Prebuilt Choices
shag, how did you update the bios? Were you able to boot DOS from a USB flash drive?
idlehands Wrote:sounds like the asrock is a bit nicer/easier then?

though the hd is cheaper?

The reviews on the hd say that the wireless blows(slow, poor signal strength etc), you having no issues with that then?

Not sure about the cost as my ASROCK was £240 but that came with 320GB HDD and 2 GB RAM, the Zotac HD i had to put in the HDD and 2GB SODIMM so i would say they are about the same price.

I actually use the ethernet port as my router and NAS are all under my TV. I only got the wireless working to see if i could. I will try streaming over it from my NAS and let you know. Signal was strong for me but then the router is only 1.5 meters away.

KeithLM Wrote:shag, how did you update the bios? Were you able to boot DOS from a USB flash drive?

I gave up with trying to boot from USB as i was impatient so i booted from a UBCD i had laying about and ran the win32 exe that came in the bios update zip from the zotac site which i saved to a usb stick.
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini
Quote:I gave up with trying to boot from USB as i was impatient so i booted from a UBCD i had laying about and ran the win32 exe that came in the bios update zip from the zotac site which i saved to a usb stick.

What does that mean? What's a UBCD?
KeithLM Wrote:What does that mean? What's a UBCD?

Ultimate Boot CD, think you can download it if you google it. It is basicaly a WindowsPE (PreBoot Environment) CD, so a 32bit windows OS on a bootable from a CD. Like i said it is a pain in the a*se to ge this setup. You could boot to a DOS environment as there is a dos exe in the bios update zip (download from the zotac site) but i just so happened to have that bootable windows CD so i used that. If you have the time to set up a bootable USB stick with DOS or Windows then that would work just as well. Just a shame that the Zotac bios does not allow direct updating or an update utility in the CMOS. You have to use DOS or Windows.
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini
Yeah, it's ridiculous how much trouble it is to update the bios still.

After my last post I continued on with my search to make a bootable USB flash drive. FWIW this method worked for me. Now I just got to make sure I don't screw up the one I got set up. Should work for a lot of PC's I think.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prebuilt Choices0