[WINDOWS] - Serving DVD Images
I'm new to XBMC. I've installed it (whatever the general release ver for win32 was as of 5/15/2010) on my XP Pro SP2 system and created library entries for music files (mostly MP3) and DVD files in both DVD folder (VIDEO_TS) and ISO format. My client is an HP DV6000 laptop running Vista 64 Home Premium. This laptop has an IR remote which works with the preload s/w, HP QuickPlay and Windows Media Center, and QuickPlay can connect to UPnP Media servers.

Locally on the XBMC server, everything in the library I created plays fine from from XBMC itself, MP3, DVD folders, and ISO files but remotely on the client via UPnP only files from the music library will play. Using QuickPlay, I see entries for Video, Movies then Genre, etc but NOT Title so I'm not able to choose anything. I figured that was a limitation of QuickPlay so I tried installing XBMC on the laptop and connecting via UPnP to the server. I can see everything in the server library from XBMC on the client but when I try to play a DVD folder or ISO, XBMC hangs on the laptop.

Before I spend more time trying to make this work, I want to ask if it *should* work and/or if there's a better way to do what I'm trying to accomplish. I'd like to use the HP laptop as a LAN/TV interface and play media on TVs in various rooms over the LAN. I can do that now using Daemon tools to mount a virtual DVD from the server then use the HP QuickPlay DVD player (which also responds to the laptop's IR remote) but I really like XBMC's library presentation.

I'll admin, I haven't spent a great deal of time sifting through the information here but the searches I have done are inconclusive. Some people seem to be able to play ISOs and other can't. Is there a better client/player for the laptop than XBMC itself? I know I'll lose the ability to use the IR remote (without some other kludge) if I give up on QuickPlay and Windows Media Center (which I haven't been able to get connected to the XBMC server) but that'll be ok. I can always fall back to the virtual DVD drive approach.

This is my first foray into the world of Media Servers. I've well-versed in general networking and PCs though. Thanks.
I would install XMBC on the laptop and use SMB shares for your library instead of uPNP. Not sure how your remote will work with XBMC, though.

Win7 64-bit | AMD Athlon X2 4850e | 780G Chipset | 2 GB RAM | ATI Radeon 3200 | XBMC 10.0
Finally had some time to try your suggestion. It works great, thanks! Surprisingly, the remote works too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] - Serving DVD Images0