Library mode doesn't work when starting XBMC through EventGhost
This seems to defy logic.

I am running the latest version of XBMC on my Acer Revo. It's been working great. I have my music & video files loaded in and everything looks and works great - especially the Movies in Library mode.

Last night I setup my Media Center Remote and after that I could not get to the Movies anymore. Well I can get to the listing and see the plot, fanart, covers etc...but could not play ANY movie - I get this error:

"Remove movie from Library - This File is no longer available. Would you like to remove it from the library". I also received this error when trying to access the source (while trying to trouble shoot this) "Remote Share / Path Not Found" error message. The Music is still accessible and the only difference (other than how I'm starting XBMC) is that I had used a mapped drive for the videos but went direct to the network path for the music. No particular reason, just tried both methods out...both worked fine before the MCE remote setup. All data files are located on my Windows Home Server and no other network issues at all.

I was able to get the remote to work great with XBMC using EventGhost - I even set it up so I can start XBMC with the GREEN button on the remote (and bring XBMC to the front if I want to toggle over from Hulu Desktop.
But then I found the problem with accessing the video files - the "Path Not Found" error. By accident I fund that if I start XBMC the "normal" way (from the Programs menu) that the issue goes away. BUT if I start XBMC through my remote (via EventGhost) Then none of my mapped drives appear - and thus the mapped drive isn't there. I found this by trying to update the source - I can't see any of my several mapped drives in XBMC when starting from the remote/EG but they are there in "My Computer" and play from there. They are also there if I exit and restart XBMC using my mouse and from the Programs menu etc.

I found a few posts noting to add "-fs" and/or "p" as command line options in EventGhost but that didn't make a difference. The actual shortcut in the Programs menu for XBMC doesn't specify any command line options. I even tried specifying the working directory - that didn't make a difference either.

So it seems to be something to do with how XBMC starts up through EG - but doesn't make any sense to me.

Other Information: EG is being run as Administrator. I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium, I've even tried several different skins - currently using Confluence.

Here are 2 log files - the first is from a "norm" startup and I play a movie. The second one is from when I start through EG from my remote - I also try to play the same movie. I can see all sorts of errors with the V:\ drive not being there...but I already knew that part.

http://pastebin.com/NkZb97iX

http://pastebin.com/SrJpztAy

I searched the forums and Googled and found a few somewhat similar issues (Path not found) but the resolutions had nothing to do with my version of XBMC or specifics - and NONE had anything to do with starting XBMC via the remote/EG.

Thanks for your assistance!
try running eventghost as Admin -> right click and run as admin on the shortcut, or set it directly on the eventghost shortcut
I'm doing that. I noted that in the post. NOTE: If I don't run EG as Administrator, EG doesn't "hear" my remote...

Anyways - forgot to note above - I could likely add a new source using SMB vs the mapped drive (since that is still working for music) - But I'm fairly certain that will force me to have to re-scrape for all the movies and I had manually changed a number of the Cover Art selections and actual movies it automatically selected that were wrong. Also changed a fair bit of fan-art so really don't want to do that over.
Sounds like user permission issues.
You could either:
1) Use the SMB path instead of a mapped drive
2) Verify that user "Everyone" has access to shares on mapped drive.
3) Turn off UAC and not run EG as "admin"

I think #1 will solve your issue, while #2, #3 should be troubleshooting steps.

Win7 64-bit | AMD Athlon X2 4850e | 780G Chipset | 2 GB RAM | ATI Radeon 3200 | XBMC 10.0
What stands out is that all the INSERT's to save the stream details are failing. It's probing the files to get the stream details so it doesn't seem to be a file permission problem.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Quote:Sounds like user permission issues.
You could either:
1) Use the SMB path instead of a mapped drive
2) Verify that user "Everyone" has access to shares on mapped drive.
3) Turn off UAC and not run EG as "admin"

I think #1 will solve your issue, while #2, #3 should be troubleshooting steps.

Turning off UAC "fixes" the problem - but makes no sense to me and I don't want to run that way. There is only one user on the PC - and the access rights to the WHS shares are based on the Login ID - and all those mapped drives work fine outside of XBMC - even when XBMC can't play the files.

Can anyone verify what will happen to all the scraped data if I CHANGE the video source to SMB? I'm guessing Its back to the initial state. Worse case, I can do that but hate to start over if there is another fix.

Quote:What stands out is that all the INSERT's to save the stream details are failing. It's probing the files to get the stream details so it doesn't seem to be a file permission problem.

So if not a permission issue (which it sort of seems to be - but why I don't know?) - what would it be?

Should EG be passing along something for Command Line Parameters when it starts XBMC? I can't see how starting XBMC from the Programs menu vs EG makes any difference - I'm NOT starting XBMC as Admin anyways.
call me crazy but it sounds like you have permission issues for the .db / the userdata folder.
Quote:call me crazy but it sounds like you have permission issues for the .db / the userdata folder.

I won't call you crazy, but I'm a short putt from being there...

The userdata is in the AppData/roaming folder (default) and no issues with the Music files which use the same file location though. Also, my Apple Tarilers addin/script works fine and downloads the trailers to the userdata folder.

Only when EG starts XBMC does this kick in - like my opener - deems to defy logic.

Not sure what to do...holding off on changing the source to the SMB method in hopes somebody out there can figure this out!
What happends if you dont start EG in admin mode, then just execute the start xbmc macro in EG. Does it work then? What verison of EG are you running?
Could UAC possibly be blocking write access to the userdata folder?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
kraqh3d Wrote:Could UAC possibly be blocking write access to the userdata folder?

that or the regular ms bullshit when you run with different privliges, it reports that you are in the regular %appdata% folder,but when you dont run as admin the folder is a kinda a virtual folder that could be on Mars. Easiest solution is just to turn of UAC
Quote:Can anyone verify what will happen to all the scraped data if I CHANGE the video source to SMB? I'm guessing Its back to the initial state. Worse case, I can do that but hate to start over if there is another fix.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=543708&postcount=2

Quote:Should EG be passing along something for Command Line Parameters when it starts XBMC? I can't see how starting XBMC from the Programs menu vs EG makes any difference - I'm NOT starting XBMC as Admin anyways.
You could try having EG start XBMC with a batch file using runas.exe
e.g., runas.exe /user:USERNAME "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
It will request a password for your user (and I'm suggesting that you use the username you already have setup on the PC and for the WHS shares), but that should help you determine if its a permission issue or not. Then its a matter of figuring out if it's permissions on the WHS or for your db files as mentioned above.

Win7 64-bit | AMD Athlon X2 4850e | 780G Chipset | 2 GB RAM | ATI Radeon 3200 | XBMC 10.0
frotsen Wrote:What happends if you dont start EG in admin mode, then just execute the start xbmc macro in EG. Does it work then? What verison of EG are you running?

+1

Quote:What happends if you dont start EG in admin mode, then just execute the start xbmc macro in EG. Does it work then? What verison of EG are you running?

Interesting...if I run EG normally (not in admin mode) and execute the "start xbmc" macro - everything works the way it should! EG version is latest - just downloaded last night. Looks like 0.3.7r1462.

If EG was installed to a folder outside "program files" would that solve the problem? I know that Hulu desktop installed itself to the AppData/Local folder (completey).

Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by kraqh3d View Post
Could UAC possibly be blocking write access to the userdata folder?

Quote:that or the regular ms bullshit when you run with different privliges, it reports that you are in the regular %appdata% folder,but when you dont run as admin the folder is a kinda a virtual folder that could be on Mars. Easiest solution is just to turn of UAC

I don't think it's a permissions issue with userdata otherwise ALL of the data in there would be in the same boat (Music, Apple Trailers). I'm thinking that it has something to do with Mapped Drives (being under the PC Login name) and with EG running in Admin mode - it still has access to the WHS shares but NOT to my userID's mapped drives. There's some logic there at least.

On the flipside - is there a way to have EG "hear" my MCE remote w/o running it in Admin mode? I seem to recall reading a post somewhere about drivers or dll's needing to be swapped out/updated to get past that? But that was before I had set it up...seemed like the "run in admin" mode was an easier fix - yeah right!

I just thought of this: Is there a way to login to my PC as "Administrator"? I've never had a reason to do that since I have Admin privileges - but perhaps that would get everything working on the same playing field?
Quote:You could try having EG start XBMC with a batch file using runas.exe
e.g., runas.exe /user:USERNAME "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
It will request a password for your user (and I'm suggesting that you use the username you already have setup on the PC and for the WHS shares), but that should help you determine if its a permission issue or not. Then its a matter of figuring out if it's permissions on the WHS or for your db files as mentioned above.

I tried that - same problem as before - so not an XBMC issue then?

I like the other suggestion in the post you referenced above - exporting the current library to individual files - not sure I completely understand how it will work, but sounds like it would allow me to re-setup the source to the SMB method and avoid all of this. Is there documentation on how that works? I'll go looking, but if anybody has that at their fingertips...mahalos

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library mode doesn't work when starting XBMC through EventGhost0