XBMC Live and My Book World NAS
I have XBMC Live running on an Acer Revo and am attempting to use the My Book World Edition Home Network Drive to store movies on. I've tried configuring the uPnP server software but it isn't working. I'd like to access the drive through SMB, but I can't seem to make that work either.

Anyone with any experience with this have a helpful word?
Is there any error output?

I'm using MyBook World II blue ring edition(old model) with XBMC Live, works fine.
In my case, add a source in Video: "smb://mybookworld" or "smb://192.168.0.2"
(your hostname and IP address might diffrent), name it and save.
I've tried that and the connect keeps timing out which is what's frustrating. You don't use any logins or anything, just the IP address and that's it?
Timing out? Can you connect to Mybook SMB share on other PC? Is that good? If you cannot, then this is not a XBMC issue, please check your network config.

and sorry, I've forgot that my MyBook World II installed the 3rd party firmware. So I don't need any username and passwords to connet. (And yes I knew it not safe)

If you have username and password for that, just change the souce line like:

smb://<username>:<password>@mybookworld or smb://<username>:<password>@192.168.0.2

That should work.

John
hi guys

I have an acer aspire revo and xbmc live and recently bought a 2tb Mybookworld NAS. I have copied all my films etc on to it and went to add it as a source. I had a nightmare doing this before it appeared to work when i added a source using the details below....

smb://<username>:<password>@192.168.0.5

Xbmc then found and scanned all my films and movies but now when i go to play them it says source not found. It also appears very slow.

Any advice on this one? Please note i am using wifi to connect to the NAS and therefore guess best solution is either moving NAS to my tv or hooking it up with a network cable.

I am not very good with XBMC outside of the basics so please be patient with me.

Thanks
I used older blue ring 1tb model with stock firmware, never had any probs connecting via smb.

I always used username& pass so "smb://user:[email protected]/movies"

check if you can connect via the browser to configure it? I don't use it any more so doubt I'll be much use troubleshooting but they definitely should work ok.

***edit***
seem to remember when I first got it would lock up occassionally, the lights would all pulse or something and had to power off and on to resolve, a firmware update through the web interface resolved that though
Fonzie83 Wrote:It also appears very slow.

[...]

Please note i am using wifi to connect to the NAS and therefore guess best solution is either moving NAS to my tv or hooking it up with a network cable.

Definitely yes.
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
OK will look into wiring an ethernet cable. Has anyone had any luck with streaming movies over wifi out of interest? I live in small flat and distance/walls between revo box and router are minimal
It's more a matter of the frame rates of the movies than of the distance.
SD content may be played well, Full HD movies may cause some problems over Wi-Fi.
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
ah i see, its all dvd quality anyway - hd is too much space for me just now!
having another test of it and it actually loaded one of the films tonight but its super slow so guess it must be the wifi combo. Can't actually believe its that slow. It is a full dvd rip but thought it would at least be able to play it in a watchable manner. No one else got wifi working with a NAS?

ok - one question - just opened one of the ISO's on my laptop (also over wifi) and plays smoothly. Any ideas why this might be?
I have the white bar 1 TB model. Some months ago I figured out how to get NFS working, with a lot of help from the forum here. I concluded the thread with a step by step manual, but unfortunately there was a server problem and it got lost with several other threads. I recall I specifically wanted NFS since DVD menu's are terribly slow over all other means of acces I tried.

I made a local backup of the step-by-step for NFS, let me know if you are interested.
anything that would help would be much appreciated. Can't understand why it works fine with my laptop yet xbmc can't handle it somehow.

Was wondering if it is something to do with the file path as i am adding it as follows:

smb://<admin>:<pass>@192.168.0.5

and wonder whether it should be:

smb://<admin>:<pass>@192.168.0.5/Public/Movies

I have tried the bottom option but it doesn't seem to work
kees667 Wrote:I have the white bar 1 TB model. Some months ago I figured out how to get NFS working, with a lot of help from the forum here. I concluded the thread with a step by step manual, but unfortunately there was a server problem and it got lost with several other threads. I recall I specifically wanted NFS since DVD menu's are terribly slow over all other means of acces I tried.

I made a local backup of the step-by-step for NFS, let me know if you are interested.

i wouldnt mind having a goosey gander at that please Smile
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
Here it is. Most of the layout is gone (some bold parts and code parts)

Noob guide for using NFS on XBMC LIVE (installed on harddisk)
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4...post449150
Credits
All credits for this information goes to uomiarz, who helped me patiently through all my problems in setting this up. Since it now finally works I decided to do a chronological tutorial, both for my own future reference if I reinstall, but also for others as this thread has grown and I ran it to very specific problems that others might not run into.

Mounting an NFS drive in XBMC Live 9.11 beta 1 (installed to harddisk on Asrock 330)
Using a Western Digital Mybook World II 1 TB nas specifically, for other NAS the NAS setup part might be different

To enter all the commands either use CTRL-ALT-F2 on your XBMC machine or go to another pc and use putty to logon to XBMC machine. I preferred the last option as it allowed me to copy paste stuff from this thread

Getting ready - NAS
The NAS needs to be set up correctly
-On your NAS: create a user that matches your XBMC user/password, and allow it access to the share you want to see in XBMC
-Under settings allow the XBMC machine's ip-address access
-Find out the full path to your NFS share. I stumbled here. My ip is 192.168.1.30, and my share name is "Private" but when I combine the two they are not my NFS path, there was a diskname in between. I found my correct path using "showmount -e 192.168.1.30" from a windows machine, which just showed me the paths available on the NAS. My path was "192.168.1.30:/DataVolume/Private" and will be used in the rest of the guide. I think it is case sensitive!

Getting ready - XBMC
XBMC machine needs to have NFS support installed. If your machine is set up correctly this command will do that for you:
Code:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common
For me it didn't. My sources file was empty (bug in 9.11 beta 1). I expect that to be solved so read this full thread if you need to edit it. Secondly I then also needed to do the command "sudo apt-get update" before nfs-common which I think tells the machine what software and updates are available for download.

Secondly also need to specify a location where the drive is mounted. Basically after mounting this is where you browse to. I used location /media/misc which I created with
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/misc
Other locations should also work, this is not a mandatory name.

First try - Mounting manually
Try this:
Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.30:/private /media/misc
If there are any errors look carefully what they are. I got access right errors because initially I hadn't created an XBMC user on my NAS. If you get nothing, just a new prompt, then it worked

First try - Testing if it worked
Code:
ls /media/misc
should show what is in your NFS share. You might need to add sudo before it
Code:
sudo ls /media/misc

First try - how do I open this location in XBMC?
In XBMC when you select add source and browse you see mostly network paths, but you need to browse to /media/misc. Do "add source" and then instead of "browse" just type /media/misc in the window that says <none>. Give it a name you want on a bottom window and you are all set

Getting your machine to do this everytime at boot
Use this command to open a file which is run every time at boot:
Code:
sudo pico /etc/rc.local
The last line should read "exit 0" - before that insert these two lines so that it looks like this:
Code:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.30:/private /media/misc
sleep 10
exit 0
Sleep 10 might not be necessary, but it works for me. If you mess up while editting just quit without saving. Reboot and try if you can browse the share using:
Code:
ls /media/misc
or in XBMC. My NAS has a standby mode so in XBMC sometimes I don't see anything right away, try again after 10 seconds

That's it. Once more a great big thanks to uomiarz and others for helping me get this done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live and My Book World NAS0