Wireless Router Questions for the experts!
Hello,

Hoping to get some answers for a couple questions that I have. I have been looking for a reasonably priced 6 to 8 port wired gigabit router. They are few and far between. In my searching I have seen it said that some wireless gigabit routers with LAN ports can be used in a hardwired Gigabit LAN by turning off the wireless connectivity. Is this true?
Also, Is it true that you can connect a gigabit switch to a gigabit router and get the same performance from the switch as you would the router (i.e. port forwarding, ip configuration, etc). Basically, connecting a switch to a router will expand the routers ports? Is this true?
If the 2 above questions are true, could someone point me to a reasonable router that can perform this way?

Any information is appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark
Setp1) Get a boring off the shelf Wireless router (with G or N wireless, whatever your Laptop and budget can deal with)

Step2) Buy a cheap (sub $100) 8 port gigabit switch.

Step3) Buy a 0.5m Cat5 network cable and plug it between any port on the router, and any port on the switch.

Step4) Plug all of your PC's and Media boxes into the 8port Switch.

Step5) don't bother using the spare 3 ports on your router.

What will this do?
All PC's will talk to each other at Gigabit.

Your Laptop can talk to your PC's, but will be limited by the speed of the wireless (54meg or 100meg)

All devices will be able to share the internet, Unless your Internet connection is faster than 100meg (impossible for resedential customer)there will be no bottleneck with internet speed.

If you run out of ports on the switch, you can plug a slow device (100meg only) into the router, or just change the 8port switch to a 16 port.

You do NOT need a gigabit router, save your money.
You do NOT need to turn off wireless.
Remember that even if you don't use the wireless, you still need to secure it. Just because you don't use your wireless doesn't mean your neighbors won't.
TugboatBill Wrote:Remember that even if you don't use the wireless, you still need to secure it. Just because you don't use your wireless doesn't mean your neighbors won't.

Not if the wireless functionality is disabled as in "turning off the wireless connectivity".

But as kortina said, its not necessary, just buy a cheap gigabit switch, connect all equipment to the switch, and the switch to a router.
kortina Wrote:You do NOT need a gigabit router, save your money.
You do NOT need to turn off wireless.

Exactly what I was about to say. Also note that your devices must also have gigabit ehternet adapters (either seperate add-on card or onboard gigabit) to operate at 1000 Mbps speeds. If they are not currently equipped with gigabit capable hardware, you can add an adapter card very inexpensively.
Kode Wrote:Not if the wireless functionality is disabled as in "turning off the wireless connectivity".

Turning it off is the best way to secure it. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wireless Router Questions for the experts!0