OP I see), captures all chapter information, and all the audio, video and subtitle tracks from a DVD or Bluray into a nice convenient MKV file that will play back perfectly on XBMC, guaranteed, aswell as PS3, XBOX, etc.

Also, it doesn't really care weather you're ripping a DVD or a Bluray, the process is the same. It's updated regularly with new features (not that it needs any!), and from my experience with it the software is not buggy at all.

Add to this the fact that it's multi-platform, so it'll work great on Windows, but will also run fine if you ever switch to an XBMC Live (linux) system. You only need to learn to use one program, and you only need to pay for it once! (The license is transferable between different versions).

In fact, whilst the program is still in beta, it's free anyway, so you can try it for a while, then when it becomes pay-software (coming soon, I think), just buy the license and you're sorted for the foreseeable future (until the successor to bluray comes along).
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:Blu-ray .ISO is not supported my XBMC right now.

Correct, I thought I included that in my original post, but I got my threads mixed up. Support for playing Blu-Ray movies in an ISO container is coming, so I have stored my collection in that format in anticipation. For now I just mount the ISO to a drive letter and point XBMC to the largest M2TS file in the "STREAM" folder, works fine.

Also, there shouldn't be ANY difference between playing a re-muxed M2TS file and a Blu-Ray ISO/Disc in terms of performance, the only issue you may see if borked subs or audio tracks, but that is a different issue altogether.
lloydsmart Wrote:I can vote for MakeMKV. It's simply amazing software. So simple to use, doesn't bother transcoding (which is ideal for me and for the OP I see), captures all chapter information, and all the audio, video and subtitle tracks from a DVD or Bluray into a nice convenient MKV file that will play back perfectly on XBMC, guaranteed, aswell as PS3, XBOX, etc.

I wasn't aware MKV files play on PS3. In fact, I was sure they did not. If they do, does it matter what type of file was converted - H.264, Mpeg2 or VC-1?

I use XBMC, PLEX and PS3. I know PS3 will play my vobs nicely, various other files but no m2ts VC-1 files or as I though MKV.

Could you clarify this please.

- Phrehdd
My mistake, it doesn't play on PS3. Still ideal for the OP, though. :-)
Do MKVs play on Windows 7 Media Center out of curiosity?
Sure, provided you have the necessary codecs (Directshow Filters) installed.
Coming late to the party, but I'm another vote for AnyDVD-HD and MakeMKV. MakeMKV gets a bit grumpy that AnyDVD is there (it tells you it's unnecessary, but I think it is), but it works a treat. You just rip the titles you want off the disc (no menus, trailers, copyright warnings or other guff), and if you want to reduce the size further you can select only the soundtracks and subtitles you want.

Doing that I got a 40GB BluRay of Star Trek down to a 30GB .mkv with *no* loss in quality. And all I lost was soundtracks in languages I don't understand - score!

And another thumbs-up for .mkv containers - one file with everything I want; it's just so convenient.
I rip my DVD's with CloneDVD2 from Slysoft and rip my Bluray disks with Clown_BD (freeware). AnyDVDHD (slysoift once again) is always running to handle decryption.

I rip Blu rays to BluRay format (looks like what is on the disk) with certain stuff missing (alternate languages, alternate angles, basically just the main movie no trailers or bothersome dire warnings). Clown_BD is really just a workflow manager for a ripper (eac3to), a muxer (tsmuxer) and an image burner which I do not use. I rip with no transcoding so I get the highest quality images. The only disk that has failed is Hidalgo which I believe is a bad copy.

DVD's are ripped to standard video TS format.

I have no problem playing either types of rips on the XBMC (I use playfile therough the HTTPAPI since my theater system has an integrated Jukebox/library system. I point XBMC to either the m2ts file for blue ray or the video_TS.ifo for DVD's.

On XBMC I do not get True HD or Master audio but someday..... The rips do include these formats. When I send the files to a Dune player they play perfectly (except for Avatar which has some momentary audio drops) and the TrueHD and Master Audio codecs are invoked as the streams are there and the Dune player handles them.

Between the Dune player and XBMC The Dune player wins on "Appliance Like" as it is trivial to set up and basically works out of the box with an internal file browser, and smb for NAS stored files. No knowledge of Linux, Ubuntu, command lines, Windows is required.

The XBMC wins on flexibility for its internal jukebox, scraping, and general wow factor!

Dune wins on audio as it can play the new BluRay formats (True HD and Master Audio) .

Picture quality is very very close between the two.

Note the XBMC is running on an Asrock ION 330-PRO

Street price for the systems are about the same $300 to $400 depending on options. Dune comes with a Remote.
This may be a very silly question, but I have tried ripping some DVDs with about seven different programs, including all of those listed above and the result is always the same - a small letterbox sized picture in the middle of the screen.

I have tried adjusting the size, quality and zoom of the output but the result is always the same. The maximum resolution the programs allow me to choose is 720x526.

Can someone put me out of my misery please? All I want are my dvds to on the hard drive (not worried about compression) and a full screen picture!

Thanks in advance
Try my new addon
http://code.google.com/p/swiss-army-knife/
or my old script
http://code.google.com/p/luemmels-dvd-ripper/
linuxluemmel Wrote:Try my new addon
http://code.google.com/p/swiss-army-knife/
or my old script
http://code.google.com/p/luemmels-dvd-ripper/

Linux Only?
I've been using MakeMKV to rip all my blurays and it just plain works. I've noticed a few weird things though:

1) If I demux the mkv, I lose the chapter info unlike when ripped with anydvd.

2) I just ripped Avatar with forced subtitles. The subtitles and the end of a subtitled section stay on the screen for too long. Also, they are cyan instead of yellow?? <- Anyone know a fix for why they would stay on for awhile after a subtitle section?

3) I don't know if it's MakeMKV or not but on a very few disc it seems there was 2 copies (titles) of the main movie?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended DVD/Blu-Ray Ripper0