• 1(current)
[RELEASE] Grooveshark (Script) Music Addon
Thumbs Up 
GrooveShark for XBMC
The script brings GrooveShark to XBMC. Search for and play all that GrooveShark has to offer. Set your login in the script and you'll be able to access your playlists, delete and rename them or create new ones.

Dharma and later
Use the add-ons manager in settings to install the script. After it's been enabled you can find it under Music add-ons.

If you're feeling adventurous you can try out my svn:

svn checkout http://grooveshark-for-xbmc.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ grooveshark-for-xbmc

XBOX and pre-dharma
Not supported at the moment.

Translators
If you've translated the script or updated a translation please send it to the XBMC add-ons mailing list

Bugs/feature requests
Please use my issue tracker to request features and report bugs. If you post them in the forum I might not pick up on them. If you've already requested/reported something in the forum please put it in the issue tracker.

When reporting a bug make sure that you turn on debugging in the script and in XBMC and include:
  • A debug log
  • A description of how to reproduce the bug
  • XBMC revision
  • Platform (XBOX/Linux/Windows/Mac)

Credits
The skin used in the current release for Dharma was designed by Cool_bombom.
The skin used in the now deprecated release for XBOX was designed by PantsOnFire.

FAQ
  • Q: There's a long delay between selecting a song till it actually starts playing. What gives?
    A: It's a cache issue with paplayer. Insert the following rule in userdata/playercorefactory.xml:
    Code:
    <playercorefactory>
        <rules action="prepend">
        <rule audio="true" player="audiodefaultplayer">
            <rule filename="*grooveshark.com*" player="dvdplayer"/>
        </rule>
        </rules>
    </playercorefactory>
    Playercorefactory.xml might not exist. If it doesn't, create it. Have a look here for the location of playercorefactory.xml.
Changelog

If you at some point have had 0.2.7 installed please make sure that you uninstall it before updating to newer versions. Otherwise the script might not work correctly.

0.4.3:

- Fixed a bug (change in the API) that prevented song name, album etc. from being displayed correctly in search results.
- Updated the Danish translation. Thanks mrdominuzq.
- Added Portuguese (Brazil). Thanks Wanilton.

0.4.2:

- Fixed API changes.

0.4.1:

- Fixed a bug that prevented windows users in logging in.

0.4.0:

- Migrated to new API.

- Navigation has been revamped.

- Radio support has been disabled until it's fully implemented in the new API.

- New feature: See your favorites.

- Preliminary support for external python.

- This version hasn't been tested on XBOX so don't expect it to work.

0.3.1:

- Fixed: The script couldn't get a session id due to API changes.

- New feature: Preliminary support for GrooveShark Radio (Only on Dharma).

- Enhancement: More options added in settings.

- Bug fix: The script would crash XBMC Dharma if no stream URL was returned.

0.3.0:

From this version onward only XBOX and Dharma will be supported.

- Bug fix: Exit button didn't display correctly.

- Enhancement: Search function should be much faster.

- Enhancement: Reduced number of http requests on Dharma.

- Fixed: Works on Dharma Beta 4.

- New feature: Shuffle on XBOX. Can be enabled in settings.

0.2.9:

- Fixed: Login works again after changes in the API.

- Added: Added Korean translation. Thanks neurostar.

- Added: Exit button in menu.

0.2.8:

- New feature: Search makes suggestions for songs, artists, and albums to speed up text entry. Based on AcclaimedMusic.net and the most played tracks on last.fm.

- New feature: When the script is opened it returns to the state it was in when it was closed.

- Bug fix: Using the script in XBMC Live could prevent the script from saving the session ID.

- Added: Remove duplicates on albums

0.2.7:

- Didn't work. Errornomous pull from my repo to the XBMC repo

0.2.6:

- Now compatible with Dharma Beta 2 (Found a workaround)

0.2.5:

- DOES NOT WORK ON DHARMA-BETA2!

- New feature: Songs are now queued to XBMC's native playlist meaning that playlists will keep on playing even if you quit the script.

- New feature: Find similar.

- New feature: You can now browse the album of a song that you found in a search.

- Added: Swedish translation. Thanks jolid.

0.2.4:

- Fixed: A change in the API prevented people from logging in.

- Bug fix: Playlists are no longer limited to a max. of 100 songs.

- Added: Danish translation. Thanks mrdominuzq.

- Added: Search now returns playlists as well.

- Changed: Removed alphabetic sorting since Grooveshark has a rating system that will show the best results first based on feedback from users

0.2.3:

- Misc.

0.2.2:

- Bug fix: The script wasn't able to run on revisions higher than 32321.

- Added: Hungarian translation. Thanks alanwww1.

0.2.1:

- Bug fix: Couldn't navigate to albums found during a search.

0.2.0:

First version for the new Addon-manager.
Thumbs Up 
Solver this is fantastic! I've been looking for grooveshark in xbmc for ages. Thanks for the great work! I used Moovida for a while (nice reference point for consideration re: artwork display). But now can have it in xbmc, sweet. Big Grin

I can't use Pandora where I am so this is a fantastic alternative. The Pandora app UI for Boxee is quite nicely laid-out. I think its a great effort you've made- there's been far worse scripts/plugins gone by in terms of usability.

The appearance of Grooveshark on the site is yellow so I can see why you've gone down this route. Maybe I can help contribute gfx to make a darker look that would be easier on the eyes at night?

I'm also impressed how quickly the songs load!
Hi Solver,
I agree with pantsonFire, great script and extremely useful. login is fast, as well as searching and playing, really nice work!
some comments (at least for the functionality on Xbox):
- alternative to yellow would indeed be easier on the eyes
- when toggling display to go to xbmc visualization while playing, it will jump back to the grooveshark display when the next song is loaded, and stays there.
- submenus/context menus: when selecting a song from the playlist or search results, the options (ie: play, queue, queue all...) are overlaid in white letters on top of the song list, so it is not clear what is written and many times you have to guess what you are clicking on. perhaps a different opaque background to that list would solve it. also some bar that will show what is currently selected.

thanks,
gilsil
PantsOnFire Wrote:The appearance of Grooveshark on the site is yellow so I can see why you've gone down this route. Maybe I can help contribute gfx to make a darker look that would be easier on the eyes at night?
gilsil Wrote:- alternative to yellow would indeed be easier on the eyes

Hehe, it is quite yellow isn't it Smile My first layout was much darker, but then I stumbled upon the current background and thought that it might work. But I agree that it needs some better graphics so I would appreciate your contribution, PantsOnFire. The submenus do not use WindowXMLDialog yet so it's not that skinable right now. It's on my todo Smile

PantsOnFire Wrote:The Pandora app UI for Boxee is quite nicely laid-out.
I had a quick look at it and I'd have to agree - would be a nice layout.

gilsil Wrote:- when toggling display to go to xbmc visualization while playing, it will jump back to the grooveshark display when the next song is loaded, and stays there.
Strange, I don't recall it doing that on my linux box...

gilsil Wrote:- submenus/context menus: when selecting a song from the playlist or search results, the options (ie: play, queue, queue all...) are overlaid in white letters on top of the song list, so it is not clear what is written and many times you have to guess what you are clicking on. perhaps a different opaque background to that list would solve it. also some bar that will show what is currently selected.
Could you make a screenshot? It's not that transparent on my box...
Star 
I've had a bit of a play with things.

Gilsil, I couldn't replicate the problem you were having with submenus/context menus.

A thing or two I noticed along the way:

* Script background image and stop/pause etc. icons appear stretched on my 16x9 screen. (script is loading 4x3 background by default?)

* Tab order: If you are moving up one by one from the bottom (in the area where the play buttons are), the tab order skips past 'Settings' (goes straight from STOP/PAUSE icon to 'Popular'.

* As it stands, the SKIP,STOP,PAUSE functions only work for songs currently in the playlist. It might be nice if you can: Search, the results appear. Play a track, then FWD/BK skip changes to the next/prev track in the search result pane. Maybe I could have explained that better?! - what I mean is, if you wanted to listen to Muse tracks only for example, it would be nice and easy to use, to just search Muse, click song results, click play and then use FWD/BK skip buttons to get to the next muse track from the search results.

* The highlighted/focused song in the playlist.. could the focus be shifted to highlight the song currently playing? (we can see which song is currently playing by the ticker, but I think it would be friendly for the focus bar to also move to reflect that).

- I say that because there's no current artwork being displayed for music playing (usually an obvious indicator of what's playing).

Changes I made:
* Changed background image (and logo area)
(I'm a little dissapointed by the aliasing around the Grooveshark logo), I was using Pixlr (an online image editor) as I can't get on with Gimp and I don't have Photoshop on my laptop. - Pixlr dosen't seem to scale the images very well.
* Changed the focus/highlight colour in the songlist area.
- I've left room under the Grooveshark icon for a potential future album artwork image?

I haven't had an idea for how to improve the media playback buttons. I think the ones at the moment are fine? (they just look a bit stretched on my tv) -re: that stretching issue I mentioned.

Some general things I think would improve the look of it:
The font is fine enough, but maybe it could be larger? (current search results show 20 items on screen in the list). If you are considering adding the album art images to the left of the results (like in Moovida) you'd probably fit maybe 10 results on the screen as a result. I think the font in the lost needs to be bigger even if art was added to the left. -would be a bit easier to read from far back.

The results pane on the left almost fills the screen entirely top to bottom. If if was to be a bit shorter (take 1/8th of the top and bottom), I think it would look neater. Perhaps the design idea was to make as much use of screenspace as possible? I can understand that.

General fontsize increase really, on the results pane, and also the options menu on the right.

I've included a screenshot so you can see what I've done.

ps- what's needed to turn this from a script into a plugin?
I added the script to my favourites list, however running it from the favs list makes my xbmc hang. (common with scripts? or is my build a bit cack?)
Hi,
pantsonfire, cool skin! where can i get it to try?
also, i dont really know how to upload the example screenshots (it asks for url http but i have them on my computer), but also in the example you showed, the yellow square with e queue options would be confusing on the yellow background. maybe a dark background like the one you made would be the problem.
regarding the resolution, i use 16x9 720p resolution on my xbox and perhaps because of this i have the grooveshark logo streched sidewise and not round. any way to fix that?

also, did you experience the issue with the visualization stopping between tracks and going back to the GS home?

thanks
gilsil
PantsOnFire Wrote:I've had a bit of a play with things.
I must say it looks good. You mind sending it to me so I can put it in the download section?

PantsOnFire Wrote:* Script background image and stop/pause etc. icons appear stretched on my 16x9 screen. (script is loading 4x3 background by default?)

Currently it defaults to 4:3. Haven't implemented 16:9 yet.

PantsOnFire Wrote:* Tab order: If you are moving up one by one from the bottom (in the area where the play buttons are), the tab order skips past 'Settings' (goes straight from STOP/PAUSE icon to 'Popular'.

Heh, thought I had corrected that.

PantsOnFire Wrote:* As it stands, the SKIP,STOP,PAUSE functions only work for songs currently in the playlist. It might be nice if you can: Search, the results appear. Play a track, then FWD/BK skip changes to the next/prev track in the search result pane. Maybe I could have explained that better?! - what I mean is, if you wanted to listen to Muse tracks only for example, it would be nice and easy to use, to just search Muse, click song results, click play and then use FWD/BK skip buttons to get to the next muse track from the search results.

It's on my todo.

PantsOnFire Wrote:* The highlighted/focused song in the playlist.. could the focus be shifted to highlight the song currently playing? (we can see which song is currently playing by the ticker, but I think it would be friendly for the focus bar to also move to reflect that).

- I say that because there's no current artwork being displayed for music playing (usually an obvious indicator of what's playing).

I'm currently working on adding cover art and I think I found a way of highlighting what is currently playing.

PantsOnFire Wrote:Changes I made:
* Changed background image (and logo area)
(I'm a little dissapointed by the aliasing around the Grooveshark logo), I was using Pixlr (an online image editor) as I can't get on with Gimp and I don't have Photoshop on my laptop. - Pixlr dosen't seem to scale the images very well.
* Changed the focus/highlight colour in the songlist area.
- I've left room under the Grooveshark icon for a potential future album artwork image?

Good call. The plan was to have cover art where the GS logo is and at the same move the player controls the reside just beneath the cover

PantsOnFire Wrote:Some general things I think would improve the look of it:
The font is fine enough, but maybe it could be larger? (current search results show 20 items on screen in the list). If you are considering adding the album art images to the left of the results (like in Moovida) you'd probably fit maybe 10 results on the screen as a result. I think the font in the lost needs to be bigger even if art was added to the left. -would be a bit easier to read from far back.

I completely agree. I currently have 7 items in the list with album to the left of the song title. And the font has gotten a little bigger

PantsOnFire Wrote:Perhaps the design idea was to make as much use of screenspace as possible? I can understand that.

That was the idea but I realized, as you did, that less is more ;-)

PantsOnFire Wrote:ps- what's needed to turn this from a script into a plugin?

Currently I'm not sure. But at some point I'm gonna do it so that I can use GrooveShark from the remote for the iPhone.

PantsOnFire Wrote:I added the script to my favourites list, however running it from the favs list makes my xbmc hang. (common with scripts? or is my build a bit cack?)
Honestly, I have no idea.
Hi,
regarding the transparency issue it seems to be an xbox thing since it looks ok on the windows version. no idea why the graphics changes, but on the xbox the menu has only the text and the box is invisible.
any ideas as to why the xbox runs the script differently, and more important, can it be fixed?
otherwise the script runs perfectly in terms of streaming music, accessing the playlists, saving new ones, and no problem running it from "Favorites".
gilsil
@solver, Do you mind if i base my site off you code?
brandon15811 Wrote:@solver, Do you mind if i base my site off you code?

Go right ahead. But get GrooveAPI.py from svn since I've made some improvements compared to the one in the download section.
gilsil Wrote:any ideas as to why the xbox runs the script differently, and more important, can it be fixed?

I have no experience with the XBOX and what might be the difference between it and the Linux version. So I wouldn't know where to look for the problem, sorry.
solver Wrote:Go right ahead. But get GrooveAPI.py from svn since I've made some improvements compared to the one in the download section.

Okay, Thanks
Is this script compatible with the SVN addon manager thingy?
for those who ran into the same trouble with the transparent popup menus on xbox, i tried different things and it seems as if in the GrooveGUI.py file, the directory for the popup pngs should be written like this:
'resources\skins\DefaultSkin\media'

(instead of with "/").
hope it helps someone out there... awesome script!!!
gilsil
It don't work on my XBMC 9.11 on Ubuntu 10.04.

I see the yellow screen but the Message still say Loading Folder on 100% after 2 hours still show the same. I can't close the whole Plugin, so I always need to close XBMC an restart from Desktop Sad

I am using Confluence as standard Skin.

Any Ideas, or is there a newer version available?
Come get some :cool::cool:
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Grooveshark (Script) Music Addon4