Moving Media to New Server and Preserve Library?
I have searched the forum but have not found an answer to my problem yet.

I currently have a HTPC with XBMC installed on drive C. The HTPC has a second drive (drive E) which is 1 TB and is where all of my TV shows and movies are stored. I just purchased a new computer that I am going to use as a home server. I want to remove all of my media (TV, Movies, etc.) from my HTPC drive E and put it on my new home server on drive C. I am going to keep XBMC installed on the HTPC and stream the media over my network. Is it possible to keep all of my library data (scraped information, shows marked at watched, etc.) intact and just point my library to the new location of the files?

Say my current media is located at "E:\Videos" and the new location is "\\servername\share\videos". Is it possible to open the library DB and do a Find "E:\Videos" and Replace it with "\\servername\share\videos"?

Any other ideas on how to accomplish this?
Yes but this one is a bit more complicated because the slashes are backward.

"\\servername\share\videos\" is actually seen by Xbmc with a URL of "smb://servername/share/videos/".

I'm not sure what a mismatched slash would do.

You could always manually change the database entries with a SQLite database management tool. (MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!) I've used SQLite Browser and SQLite Spy, but there are others. Some even export a table into CSV which would make editing a bit easier.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Am I correct in thinking that my library database file is located in the %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\Database\ folder and is called MyVideos34.db?

Would editing a SQLite .db file with Notepad be bad?

I will also look into a SQLite browser. Exporting to CSV making the changes and then importing the changed CSV back into SQLite sounds like it would work nicely.
Yes that is the correct file, and yes, it would be bad to edit it in Notepad as its a binary file.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank you for the response. I'll let you know how it goes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving Media to New Server and Preserve Library?0