Important video card questions
Hey everyone,

So, I have 2 media centers in my home, both xbmc-based. Running Windows 7 home premium. I recently did the "How low can you go?" xbmc live test on an old pc lying around, and stuck a Geforce 8400 in it. I was shocked to find that not only did this old Pentium 4 rig play 1080p just fine, it was playing better than my Core 2 duo, Nvidia 8600/ATi 3450 rigs. There was no tearing at all on this xbmc live box. After running some checks on my offical 9.11 windows boxes, I found that the cpu was running at 80% even with haali. Nothing was being offloaded to the GPU at all.

Cut to now, I've learned of the issues surrounding ati cards and put a Geforce 210 in the old ati rig. I've thrown on the latest nightly build (30655) too. Enabled DVXA2 and all that jazz. Works so much better! Only a little bit of tearing. The P4 xbmc live rig still works better though.

Now, for the GeForce 8600 rig, I threw on the nightly and enabled DVXA2 but found that it still has a lot of tearing. I was surprised by this because it seems to be capable of hardware acceleration. Can I expect the platform to mature into these cards, or should I consider an upgrade away from these?

Thanks!
Tearing has nothing to do with DXVA. Do you have VSYNC always on within XBMC? Do you have the vertical sync on from withing your gfx card's control panel? With windows 7 try using a basic theme instead of a aero one...or vice-versa.
Main - Intel E6750 C2D (2.66ghz)/Geforce 240
Bedroom - Intel E3300 C2D (2.5ghz)/Geforce 210
Guest Bedroom - Acer Revo 1600/ION LE
Test Desktop - Intel Q9300 C2Q (2.5ghz)/Geforce 9600 GSO

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Important video card questions0