Smarter Playlists
Just chatter really, not a request for help or a feature request, but I always feel things would go to the next level if playlists were just a little smarter.

For example, let's say I have the following 3 shows;

Simpsons
30 Rock
Breaking Bad

today i put them in my playlist and set it to random (shuffle) and it plays the episodes. great stuff. love it.

the downside is that i want to see some of the episodes (series') in order, or i only want to see watched eps of a certain series.

Using the series' above, it would be great to be able to say;

Playlist =

Simpsons - any and all
30 Rock - watched episodes only
Breaking Bad - the next unwatched episode (and requires confirmation)

then it's more like I'm watching a 'TV station'. The requires confirmation is there to make sure the watch is acknowledged in case the episode comes on while you're taking a nap, or doing a poo, or whatever. The confirm might come up before the episode is about to play, e.g. "New ep of BB is about to play, press ok to confirm, 10, 9, 8...., 2, 1." And then if you don't confirm, it skips to the next thing in the playlist.

there's probably more permutations too, but i think those simple scenarios would take the playlists to the next level.
Have you already tried intelligent playlists in xbmc ?
There you can use a lot of filters Wink
yeah, you can get close, but i've never seen the confirm option...to confirm that you've now watched episode x, or want to watch episode x, within the stream of random shows/episodes.
There's also an option to hide watched.
hiding watched is a great feature too. i mean all in all the playlists are the killer feature in xbmc. when telling media center people about xbmc, the playlists are always the thing that xbmc can do that mc can't.

I'm after that little thrill when a new episode of something comes on within the mix of other random shows;

'Oh cool, I've been wanting to see this'!

but without the, 'let's get setup to watch x' or 'wait, this seems like a few episodes after where i'm up to.

just chatter though...don't want to turn this into a feature request or anything.
There for we have the library function recently added and the recently added script Smile
oh, i never knew about a recently added script, thanks for the tip. i do love the recently added function for the library though. great feature.
Uh.....what recently added script, pleaseHuh?

Thanks,
Mark
That most skins have default..on homescreen.
oh yes, i see. that is a great feature too, but a little step away from inserting new shows into your stream of shows without skipping or spoiling episodes....
good points as0l0, i also try to achieve something like a custom tv-station. i wish there was some task planner or similiar feature to schedule playback of shows and movies. searched in the forums for an answer but i think this feature doesn't exist yet Sad
ssx82 Wrote:i also try to achieve something like a custom tv-station.Sad

Yeah...I made this suggestion like a year ago or more - and something I'd really like to see. I'm not sure if smart playlists have changed much lately as I'm still running an earlier version - but I thought some of these things were going to be sorted when JM re-writes the library (not sure how that's going??)
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
I too would be interested in this as I have been toying with the smart playlist trying to do the exact same thing.

Mark
just also remembered another point, which was weighting on shows within a playlist. i want to see x more often than y.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smarter Playlists0