Delay before stream on Acer 1600
Hi all -

I've had XBMC running on the Acer 1600 for a few months now and it's been flawless. I was streaming hi-def content from a windows home server which was hard wired to my Apple Airport N router. The Acer was also hard wired to this router. Recently though I did away with the windows home server. It was an almost 10 year old P4 processor and tower system that sounded like a jet engine when it was running. I still needed a windows server since it was a dual development platform so I went and bought another Acer 1600 to replace it. Here's the thing, when I'm streaming from the Acer (running Win XP) I'm experiencing delays while it loads the file and sometimes I'll get a "buffering" message. This doesn't always happen mind you, it seems like a random event but never had that before. The only difference is that I've now got the media on an external drive whereas before the drives were in the P4 system. So it's basically USB drive connected to Acer, which is connected to router then XBMC live connected to the same router (both Acer machines are on the same shelf in my cabinet) and the video library reads from a SMB share that I set up. I first thought it was a delay while the external drive powered on but it's configured to never sleep or power off.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is this the nature of the beast if streaming from a machine where the media is on an external drive?

Cheers.
boot to the live cd and see if there is a difference. I noticed mine played much better when I did so.

Also...have you upgraded to 2gig ram?....and is the external drive usb2.0 or esata?

If it is an ol enclosure it may be usb1.0 and may not be reading fast enough for the HD stream.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Delay before stream on Acer 16000