Windows 7 - Seamless XBMC startup?
do I use Task Scheduler only for my remote tool IRtrans.exe?! Or should I do that for xbmc.exe & IRtrans.exe?!

Thaks for your support!!!
:rofl: greetz DanielOcean :rofl:

MY SYSTEM PIC 1 ... MY SYSTEM PIC 2 ... MY SYSTEM PIC 3
Just use Task Scheduler for any additional programs required like the remote program
Okay I hate to revive a dead thread, but I love this method and am hoping you all might be able to help me work my kinks out.

I'm running Win7 Pro on an HTPC with a 3.4ghz i5 (HD 4000 Int. GPU) and an ASrock z77 mobo. I have XBMC 12 (which I'm starting to think was a mistake, but it automatically downloaded this version and I don't want to change now that I have everything set up nearly perfectly). The Group Policy method works wonderfully for me, that is until I launch WMC (for Netflix) or Steam (in Big Picture Mode) from XBMC via Advanced Launcher. Before implementing this method I had everything set up with AutoHotKey so that Netflix/SteamBPM would launch from XBMC and then when I exited either XBMC would come back up. Perfectly seamless just like I wanted. But after implementing this method things went wonky. While I can still launch these programs upon exiting either XBMC doesn't come back, instead I get that wonderful explorer-less black screen. I know that AutoHotKey is still working without explorer because when I launch Netflix it also launches JoyToKey (so that I can use my 360 controller with WMC Netflix) which is part of the AutoHotKey. And when I verify with Task Manager I can see that my .exe compiled from my .ahk script is indeed running. So I'm just really baffled as to why I'm not getting XBMC back after exiting these programs. The code for my scripts is below, and any help would be much much appreciated.

To launch Netflix...
Code:
#NoEnv
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
#Persistent
#SingleInstance

Process, Exist, JoyToKey.exe
If (ErrorLevel = 0)
    {
    Run, C:\jtk374en\RunJTK.bat, , Hide
    }
Else
    {
    }

if WinExist("ahk_class eHome Render Window")
  WinActivate
else
  run, C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe /url:windowsmediacenterapp:{e6f46126-f8a9-4a97-9159-b70b07890112}\{982ea9d3-915c-4713-a3c8-99a4688b7c59}?EntryPointParameters=

WinWait, ahk_class eHome Render Window
WinWaitClose, ahk_class eHome Render Window
WinActivate ahk_class XBMC
Process, Close, JoyToKey.exe
ExitApp

To launch Steam...
Code:
#NoEnv
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
#Persistent
#SingleInstance

if WinExist("ahk_class CUIEngineWin32")
    WinActivate
else
    run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe -silent steam://open/bigpicture

WinWait, Steam
WinWaitClose, Steam
WinActivate, XBMC
ExitApp
(2010-05-18, 21:12)Robbio85 Wrote: I have it working in Windows 7 Ultimate using a local policy that only applies to my user account. The policy tells Windows to use XBMC as my shell instead of Explorer (so there's no start menu, just a wallpaper). This way XBMC is instantly launched upon (automatic) user log in.

Step 2 only works on Windows 7 Ultimate, Enterprise and Professional! (The group policy object editor is not available in other versions, thanks M$)

1. Setting up your user account to log in automatically
  • Open the start menu, and type in the search box: netplwiz <ENTER>.
  • Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer and hit Apply.
  • A window will pop up asking for the user name and password of the user account which should log in automatically. Supply all the information and hit OK.

Next time you restart, the account selected in step 1 will log on automatically. Now you can setup this account to use XBMC as shell instead of Explorer:

2. Set XBMC as shell for a specific user account
  • Open the start menu, and type in the search box: mmc <ENTER>.
  • Choose File -> Add/Remove Snap-in....
  • Select Group Policy Object Editor and hit Add.
  • In the wizard that pops up, hit Browse..., go to tab Users, select your user account (the one that you set up to log on automatically in step 1) and hit OK.
  • Make sure that the checkbox in the wizard is Unchecked, and hit Finish.
  • Hit OK in the Add/Remove Snap-ins window.
  • In the User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System folder, open Custom User Interface.
  • Select Enabled and enter the full path (including XBMC.exe and any switches that you may use) in the Interface file name textbox.
  • Hit OK and reboot your system. It should now log in and start XBMC automatically without showing the start menu and icons first Smile

Hello all, new to XBMC but it's pretty amazing. I've setup a machine to be my HTPC and everything is fine EXCEPT. I want it to launch if/when the laptop has to reboot.

I followed the above instructions, and when my machine boots, I am automatically logged in, but XBMC never launches. I have tried dropping the shortcut in the startup folder, but it never launches upon boot. I can run it manually fine, but it just doesn't run when the laptop boots.

I've searched and searched, but don't see anyone with this problem. I guess it could be a Windows issue, but I'm not 100% sure.
This was a clean installation of Windows 7 pro (64bit) sp1 and XBMC is the only program on the machine.

I tried the method of editing the registry to change the shell to point to xbmc.exe, according to http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1167307
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Shell = "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" –fs

12.1 Frodo
Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1
Dell Latitude E6320 i7 2.8ghz
8 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 3000/ 9.17.10.2932

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is the last thing I need to do.

EdiT: used task scheduler to run upon login... good to go.
I've been using the EventGhost solution to start up XBMC. This is working as expected.
Though, I'm running windows 7 as multi-user, using XBMC as a standard user and another one as admin.

Whenever i come back from suspend, i have to press a key to log in again. I'd like this to be automatic. Is there a way to 'fix' this behaviour?

note, i have the automatic logon already enabled and this works for the first log on. Though, after suspend it isn't doing the same.
(2013-09-20, 16:00)bambam82 Wrote: I've been using the EventGhost solution to start up XBMC. This is working as expected.
Though, I'm running windows 7 as multi-user, using XBMC as a standard user and another one as admin.

Whenever i come back from suspend, i have to press a key to log in again. I'd like this to be automatic. Is there a way to 'fix' this behaviour?

note, i have the automatic logon already enabled and this works for the first log on. Though, after suspend it isn't doing the same.
Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and click on "change advanced power settings". In there make sure "require a password on wakeup' is set to NO(plugged in)

thanks bambam82 Smile
All I've done is use FocusBitch, put it in the Startup folder, then check 'Auto-hide the taskbar' in the Taskbar properties. Loads straight into XBMC, without losing focus, and you can still get to Windows Explorer if need be.

I also changed the background of the Welcome screen to the XBMC logo for more of a complete feel.
Living Room | Openelec | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Man Room | Windows 7 x64 | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Roaming | iPad 2 | Re-Touched Skin
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 - Seamless XBMC startup?1