• 7(current)
Apple TV Performance with CrystalHD
Thanks for your reply Mike.

I solved my first problem by removing the HDD and connecting it to my hackintosh and then created and modified the files using terminal.

I guess my second problem was a missing line in the original com.apple.Boot.plist
The patchstick had this line <string>atv-boot=auto video=vesafb</string> that's why it worked right when I used it.

I'll try it as soon as I go back home.

Thanks a lot =)
Quote:I solved my first problem by removing the HDD and connecting it to my hackintosh and then created and modified the files using terminal.

OK - I guess for me letting "parted" fix the journal left me with a clean file system. The force on the "mount" is suppose to let it mount read\write without the journal enabled - but you need a clean file system.

Quote:I guess my second problem was a missing line in the original com.apple.Boot.plist

Let me know if that works and if your booting clean
Mike Pisano Wrote:OK - I guess for me letting "parted" fix the journal left me with a clean file system. The force on the "mount" is suppose to let it mount read\write without the journal enabled - but you need a clean file system.

I disabled the journal using diskutil, the force didn't work tho. But when I used "sudo mount /dev/sda3 /tmp/atv" out of curiosity it worked like a charm.
Makes sense - without journaling enabled you wouldnt need the force option.

Did the Auto in the pList file get it booting without the stick?

Regards,
Mike
Mike Pisano Wrote:Makes sense - without journaling enabled you wouldnt need the force option.

Regards,
Mike

Sorry not yet, I'm still on the move, I'll be back home this friday =P
konan Wrote:You are missing the point: XBMC for ATV can play HD content (720 or 1080) with H/W acceleration only which is done through CrystalHD card. If you don't have a CrystalHD card Linux is not going to help you. It's not about Apple vs Linux. It's about native ATV H/W not able to support HD decoding.

I do get the point. There are many people in the forums which have a crystal card and do *not* get smooth playback. And because of that, switch to linux.
konan Wrote:You are missing the point: XBMC for ATV can play HD content (720 or 1080) with H/W acceleration only which is done through CrystalHD card. If you don't have a CrystalHD card Linux is not going to help you. It's not about Apple vs Linux. It's about native ATV H/W not able to support HD decoding.

Well that's not entirely true. Linux on the ATV runs XBMC better with or without the CrystalHD card. The menus are faster, playback is improved, overall UI is smoother, etc. The MAIN advantage in Linux is the fact that you can get 1080p output, even 1080p/24hz. With Linux and the CrystalHD card you get 1080p output and 1080p decoding capabilities. Making the ATV with CrystalHD capable of decoding and displaying just about anything.

In the ATV software it'll decode 1080p, but it can't display it.
Mike Pisano Wrote:Makes sense - without journaling enabled you wouldnt need the force option.

Regards,
Mike

I double checked the installation and added the missing string to the plist and that did the trick.
Thanks a lot Mike, I'd be great if you modify the How-To guide and add your strings.

Regards,
Pablo.
Hey Mike,

I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to get this dual boot option to work. I first tried following the instructions from here with no luck.

I then stumbled upon your posting, and was hoping that would be the missing piece but again I could not boot to Linux from Apple TV.

Just to give you some background I have Linux running next to a patched AppleTV OS on my AppleTV. I followed the instructions here to get it up and running.

I followed your instructions "To Boot the Apple" and once I rebooted I could see the BootLogoLinux pop up for a split second before the Apple boot logo appears at which point it tries to boot the AppleTV OS. Do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong or missing?

Would you be able to provide me with a copy of your com.apple.Boot.plist.linux file? Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out with this!

Thanks
ryjohnso,

I'm not sure if your first procedure might have messed something up - Doesnt look like it should?

Curious what happens does it actually Boot the Apple OS? or the "Restart \ Recover Screen"?

When you did the mount command for the thumb, did it mount ok?
Sounds like you might have an Apple plist file named as .linux?

I presume it boots ok with the Stick in?

Mike
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV Performance with CrystalHD0