Question about setting up PVR backend/frontend...
Hello,

I currently use a Linux file server to store movies and stuff; my HTPC, running XBMC on Linux, streams content from it. Fairly standard config there.

But I was wondering which is the best configuration to incorporate PVR: a TV Tuner in the HTPC (the one connected to the TV), or a TV tuner in the server?

I'm currently in the planning stages of building a Mini-ITX system specifically as an HTPC -- I'm currently using an old Pentium 4 in a full ATX tower. This question popped into my head when looking at motherboards. If I install it via the HTPC, then that means I have to find a motherboard that has an expansion slot. Then I have to find a Mini-ITX case that supports expansion slots, and take into consideration the profile allowed (low or normal profile cards). I don't see very many compact mini-ITX cases that support expansion slots, so this will be fairly difficult.

So, I thought, why not centralize everything and stick the tuner in the server, and have the server stream content. Well, the main problem with this is: what if I install more HTPCs throughout the home? Will 2 or 3 clients be able to stream different TV shows at the same time? My guess is no, which leaves me with the first option...

Can anyone shed some light on the subject? thanks!
You can put the tv card in the server, but if you want each HTPC to be able to stream different TV channels at the same time, you'll have to have a seperate tuner for each of them, but these can still go in the server if you have enough slots.
I'd put it in the server personally and I'd suggest a dual tuner card so if you want to watch live tv in one channel and, record another program in another channel or watch on another HTPC.
Also i've been told to set only one of the two tuners for active EIT scanning and set slightly different tuning delays, for the two tuners. Because one is enough to gather all the eit data. If you set both tuners for active eit scanning you duplicate all the work on mythtv server and mysql, plus you occupy both cards; another program will not be able to use the card.
Also set both cards to be opened on demand, so that they can be free for other programs when not in use.
Thanks for the replies!

If I install it in the server, then I must make sure that there is one tuner for each HTPC, and make sure that each is a dual-tuner so that each TV can watch and record different things, correct?

What would happen if, say, I get one tuner, and I'm watching TV and recording a show and another person wtries to watch something on another TV? Since the two tuners are active, will they be present with an error or what? Also, If I'm recording the same channel I'm watching, does that take up two tuners or just one...

It seems to me that'll it'll be easier to install it in the HTPC to avoid some of these issues. On top of that, I currently have basic cable that doesn't require a set-top box. From what I've read, it becomes even more complicated when you have a set-top box...

I'm so confused. >.<
xgamer99 Wrote:If I install it in the server, then I must make sure that there is one tuner for each HTPC, and make sure that each is a dual-tuner so that each TV can watch and record different things, correct?

Yes, except you don't have to install it in the server (I love my HDhomeruns).

Quote:What would happen if, say, I get one tuner, and I'm watching TV and recording a show and another person wtries to watch something on another TV? Since the two tuners are active, will they be present with an error or what? Also, If I'm recording the same channel I'm watching, does that take up two tuners or just one...

Yes they would get an error if there are no available tuners. The second question depends on what backend you use.

Quote:From what I've read, it becomes even more complicated when you have a set-top box...

Depends what you want.

If you just want to be able to watch local channels on your HTPC, or you are willing to get by on what the cable company gives you in unencrypted QAM, then just get something like a HDhomerun and enjoy the channels. Personally my local cable company gives me half its HD lineup unencrypted even though I just get basic cable.

If you just want to record things off your cablebox in HD, then a HDPVR does the trick.

If you want to replace the cablebox, then the only way is Windows 7MCE+Cablecard Tuner+DRM protected path. Expensive, frustrating, and personally not worth it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about setting up PVR backend/frontend...0