xbmc-port-depends
I apologize for not remembering much about Unix, it was so long ago. I am trying to install MacPorts 1.7.1 from the instructions.

How do I edit or create a .profile file if it is invisible?

I typed the command into terminal and continued. I changed the default compilers. Then when I entered:

sudo nano /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

I got a screen of comments and a list of what I presume to be commands, but no cursor or way to proceed that I could find.

Can someone please help me?

Regards,

Larry
larryapple Wrote:I apologize for not remembering much about Unix, it was so long ago. I am trying to install MacPorts 1.7.1 from the instructions.

How do I edit or create a .profile file if it is invisible?

I typed the command into terminal and continued. I changed the default compilers. Then when I entered:

sudo nano /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

I got a screen of comments and a list of what I presume to be commands, but no cursor or way to proceed that I could find.

Can someone please help me?

Regards,

Larry

nano .profile

look at the bottom of the window when in nano, the command are listed there.

up/down/right/left arrow keys are useful Smile
Thanks for the help. Must I change to 10.4, which I no longer have installed anywhere?
larryapple Wrote:Thanks for the help. Must I change to 10.4, which I no longer have installed anywhere?

Ahh no. The whole point behind http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-port-depends/ is to enabled building xbmc targeted to 10.4uSDK on 10.5 and 10.6 OSX boxes. Targeting 10.4uSDK just means it will run on 10.4/10.5/10.6/AppleTV.

And no, you cannot target a different SDK. The build system WILL barf and die if you try.
Again, thanks for the help, Davilla. Of course I should have realized that about 10.4. I have now completed installing everything until I got to the lines:

Both Xcode and Terminal compilation require that build environment be setup
first. This is a simple step and involves the following:

$ cd $HOME/XBMC
$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure
$ make clean
$ make xcode_depends

But the cd $HOME/XBMC says there is no such directory and I can't seem to find it.
larryapple Wrote:Again, thanks for the help, Davilla. Of course I should have realized that about 10.4. I have now completed installing everything until I got to the lines:

Both Xcode and Terminal compilation require that build environment be setup
first. This is a simple step and involves the following:

$ cd $HOME/XBMC
$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure
$ make clean
$ make xcode_depends

But the cd $HOME/XBMC says there is no such directory and I can't seem to find it.

cd $HOME/XBMC is notation form for cd into the xbmc source code directory. $HOME should be /Users/<username>, XBMC would be the dir created by the svn checkout. This of course depends on how you did the svn checkout as the default names can be changed and you might have done the svn checkout in some other directory.

Need to start thinking now rather than just copy/paste/pray. The above error should be obvious, you are going to build xbmc from source code, where should you be ? ./bootstrap means run the binary bootstrap from the current directory. Where's bootstrap?
Well, I foolishly checked out XBMC to the desktop and then later moved it to my projects folder inside my user folder, where I normally keep things. I use SVN all the time for dozens of projects that we have written over the years, I should have known better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc-port-depends0