• 21(current)
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25
Lightbulb 
Mike8913 Wrote:Im on a zotac ION board. atom 2.6 with 2 gb ram and 1tb raid 1 array

im totally at a loss of what to do. I feel like I've installed various versions of ubuntu about 20 times
Have you jumped onto the Zotac user forum? They are discussing XBMC installs over there. My H55 is working, but it is not an NVidia gpu. You did register your Zotac Mobo, right? Shocked

I would also consider a pair of 2GB RAM sticks. Video processing apps like lots of RAM 'space'. Big Grin
Great Howto! Thanks -this has got mw almost there with my ion based HTPC.

One small issue that has had me scratching my head - no sound from 4 channel audio.
I get audio from my 2ch and 6 ch audio flac/wav/dts/ac3 files. However, I have a few quadraphonic (4 channel - Lf Rf Ls Rs) flac files that have no sound when played. XBMC seems to play the files OK (PAPlayer and dvdplayer play with no errors), but my receiver shows no incoming pcm. I converted some to wav for testing, but no joy.

4 channel .dts files play OK with dvdplayer.

I suspect this is a simple fix, but cannot see for looking.

I followed the howto as read & am using xbmc svn r32869.
Audio output is set to HDMI, Speaker config 5.1 with Audio out & passthrough set to 'hdmi'.

Any hints or help appreciated.

Thanks!
@Balthazaar Is there a place where I can download a example of this format?
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
Roelio Wrote:@Balthazaar Is there a place where I can download a example of this format?

Roelio, I can provide a 4 channel test flac or wav if needed. However, it appears as through this might be an issue with the nvidia drivers. I posted this issue in the nvidia Linux forum and they have reproduced it. They are investigating a fix. See here: http://tinyurl.com/2bde5kl

If you wish to test yourself, here is a 4.0 channel id test flac: http://tinyurl.com/265akrg
OK that's good to hear thanks for the feedback.
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
Well, nvidia are saying it's a hardware issue - their hardware won't support 4 channel audio. Apparently only 2, 6 & 8 channels are supported. Not ideal, but there are workarounds (like adding silent or muted C & LFE channels for 5.1). It's a kludge, but what to do? Unless I can figure out how to route 4 channels to a 5.1 automagically, it's the only solution.
I used this guide last night to perform a new install after I completely borked my Karmic install performing a dist upgrade to Lucid...bad things happened.

Anyway, pretty much everything is working. I had to fight with the whole nVidia / Plymouth splash screen issue. For some reason XBMC had a Hell of a time autostarting with some of the kernel options in grub.

Once I got that sorted out, I found that /etc/rc.local does not seem to be executing during the bootup process. I use my wii remote to control XBMC and with previous installs, I'd add the following to /etc/rc.local:
Code:
xbmc-wiiremote &
After XBMC started I was able to press the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously, and the wii remote would sync just fine. Now rc.local doesn't seem to be executing. If I want to sync my wii remote, I have to ssh in, run #sudo /etc/rc.local and then I can sync the remote.

I checked the permissions on /etc/rc.local and, IIRC, they are the following:
Code:
-rwxr--r--
, but I'd have to check again to be absolutely sure. I'm not quite certain what's going on. I didn't find anything in /var/log/messages that tipped me off.

Anyone?
pumkinut Wrote:I used this guide last night to perform a new install after I completely borked my Karmic install performing a dist upgrade to Lucid...bad things happened.

Anyway, pretty much everything is working. I had to fight with the whole nVidia / Plymouth splash screen issue. For some reason XBMC had a Hell of a time autostarting with some of the kernel options in grub.

Once I got that sorted out, I found that /etc/rc.local does not seem to be executing during the bootup process. I use my wii remote to control XBMC and with previous installs, I'd add the following to /etc/rc.local:
Code:
xbmc-wiiremote &
After XBMC started I was able to press the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously, and the wii remote would sync just fine. Now rc.local doesn't seem to be executing. If I want to sync my wii remote, I have to ssh in, run #sudo /etc/rc.local and then I can sync the remote.

I checked the permissions on /etc/rc.local and, IIRC, they are the following:
Code:
-rwxr--r--
, but I'd have to check again to be absolutely sure. I'm not quite certain what's going on. I didn't find anything in /var/log/messages that tipped me off.

Anyone?

Hi Pumkinut,

What has worked for me for custom startup scripts is the following...

a) create A BASH SCRIPT file in: /etc/init.d/<somescript>

sudo vim /etc/init.d/<somescript>
#!/bin/bash
xbmc-wiiremote &

sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/<somescript> *is prolly not needed, but what the hell

b) use update-rc: 'sudo update.rc-d <somescript> defaults'

This should make <somescript> start at all run levels.

----------------------

Give this a shot; I'm not sure /etc/rc.local is ignored or not...
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.
Looks like that worked, thethirdnut. Although I did have to add a sleep 10 line. When I was reading around last night, and I'm not sure about this, there were some changes implemented in Lucid with udev where timing becomes an issue. So adding the pause in the script may have been what was needed the entire time, not sure. I'm just glad it works now. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem; glad it worked.
New quick install with latest drivers and features. (Dharma Beta 2)

Tested it last night on my R3610 and is absolutely amazing.

Thanks Myrison, Piethein and the developers!!
Hi guys.
Just wanted to say thanks! I have been struggling for a while trying to find a solution for the mapping problems I was having with 5.1 AAC movie files.
After reading through 32 pages of this thread last night I bit the bullet and decided to have a tinker.
I replaced my asound.conf with the file here and uploaded the HDA-Intel.conf which solved the mapping problem.
This was great but my Revo and the existing asound.conf was set up to output to both HDMI and Analog at the same time. (I have my Onkyo Amp running Zone2 speakers which require analog input)
So I went through and made the relevant changes to the ttables on that asound.conf, replaced the 7.1surround references in the HDA-Intel.conf to xbmc (which is the name of my device)
So this appears to have worked on all fronts as my outdoor speakers still work, and the dialogue of my 5.1 AAC movies is actually coming out of the centre speaker.

Here is a copy of the files in case any one else would like a similar set up.

Asound.conf.
Code:
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Hardware - do not use directly

pcm.analog-hw {
  type hw
  card 0
  device 0
}
ctl.analog-hw {
  type hw
  card 0
}

pcm.digital-hw {
  type hw
  card 0
  device 3
}
ctl.digital-hw {
  type hw
  card 0
}

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------

#pcm.spdif-hw {
#    type hw
#    card 0
#    device 1
#}
#ctl.spdif-hw {
#    type hw
#    card 0
#}

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcm.dmix-analog {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 1234
  slave {
    pcm "analog-hw"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    rate 48000
  }
}
ctl.dmix-analog {
  type hw
  card 0
}

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcm.dmix-digital {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 1235
  slave {
    pcm "digital-hw"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    rate 48000
  }
}
ctl.dmix-digital {
  type hw
  card 0
}

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Interfaces to Use
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
pcm.digital-pcm AC3encode

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcm.analog {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "analog-hw"
  hint {
    show on
    description "Analog Output - Use analog outputs, converting samples, format, and rate as necessary."
  }
}
ctl.analog {
  type hw
  card 0
}

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcm.mixed-analog {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
  hint {
    show on
    description "Mixed Analog Output - Use analog outputs, converting samples, format, and rate as necessary. Allows mixing with system sounds."
  }
}
ctl.mixed-analog {
  type hw
  card 0
}

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcm.digital {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
  hint {
    show on
    description "Digital Output (HDMI) - Use digital outputs, converting samples, format, and rate as necessary."
  }
}
ctl.digital {
  type hw
  card 0
}

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcm.mixed-digital {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
  hint {
    show on
    description "Mixed Digital Output - Use digital outputs, converting samples, format, and rate as necessary. Allows mixing with system sounds."
  }
}
ctl.mixed-digital {
  type hw
  card 0
}

pcm.AC3encode {
  type a52
  bitrate 448
  channels 6
}

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# provide a default -for system sounds ??
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm multi
    rate 48000
  }
  # Analog Output downmix to 2 channel
  ttable.0.0 1.0
  ttable.1.1 1.0
  ttable.2.0 0.7  
  ttable.3.1 0.7  
  ttable.4.0 0.7  
  ttable.4.1 0.7  
  ttable.5.0 0.5  
  ttable.5.1 0.5
  # HDMI 6 Channel
  ttable.0.2 1.0 # FL -> FL
  ttable.1.3 1.0 # FR -> FR
  ttable.2.6 1.0 # RL -> RL
  ttable.3.7 1.0 # RR -> RR
  ttable.4.4 1.0 # C -> C
  ttable.5.5 1.0 # LFE ->LFE
  # Sdif 6 Channel
  #ttable.0.8 1.0
  #ttable.1.9 1.0
  #ttable.2.10 1.0
  #ttable.3.11 1.0
  #ttable.4.12 1.0
  #ttable.5.13 1.0
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}

pcm.xbmc {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm multi
    rate 48000
    channels 8
  }
  # Analog Output downmix to 2 channel
  ttable.0.0 1.0
  ttable.1.1 1.0
  ttable.2.0 0.7  
  ttable.3.1 0.7  
  ttable.4.0 0.7  
  ttable.4.1 0.7  
  ttable.5.0 0.5  
  ttable.5.1 0.5
  # HDMI 6 Channel
  ttable.0.2 1.0 # FL -> FL
  ttable.1.3 1.0 # FR -> FR
  ttable.2.6 1.0 # RL -> RL
  ttable.3.7 1.0 # RR -> RR
  ttable.4.4 1.0 # C -> C
  ttable.5.5 1.0 # LFE ->LFE
  # Sdif 6 Channel
  #ttable.0.8 1.0
  #ttable.1.9 1.0
  #ttable.2.10 1.0
  #ttable.3.11 1.0
  #table.4.12 1.0
  #ttable.5.13 1.0
  hint {
    show on
    description "XBMC device for analog 2 channel and hdmi 6 channel - spdif ac3 upto 6 channels"
  }
}
ctl.xbmc {
  type hw
  card 0
}

pcm.multi {
  type multi
  slaves.a.pcm "analog-hw"
  slaves.a.channels 2
  slaves.b.pcm "digital-hw"
  slaves.b.channels 6
  #slaves.c.pcm "spdif-pcm"
  #slaves.c.channels 6
  bindings.0.slave a
  bindings.0.channel 0
  bindings.1.slave a
  bindings.1.channel 1
  #Hdmi Bindings 6 Channels
  bindings.2.slave b
  bindings.2.channel 0 # FL
  bindings.3.slave b
  bindings.3.channel 1 # FR
  bindings.4.slave b
  bindings.4.channel 2 # RL
  bindings.5.slave b
  bindings.5.channel 3 # RR
  bindings.6.slave b
  bindings.6.channel 4 # C
  bindings.7.slave b
  bindings.7.channel 5 # LFE
  #Spdif Bindings 6 Channels
#  bindings.8.slave c
# bindings.8.channel 0
  #bindings.9.slave c
  #bindings.9.channel 1
  #bindings.10.slave c
  #bindings.10.channel 2
  #bindings.11.slave c
  #bindings.11.channel 3
  #bindings.12.slave c
  #bindings.12.channel 4
  #bindings.13.slave c
  #bindings.13.channel 5
}
ctl.multi {
  type hw
  card 0
}

I was going to upload the HD-Intel.conf file as well but apparently my post is too long! All you need to do is find and replace in notepad.

Anyway I am not sure that all the coding is 100% right as I have no idea about linux so I have just tried to modify files I found through the forum.
I guess if anyone sees anything that is wrong please let me know.

Thanks again guys!
Ja4220, this asound.conf you posted gives your hdmi and analog at the same time? what is your audio output in xbmc HDMI or custom ?

in order for me to get audio to my zone two I have to change my Audio Output to custom plughw:0,0 I'd love not to have to change it to analog every time.

-=jason=-
Hi Jason,
I have the following set in xbmc
audio output device is custom alsa:xbmc
Audio Passthrough is HDMI
Have DTS and AS3 ticked.
Works a charm. I originally got it from a thread you had been looking at
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post599925
The only real issue (which I haven't checked since making these changes) is that 2.0 channel AAC etc plays strictly as 2 channel. Previously the Amp would play in 5.1 but I am assuming now it is receiving 6 channels, just that 4 of them have no signal.
So thats not too big of an issue.
See how you go.
Cheers
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.256