Zotac: MAG vs. ZBOX
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I found this at Newegg, but didn't pull the trigger yet. It just went out of too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

This is still my front runner - nothing else really comes close in the fanless department right now, except for the yet to be released XS35.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I don't know how loud you Acer is. I don't know if that matters to you.

my single core revo was really silent for the most part, I just had to lay it down horizontally because after awhile the fan started to "scratch" when standing in a vertical position.

the foxconn netbox actually is kinda awesome: the form factor is virtually identical to these xtreamer media players or most wlan routers, and XBMCbuntu is much more responsive when navigating the menus thanks to the 330. this is also where the fan is on highest setting, but thank god it switches off when playing movies VDPAU-accelerated and the CPU load goes below 10%.

in windows 7 the situation is different, here the fan is blowing nearly all the time with only short periods of silent mode, wouldn't recommend it as a windows XBMC box at the moment. also, besides the small LAN annoyance (see linux forum), the atheros wlan might be really difficult to get running in linux, but as it's only b/g there won't be much need for that when streaming videos. one could also go for a different wlan card, i.e. an intel N card.

all in all, the netbox was a real good buy for me, just wish the foxconn guys would update the BIOS for a better fan control. we'll see Wink

btw the habey looks really awesome Eek I'd definitely would have gone with the shuttle though, but they took too long Big Grin and I don't need an optical drive
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
indeed it takes shuttle for ever.... and lenovo is not launching the nice ideacentre q150 in europ... so still no good ion2 based nettop available

the shuttle is very nice indeed! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC4Nn2IdCpo
Woow! how does it switch off the fans when playing a movie? Thats pretty slick.

I have a single core Acer and its about as loud as I want a streamer to be. Plus I had to paint it black, these Acers are F'ing ugly.Nod
you have pics of the black revo?
I'd like to see your paintjob Big Grin
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
pict 1. I put those little rubber thingy's so it will sit nice on my dresser. I liked it with the power button on the bottom.

Pict 2

I just masked the top and bottom with tape then plugged the ports with tape so no paint would get in. Satin black is what I used and it looks good.
omg he looks awesome in black! very nice paintjob!
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Ya it does, thanks.

When I get another one for my living room I'm going to do the same.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:all in all, the netbox was a real good buy for me, just wish the foxconn guys would update the BIOS for a better fan control. we'll see Wink

Does wake on LAN and wake on USB work? Thinking for an ext IR-receiver..., or iphone client-based wakeup.
wake on USB works perfectly when you set it in BIOS and do this linux magic with the USB ports... works from my HP MCE IR receiver (Harmony One) as well as from the DiNovo mini dongle.
WoL, well, in theory.... it is capable and I activated it with ethtools, but I still couldn't work out how to properly send the magic packet from my android handset with XBMC remote on it.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Wake on Lan works through android fine, but there's a bug in ubuntu or that stops magic packets waking up a system from S3 standby Sad
I have a mag and I don't really know how it is you people can complain about the noise.

With no other noise in the room I can barely hear it from the couch. Definately no louder than a ceiling fan. However, this is a non-issue because I hibernate it when I'm not using it.

When I'm watching tv I can't hear it all.

I can't speak for the wireless issues some people seem to have, I plug it in.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
danbst Wrote:I've had my Zbox (ID11) for a couple of days now.
Not a happy punter.
On a + side it runs Win 7 reasonably well. I'm just about to dual boot it with Live XBMC.
Should be fun.

Hi there!

I just read that you have a Zbox dual booting with Windows 7 and XBMC. That is exactly what I want to do!

Can you point me in the right direction of how to get it done?

Have in mind I am completely Linux ignorant.

Thanks
To be honest I didn't do anything different than the revo install tutorials on here.
I first installed Windows 7 then I booted from XBMC live on a USB stick. Selected the install option and basically went with the flow thereafter. Set the partition to the size I required and aside from that the only other thing needed doing was to set username and password.
It was a breeze to be honest, getting sound working to my liking however was another story.
In reply to rwparris2, I would say the noise is a massive issue for me. I have a PCH fanless (silent) player for 1 device and a watercooled PC as another (as close to silent as is possible) and once you've experienced that sort of tranquility the Zotac sounds like a jumbo jet in your room. I'm just not used to the level of noise it makes.
After following the instructions your system gives you the dual boot option?

Did you set the partitions before installing xbmc live or while doing it?

Yes, I can imagine the noise, I tried xbmc on Win 7 and even though it didn't work, the cpu temp went up to 95C and the box was very loud.

I may not be a quiet solution, butb the interface is much better the one WD-TV Live has.

Thanks.

R.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac: MAG vs. ZBOX0