Enable Subtitle by name
Question 
I've been wondering if this is something I can do by simply modifying the Advanced Settings file or if this is something that has to be coded in.

I have subtitles always disabled since all my videos have them burned in. A small collection however (mainly all my high def stuff) has the subtitles included, but not burned in. This is only a problem when the subtitles I want are the ones for non-english speaking parts only. Then I have to physically go into the movie's audio settings, find out if the subtitle exists, and then enable it which can be a little bit of a drag.

Is there some way I can have XBMC look at the name of the subtitle (ex: "Non-English" as the name) and have it enable the subtitle if it matches the prerequisite? In other words, taking the legwork I would do and simply enabling it itself if the name of the subtitle matches the name I've told it to always enable?

Thanks for any help. Devs, you're doing an amazing job. Please keep it up!
Dude I have no idea what you mean,

You can have as many external subtitles as you'd like in various formats (srt, sub, ass, ssa etc...),

Simply put them in a folder "X" where X is the title of the movie e.g., name the subtitles the same name of the movie file (mkv, avi etc...) and inside your XBMC player you can switch between those external subtitles as you'd like,

Hope that helps,
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:LAPTOP:. Dell [C2D E6400] [8G DDR2] [Intel X4500HD] [LED 14'' 1280*800@60p]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]
The subtitles are already muxed with the movie. I added them in with MKV Toolnix since they were special subs for non-English speaking scenes. I gave them a special description name like "non-English subs"
So what I'd like to know is if there is a way for XBMC to look at the sub description I've given it and enable it if it matches to a name I've told it to enable if it finds the sub in any movie. If however the subtitle's description does not match any of the names I've given to enable subtitles, then subtitles would simply remain off.

Sorry if it's a little confusing, I'm not quite sure how else to describe what I'm trying to do.
Oh okay I understand now,

Unfortunately my knowledge is not so vast, perhaps a developer can confirm if there is a way to parse a specific subtitle in an mkv...
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:LAPTOP:. Dell [C2D E6400] [8G DDR2] [Intel X4500HD] [LED 14'' 1280*800@60p]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]
Since the majority have subtitles muxed in, why are you disabling subs at all?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Even though some are muxed, I don't always want subtitles on. There are about 20% of the films that require the muxed non-english speaking subtitles where all the others have english or chinese subs for the entire movie. Instead of having to pull up the subtitle menu at the start of the movie, check to see if I've muxed a certain subtitle by description, choose it if necessary and then enable subtitles, I think it would be so much more easier if XBMC could check all that itself at the start of each video. Is there any kind of Advanced Setting or something I could look into adding?

(Just for added clarification. I do not burn subtitles into these films so any scene where the language changes has no subtitles. That's why I've muxed these special subs into the videos.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Enable Subtitle by name0