• 5(current)
announcing: reFocus
If you need a tester on linux... just drop me a line :-D
Like the concept a lot, though all lowercase is not for my liking.
Hey everyone,

So even though my head is about to explode (caught a bad cold) I managed to come up with an idea that I think would be cool. Or maybe it will go nowhere, we'll just have to see.

One feature (well, feature is a big word maybe, more like just a nice touch) in reFocus is that there will be a multi-language greeting on logging in and/or starting up, and during startup random backdrops will be shown depending on the time of day.

I know, you're not going to be spending a whole lot of time in those screens, but I thought it would be cool either way.

There will be different pictures for morning, afternoon and evening.

I have already included a couple of nice ones, but I was thinking maybe there are some talented photographers around here willing to let their pictures be included on release.

So, if you are interested send me a link to your picture(s)

Three rules:

1. The photo has to be made by you, no edits of other people's pictures either.
2. Your photo should symbolize either morning, afternoon or evening. This doesn't have to be a scenery picture of a sunset or something. It could be anything really, as long as it symbolizes a time of day. Be creative Smile But of course a picture of your country/city/town during either time of day would be cool too Smile
3. It needs to be good quality (hard to define I know)

You would of course be fully credited.

Greetings,
Jeroen
Moving along, as you may have noticed, the official nightly builds have started to be released as of yesterday.
As said before, this means a release of reFocus is close.

I will be pushing for a release this weekend, however I cannot give a 100% guarantee. I still have some things to fix, and I feel like crap atm. So, hopefully I'll recover in the upcoming days and I will be able to finish and release.

If I fail however, the release will come in the days after the weekend, or possibly in that weekend. Not any later. That's a promise.

Also, this week reFocus will be making an appearance at LinuxTag where Team-XBMC is represented. Coverage on LinuxTag will be posted on xbmc.org in the next couple of days.

I know... boo! boo! for not releasing publicly at the same time, but this came up as an opportunity, but I really want to finish up some things before going public.

Greetings,
Jeroen
Looking at the work you have posted I am very much looking forward to your release, you have a great eye for design and it looks like it will perform nicely on lower end hardware like Asrocks.
That said, get well and release it when you are ready.
Looking forward to this skin!! I still think Focus is one of the best skins created for XBMC.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Will it be possible to add format buttons (720p, 1080p etc) to the poster / list librarymode shown in the screenshots?

Looks amazingly good.
Jeroen Wrote:Hey everyone,

So even though my head is about to explode (caught a bad cold) I managed to come up with an idea that I think would be cool. Or maybe it will go nowhere, we'll just have to see.

One feature (well, feature is a big word maybe, more like just a nice touch) in reFocus is that there will be a multi-language greeting on logging in and/or starting up, and during startup random backdrops will be shown depending on the time of day.

I know, you're not going to be spending a whole lot of time in those screens, but I thought it would be cool either way.

There will be different pictures for morning, afternoon and evening.

I have already included a couple of nice ones, but I was thinking maybe there are some talented photographers around here willing to let their pictures be included on release.

So, if you are interested send me a link to your picture(s)

Three rules:

1. The photo has to be made by you, no edits of other people's pictures either.
2. Your photo should symbolize either morning, afternoon or evening. This doesn't have to be a scenery picture of a sunset or something. It could be anything really, as long as it symbolizes a time of day. Be creative Smile But of course a picture of your country/city/town during either time of day would be cool too Smile
3. It needs to be good quality (hard to define I know)

You would of course be fully credited.

Greetings,
Jeroen

Neato! I'm an amateur photographer so this appeals to me. I have a few shots you can look at that might work well for this idea.

These would probably be good for evening:
Image Image Image Image

If you see anything else you like in the photostream, let me know. I can get you any resolution you need if there's anything you find suitable.

Looking forward to this skin!
Handa Wrote:Will it be possible to add format buttons (720p, 1080p etc) to the poster / list librarymode shown in the screenshots?

Looks amazingly good.
Yes, those have been added in the meantime.

theophile Wrote:Neato! I'm an amateur photographer so this appeals to me. I have a few shots you can look at that might work well for this idea.

If you see anything else you like in the photostream, let me know. I can get you any resolution you need if there's anything you find suitable.

Looking forward to this skin!
Impressive, those look awesome Nod Definitely would like to use them.
I'll take a look in your photostream too. I'll get back to you.

Thanks Smile
Great to see you're back in the game. It's looking great so far!
Thanks Aart, in my mind I was never out of it Laugh

Preview of the now playing screen. I'm not completely sure about it though. Tried several things and this is what I felt most comfortable with so far.
Here you see the fanart and visualization mixed. You can choose whether to see the fanart, the visualization or both mixed though.

Great, looks nice and clean and goes nicely with the rest of the skin.
reFocus just gets better and better Smile
Tks for all your work Jeroen!

I wonder how reFocus will perform on a low power system?! Like revo single core.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:reFocus just gets better and better Smile
Tks for all your work Jeroen!

I wonder how reFocus will perform on a low power system?! Like revo single core.

I have no idea to be honest, as I don't really have a good idea about how the performance of that kind of system is. I imagine and hope it will be comparable with most skins out there.

The textures are quite a bit larger than in Focus to keep as much quality on bigger screens.
That said a lot of the textures are re-used in a lot of places, and there is room for more optimization in that area. The amount of textures isn't that big either.

Development and testing of reFocus is done on a E6750 Core2Duo with 6GB RAM and used on an htpc with a T6500 Core2Duo with 2GB RAM

I guess I can also give it a try on my laptop from work which is an HP elitebook with a 1.6Ghz Core2Duo and low-end graphics card. Still no single core, but closer Smile
Use SpinRite to fix the drive, it cost $80 - but it is what professional companies use for hard drive recovery.

Not only is is a recovery tool, it also functions in a maintenance capacity.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
announcing: reFocus0