Thinking of Building my first HTPC
Star 
Looking at something like this.

*I already have hard drives and dvd drive to throw in.

Hoping to run the XBMC with some of the better themes. How is this? Should I be getting different hardware, something the is cheaper? etc.. Looking for any advice.

DK10 Wrote:Looking at something like this.

*I already have hard drives and dvd drive to throw in.

Hoping to run the XBMC with some of the better themes. How is this? Should I be getting different hardware, something the is cheaper? etc.. Looking for any advice.

Hi,

its a bit more hard to help you if you provide the list of components as an picture and without your prices (copy & paste dont work, you want to know if you can buy anything cheaper).

Also we dont know what you want do with your new HTPC, do you want an XBMC only system, do you want play games or do anything? As far as i can see your case must be very big, do you want use an very big case? If you dont plan to build in many cards ( with this mainbard you can only add 4 cards, the case is for ATX Mainboards and supports 7 cards), why not use an mATX case?
greetings, Stephan

Good points, that stuff all together is $327.

No games to be played just media playback hooked up to a 1080p tv through hdmi.

The case is large but that means less heat issues and more room for expansion in the future.

If you'd like to suggest a better smaller case in that price range (~$50) I'd certainly like to hear it.
The PSU is waaay oversized (which means it will run inefficiently), you need no more than a 350Watts PSU, I recommend Seasonic.

If you are not playing games with it then why not a Nvidia ION system?
The ION based stuff will handle XBMC/Win 7 based stuff with no lag or stuttering in menus?
Another detail that might explain my line of novice thinking.

That PC and Case probably are overkill but...

1. I live in a small apartment.
2. I would like to do a storage server backed but obviously that will have to wait until I get a house.

This means that once I have the right space for it I can just re purpose this box/case for the storage server side of things and build one of the smaller, quieter solutions for the front end.

Does this make sense or am I just making lots of beginner mistakes?
ion_man Wrote:The PSU is waaay oversized (which means it will run inefficiently), you need no more than a 350Watts PSU, I recommend Seasonic.

See here for power supplys. STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP ONES. Some seasonics are ok (see the list).

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking of Building my first HTPC0