Socket timeout
Hi guys - running the latest version of the android app on a HTC Hero and XBMC itself on Windows XP 32bit.

I followed all the instructions I can find and nothing seems to work for me. I can't connect to XBMC, I constantly recieve this message:

Socket Timeout
Make sure XBMC webserver is enabled and XBMC is running.

I've tried with both my local and external IP (although hopefully it runs locally over the network? I'd assume there would be quite the delay from the android to the internet back to my XBMC...)

I've forwarded the port correctly in my router

Ran out of things to try Sad Really looking forward to trying this out.
Did you open the ports in your Firewall?
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
the_alien Wrote:Did you open the ports in your Firewall?

I have no firewall software enabled, I got rid of Windows firewall especially to check
But you're webserver in xbmc is enabled and you are connected to your local lan? Plus you entered the correct IP and port?
the_alien Wrote:But you're webserver in xbmc is enabled and you are connected to your local lan? Plus you entered the correct IP and port?

I've seen no options anywhere to enable a webserver in XBMC - the insuctions on the xbmc remote page are for an older version. The new version is missing lots of options from the network page... so I followed the other tutorial for the latest version.

Still nothing about enabling the webserver though..
Using version 0.7.0
Motorola Droid, 2.1.

I get this problem as well on one of my computers, only difference is that after I've been connected for a short time.

I can connect perfectly on my living room computer. Very little problems, occasional glitch, some problems loading TV banners from time to time. Easily fixed after I navigate away and back. Very impressed overall with the program.

Problem is with the bedroom computer. Serious connection problems. The times I do connect, I get the same message.

I had a different xmbc remote for my Android., very basic controls, doesn't come close to touching this wonderful program, however, it had no problems at all connecting with my bedroom computer.

Terrific program, looking forward to 1.0.
mrxbob Wrote:I've seen no options anywhere to enable a webserver in XBMC - the insuctions on the xbmc remote page are for an older version. The new version is missing lots of options from the network page... so I followed the other tutorial for the latest version.

Still nothing about enabling the webserver though..

The correct setup instructions are on this page.
What XBMC revision are you using?

@fedrich519: Same question Wink
the_alien Wrote:The correct setup instructions are on this page.
What XBMC revision are you using?

@fedrich519: Same question Wink

That's exactly what I followed - I'm using 9.11

And as you can see in those instructions, it says nothing about the web server. The only instructions that mention it are the instructions for the older versions - those are the versions that still have the options for enabling the web server.
"Allow control of XBMC via HTTP API" is the webserver.
Now this is embarrassing.

Completely my fault... I haven't used Wifi on my HTC in a very long time, and I've since changed the network key. I just connected now and it's working like a dream!

Thanks for an awesome app! Nerd
mrxbob Wrote:Thanks for an awesome app! Nerd
You're welcome Smile
Hello all,

I am just going to piggyback on this thread as I have been experiencing the same error message and even after reading up on the issue I am still confused. For what it is worth I am using r32091 build with Aeon65 on an xp machine.

So I followed the intructions listed at (http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcrem..._and_later) and to get my ip address I used a site like whatismyip.com. In this scenario I got the Socket Timeout error. I disabled the firewall even tho XBMC was on the exceptions list and still got the Socket Timeout error.

Did some reading and thought maybe I had the wrong ip address. Used an ipconfig method and got a different ip address. Still couldn't connect tho the error has now changed to a "bad username/password" message (not sure if this is progress or not). Did some more reading and heard I may need to forward the port. Did that and still the same error. Some more reading maybe that port is used by something else. So I changed the forwarded port and updated XBMC and the phone...still get the error.

At this point I can't find any more material to read on this issue so I thought I'd consult the forums for help. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

UPDATE - Well I removed the username and password options and it seems to be connecting now. Not sure why that made any difference as I checked them both on the phone and computer about a dozen times each....
@fedrich519 - Wow! I thought I was reading my own post from a long time ago because I have literally the same issue. My living room works with the occasional glitch and sometimes by bedroom would work but would sporadically get the socket error. Most of the time it would not ever connect with the same error.

@clark - It never occurred to me to remove the username but sure enough as soon as I removed the username it started working. Thanks!
see i get the socket time out set up ports in router and firewall had it working completely when i first set it up, now the kinda part comes into play here i can use the remote part but if i hit connect or try to use the now playing or dowload covers the socket errors come up ive tried reinstalling on phone and comp i just would love my awsome remote back in full again
i see this is an old thread but was having problems with my remote googled and ended up here, i managed to sort out my remote with a quick play around the easy way i found was to simply remove user name and password on xbmc and in the remote app i was able to connect but still got the socket timeout, i then noticed the port number on xbmc was 80 and on the phone its automatically set to 8080, i simply changed the port in the phone app to 80 and its up and running perfectly Smile
i did try changing the port in xbmc to 8080 but still got socket timeout.
re added username and password and all is well.
one thing to note is its worth checking other ip address you have in your xbmc remote app as i had 2 the same from not changing the ip address after a router reset as when i reset my router it re assigns ip addresses.
hope this helps anyone else

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Socket timeout0