Is it possible to play movies from an external hard drive on a pc running xbmc?
Would it be possible to just plug an external hard drive into my pc through the USB port and watch movies from it?
XBMC makes it possible to play from all sources local or network. It's awesome !

So Yes Big Grin
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
I am doing that now on a laptop while I am in hospital. XBMC has made for conservation starters with the docs and nurses lol
Brad P Wrote:I am doing that now on a laptop while I am in hospital. XBMC has made for conservation starters with the docs and nurses lol

Don't you mean conversation? Tongue
nu1mlock Wrote:Don't you mean conversation? Tongue

Still getting use to typing on an iPhone and its auto speller corrector! Big Grin
lol you have some good looking nurses taking care of you ?
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
oldpink18 Wrote:Would it be possible to just plug an external hard drive into my pc through the USB port and watch movies from it?

And to actually answer your question;

You have 2 scenarios;

1/ The computer on which you'll attach the external USB2 HDD is different than the computer on which you actually run XBMC (meaning that they are linked through a network)

In which case, you connect your external HDD to any computer in your network and make sure you share it through your Workgroup correctly (rights),

Then on the computer that is running XBMC; make sure you map locally the network drive you obtained, then in XBMC you add a Source that point to the drive letter you've dedicated to this mapped network drive and you're good to go

- The computer on which you'll attach the external USB2 HDD is the same than the computer on which you actually run XBMC (single computer)

In that case, you just connect the HDD and add a source in XBMC with the specified drive letter and you're good to go!

hope this helps! Wink
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:LAPTOP:. Dell [C2D E6400] [8G DDR2] [Intel X4500HD] [LED 14'' 1280*800@60p]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to play movies from an external hard drive on a pc running xbmc?0