[LINUX] XBMC how 5.1 digital audio out works?
I have XBMC Live on NVIDIA ION MB and connect Sony 5.1 Dolby Pro II receiver via optical or SP/DIF.
I have video with 5.1 AAC LC or HE AAC audio to play.
Will XBMC decode AAC LC stream to any kind of uncompressed 5.1 or AAC3? Or just send it as it is via digital out to let audio receiver do the job?
How can I force XBMC to decode AAC LC before sending out?

what is happening now if audio is AAC LC or HE in receiver i got only two rear supl channels decoded on receiver, so no voices, front, center etc.

CrystalP Wrote:XBMC will transcode any format (AAC, DTS, MP3,...) to AC3 on the fly in the next stable version. It's already available in the development SVN releases if you feel adventurous.
Setup your audio output as 'digital' or 'optical/coaxial', check "AC3 capable receiver" and any other that your receiver supports. That's it, listen to your AAC5.1 content in 5.1!

CrystalP Wrote:This feature will be available in the next stable version. It was added mid-february in the development releases.

Jezz_X Wrote:pretty sure the last official nigtlies had this feature http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/ or if your on linux use the svn ppa
I have similar issues. I am running a ZBox with Ubuntu 10.04 and the latest XBMC build from SVN launchpad. I can't get it to transcode DTS to AC3, but the (slightly older) SVN build on my Mac does it fine.
I'll try to plug the optical directly into my receiver to see if that changes something, but there is only rear sound when playing DTS content via HDMI.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
hmm... so i have been experiencing something which i think may be related; nearly all of my dts/ac3/5.1 movies appear to be rather muted. i play them on (analog) stereo output and basically have to crank the volume on my tv to nearly 100% to get something audible. could it be that i'm hitting the same bug where it's not decoding the front nor center speakers? (i've been having this issue for the last few months on trunk builds now)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC how 5.1 digital audio out works?0