New sub forums?: xbmc beginners talk & linux beginners talk
Hi,

I think it would benefit the community if you create a few more sub forums where new users can post basic questions without doing the "normal" resarch first that is usually expected in the open source community.

xbmc is getting more and more a product for the masses and not everybody wants to learn linux/other technical stuff. And lete face it, the wiki is not always up to par.

I think we should do as ubuntu forum and create "beginners talk" sub forums. I also think we need to support basic linux stuff. There is a very high demend for this coming from xbmc live users. Many of them not interested in learning anything, just looking for "support".

Example:
linux beginners talks:
Why dont I see my windows parition in xbmclive?
How do I see my media files in live from my windows desktop?
How do I create dual boot?

xbmc beginners talk:
How do I get fullscreen?
what remote should I buy?

There are many people willing to answer these question but other people gets frustraded.
Unless those forums don't show up in a "Get new posts" request, then we'll have the same problems as the folk that generally answer things (and thus get frustrated at repeatedly answering things) use that.

IMO it makes more sense to:

1. Answer these things once in the wiki.
2. Point users to your answer.

If there's a decent set of questions and answers in the wiki then we're more than happy to look at making it easier to link to specific questions and answers from the forum.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I hoped it would make it easier to select what you read also when using "Get new posts", maybe it doesn't.

Anyway, I agree that improving the wiki is the best solution.

A bit harder to execute though. I get a bit confused by some of the stuff I can read e.g. in wiki:xbmcbuntu.
This is a different subject and perhaps I should start by doing something in the wiki myself.
this is a great idea

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New sub forums?: xbmc beginners talk & linux beginners talk0