recommendations for a home remote
I have my xbmc set up on my acer revo, and it's working great, however the wife is complaining about the keyboard & mouse in the living room Smile

So I was looking at an inexpensive HP ir remote to work it, but then I came across the "joggler" which apparently can be used as an xbmc remote, but they're out of stock and only sold in the UK?

But I like the idea of the touch screen mobile remote better, and when the joggler was availble, it seemed inexpensive. Are there any joggler-like devices out there that are inexpensive and can be used as an xbmc remote, with a nice-looking touch screen that the wife will approve of?

any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Are you sure that meets your wife's requirements? Looks complicated to me, and usually the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is highly dependent on the control being in tune with the rest of the family room accouterments ... meaning, a remote should look like a remote.

You might be able to hide a mini keyboard out of the way for when its needed, but a universal remote can be left right out in the open for God and her girlfriends to see.

I have a Lenovo wireless mini-keyboard, and love it, but my wife thinks it is YAG ("Yet Another Gadget") and rolls her eyes.
She would like something small like this. I was looking at one of those logitech harmoney remotes, or something similiar, but they're kinda pricey for what I'm trying to do with it.

It seems like a good idea, but I don't know why they seem hard to buy. Couldn't even find one on ebay.
Are using windows or linux?

You may want to try getting a usb-uirt. No need for a logitech remote. You can use any generic remote you may already have. In Windows combined with eventghost you can have it not only control xbmc but turn off your tv, turn up the volume on your receiver, turn off your lights, launch a program,etc.

You can do the same under linux but doing any blasting is imo difficult to set up.
Thanks. I'm using the default linux build, running it off an SD card in the slot, not even using the HD.

will those HP IR remotes not even work in this scenario?

I don't have any spare remotes lying around, so buying a cheap one wouldn't be the end of the world.

The joggler thing was going to be just that, a glorified remote, but it looked cool, so it was more of the wow factor, and it was only $76

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
recommendations for a home remote0