Question About PVR Capability
Hi folks,

I just got XBMC over Ubuntu up and running last night and WOW, this is a great setup! "out of the box", it does almost everything that I was looking for, and I'm absolutely thrilled.

One thing that I have a question about is adding the ability to capture video. I don't really need it to have the ability to schedule recordings or anything like that, I want it more for grabbing video from an old VCR (to backup home movies and add them to my gallery).

I've searched through these forums and found a lot of posts that talk about similar setups but I just want to be clear: In order to have this ability, do I need to add another program such as MythTV? This seems to be the popular route but I think it would be overkill for my needs. Is there another option that easily integrates with XBMC that would better suite my plans?

Thanks!
Yes, use some other program to handle that. XBMC is not (or will not) be setup to do that sort of thing - the only thing we're working on is acting as a frontend to the various PVR solutions out there.

By the sounds of things you need a digitising app rather than a PVR app - there may be options other than Myth for this (after all, you don't need the "tv" bit - just the "read from the card and dump to a file" bit)

Even something like mplayer/mencoder might be able to accomplish it? No idea Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll continue looking for something else to include into the system in order to accomplish this. If anyone else has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it Smile
VLC player can take a stream and write it to a file iirc.. so as long as you have a capture device in the PC then it shouldn't be a problem to use that.
Check out Amazon. There are several VHS to USB solutions that are $100 or less.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question About PVR Capability0