Mythtv to XBMC (transferring video files)
Question 
I have a mythtv backend,
I am setting up xbmc 900km away from mythtv setup

the Internet connection is too slow for streaming the video across the Internet
(no live tv)

I am think of transferring the TV shows/movies at 12pm-2am each day to the xbmc setup

I have read about MythSExx (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythSExx)

Is rsync up to the task of transferring the videos?
Sure, why not?
XBMC Question:
how do I expire the oldest & watched first?

RSYNC Question:
how do I transfer the oldest but not watch first?
tom_a_sparks Wrote:XBMC Question:
how do I expire the oldest & watched first?

RSYNC Question:
how do I transfer the oldest but not watch first?

If by "expire" you mean the MythTV function that automatically deletes recordings, XBMC doesn't do that at all. As for rsync, you could probably put together a script that runs as a cron job and determines what files to sync based on tables from the mythconverg database. You could query the recordings table, except anything that has been watched, then sort by recorded date.
theophile Wrote:If by "expire" you mean the MythTV function that automatically deletes recordings, XBMC doesn't do that at all. As for rsync, you could probably put together a script that runs as a cron job and determines what files to sync based on tables from the mythconverg database. You could query the recordings table, except anything that has been watched, then sort by recorded date.

no, I want this driven from the xbmc side

I am think of cronjob the access xbmc database list oldest to newest witch have been watched, and deletes the oldest

my current issue is I don't want the same video download over and over
tom_a_sparks Wrote:my current issue is I don't want the same video download over and over

I strongly suggest reading up on rsync, then, because that's exactly what it does: it's intended to keep two file-systems synchronized (hence "remote synchronization" == rsync). That's both new files, skipping old files, and deleting deleted files.
crackers Wrote:I strongly suggest reading up on rsync, then, because that's exactly what it does: it's intended to keep two file-systems synchronized (hence "remote synchronization" == rsync). That's both new files, skipping old files, and deleting deleted files.

my mythtv system has very long expire date on videos (currently unknown) 1 Tb hard drive

the xbmc system has a smaller hard drive (320Gb to 500Gb)

runs on the xbmc system
1: removes videos if watched and oldest
2 runs rsync

Can you point me to where is a good rsync guide is?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mythtv to XBMC (transferring video files)0