[xbcm4kids] - A skin for kids
I loved the idea of a kid-centric skin, and your concept set my mind going...

IMHO, utter simplicity is the key, as few different screens as possible - with that in mind, I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is possible:
I know all the placing & size is wrong, but the concept is that this is the home screen, left/right moves you between Movies/Music/TV and up/down scrolls. Selecting TV/Music can either bring up an overlay with Tracks/Episodes, or open selection to the right of the screen - the idea is to keep everything on one page. I intended to add a focused selection around the Ben 10 thumb, but it's really late...

You get the idea - what do you think? Possible?

(and apologies for hijacking... :o)
Great idea. I got some beta testers here for you too Smile.

I'm just gonna echo what everyone here says.

Bright gender neutral colors please.

Lock down the settings. That's the biggest issue I've had with my kids.

I'd also target age 4-12.

Text not needed.

I'm not so sure about using cartoon characters. My son would be happy with a Ben 10 character but my daughter's Snow White not so much. I wouldn't want to have to change their settings every time one of them uses it. Nor do I want them to have individual profiles.

I like the big clock from your 1st mock up. That way they know it's bed time.
This is an excellent idea. I'd recommend:

1. Whatever icon is used on the main menu, make sure you're displaying it prominently in that section as well. For example, the tv icon should be shown with the actual tv listings. This will allow kids to match the media they want to the section more naturally. My son is 2 and he'd be able to understand that.

2. I would try using colored icons and a muted background color instead of the method you've used in v2. That will make the buttons themselves stand out more. Be consistent with them: if one has a border, they all should; make the icons themselves the same size; etc. You may even want to take #1 a bit further and color code the icons and sections.

3. There are some really good icon sets out there you could use. http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustr...series.php wouldn't work unless you color coded the sections, but you get the idea of what I'm talking about. For really young kids you could even add a name for each one at the bottom of the icon and it'd help them remember better ("Telly goes to Duck Tales and Blues Clues, Moo goes to Monsters Inc and Boondock Saints"). If you need to purchase some stock art icons, PM me and I'll buy them for you.

4. Look at the ClearLogo thread. Those will be supported by my site in the next few months. Kids will associate a logo easier than actually reading it. Posters or fan art will still work best, though.

5. Brainstorming here, but my kid will accidentally leave his movie sometimes and I have to intervene before the complaining starts. We have an AppleTV remote that only has a couple buttons. We also have a more advanced remote. Would it be possible to set a lock mode to a button that's not used much that would change every button on the AppleTV remote to pause/play? So I would press 9 (or whatever) on my universal remote and it'd lock all of the controls to pause/play until 9 is pressed again. Is that more of an XBMC feature?

6. Even though you want to keep the colors bold and design simple, you might want to add a drop shadow to the menu items so they pop out more. If you're subtle it'll make it look really nice while still working great for kids.

7. Play around with some different view options, but use only one in the skin. A large poster view would probably work best. Don't worry about the overview, rating, and other meta information. Kids already know about their movies from the previous 57 times they've seen them.

8. Give parents the ability to turn off home menu options. My kid will only be using it for movies and tv shows, but other parents might want games, music, music videos, etc. Having options that lead to no content will only confuse/frustrate kids.

9. Integrate an RSS feed, but allow parents to toggle it. For kids that can't read, a feed that just lists the alphabet, numbers, or even short words would be awesome. For kids that can read, a feed with short little facts, rhyming words, etc would be cool too. I'm sure the community could put together a list.

10. Robgue's clock comment is spot on too. My kid can't read clocks yet, but seeing it up there will cause him to be curious about it and want to start learning it.

I'm really stoked by this idea and will definitely use it if you put it together. Not only that, if it's done well I'll make sure it gets mention on my homepage so people focus on getting kids shows whatever artwork they need.
the best thing to do would be simplicity when i say that i mean coding only 7 windows.

Home
Movies Library (videos)
TV Shows
Music
Pictures
Settings (hidden)
Shutdown Menu (Hidden)

this way nothing can go wrong you setup the profile with another skin then set it to the kids skin that way they cant change anything.

i may do this at some point for my two daughters 2 and 3 coming up 4 Eek.
any update on this skin as I am very excited about it!
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I have updated the pictures of the project in its current state.

And right now im trying to organize all the feedback that i have gotten.
This is also my first skin so it will prob take some time until i have a finished skin. But will put up repository on github when im (and you are) satisfied with the skinmashup.

And this is just a work in progress there is alot that im not satisfied with. Like the logo position and background in the videolist, and the buttons on the homescreen.
Twistedretard Wrote:Image

lol, I'm assuming you have a sense of humour
DR. Stranger Wrote:lol, I'm assuming you have a sense of humour

I dont know what you are talking about? Rolleyes

Twistedretard Wrote:I dont know what you are talking about? Rolleyes

xbmc4kids/Half Baked
I was searching the net for icons with my little 4 year old today and she saw these below and it really caught her eye.

what about something based like that for the main buttons? Im sure someone can design something for this skin with a cartoon like character.

Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
rflores2323 Wrote:I was searching the net for icons with my little 4 year old today and she saw these below and it really caught her eye.

what about something based like that for the main buttons? Im sure someone can design something for this skin with a cartoon like character.

The goal is to make user able to switch the icons on the homescreen as they see it fit.
But it sure would be nice to have a nice looking default icons.(since i lack the skill to make some.)
Still searching the net for some perfect icons that hasnt got a nasty copyright.(and is as unisex as it can get)
To me that looks a bit to much simplicity is the way forward, here is a quick mock i done for something i think would work for kids.

Kids don't need all the fancy stuff just what looks cool, colourful and easy to see what's happening on screen.

I will prob do a skin for kids at some point but like i said before you only need to do what they will use. so no movie info no fancy animations no dialogs that are not essential so on.
Rocky5 Wrote:To me that looks a bit to much simplicity is the way forward, here is a quick mock i done for something i think would work for kids.

Kids don't need all the fancy stuff just what looks cool, colourful and easy to see what's happening on screen.

I will prob do a skin for kids at some point but like i said before you only need to do what they will use. so no movie info no fancy animations no dialogs that are not essential so on.

Very Nice Rocky5 ! Big Grin

One Idea for the HOME from Me. I like the arrow/shield Style to the buttons.

Skin.JOGGLER
----------------------------------
Download - djtoll's Add-On Repository / Add-Ons > Install from ZIP / Get Add-ons > Djtoll's Repository
Twistedretard Wrote:Also giving the osd a try:

this screen doesn't sweet for children view lol LaughRolleyes

good work, image oriented navigation seems to be good Big Grin
Rocky5 Wrote:To me that looks a bit to much simplicity is the way forward, here is a quick mock i done for something i think would work for kids.

Im targeting a young age right now and feel that your mock is for older kids.
But i would be a happy chap if im allowed to be inspired from your design, to the second design(for older kids) in my skin when im finished with the first one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[xbcm4kids] - A skin for kids0