[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares
Thank you for your help but it still doesent work.

With this line added:
//asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc smbfs defaults,user="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8 0 0

This is what I get:

root@XBMCLive:~# mount -a
[mntent]: line 13 in /etc/fstab is bad

Also you said you don't recommend /mnt or /media, which is a good mounting point then?
ptodic Wrote:Thank you for your help but it still doesent work.

With this line added:
//asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc smbfs defaults,user="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8 0 0

This is what I get:

root@XBMCLive:~# mount -a
[mntent]: line 13 in /etc/fstab is bad

Also you said you don't recommend /mnt or /media, which is a good mounting point then?

Hi,

Any other directory will do better as mount point, since /mnt and /media have specific use. Try create /windows, /share, /remote. Anything different will do (i.e. /asusg1s/c).

I don't see much difference from what I do. This is a line I use in fstab to mount a share @ my NAS:

Code:
//LS-BOMB1/TV-Series /remote/TV-Series smbfs defaults,rw,username=xbmc,password=xbmc,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0  0

In another box, I have the following to the same share:

Code:
//192.168.2.234/TV-Series /windows/TV-Series smbfs ro,defaults,user=xbmc,password=xbmc,iocharset=utf8 0       0

What is different from your line is the quotes in user name: I don't use quotes in username, since I don't need it. Everything else looks similar.
As you can see, the use of user/username or include file/dir mode will not be a reason to error.
You can try lose the quotes and test.
Also, you can use cifs instead of smbfs (don't think will do any difference).

Cheers.
Cant belive this is an issue again after I have come so close to having the perfect set-up for me!

I have spent several weeks since getting an Acer Revo and XBMCFreak installed, trying to sort everything to my liking. One thing I really wanted, was to share files from my main Win 7 PC to the Revo, but ended up "making do" with an external 1TB HDD attached to the Revo.

However, recently discovered the "Windows sign-in assistant" problem, deleted it, and hey presto - SMB shares working fine.

Then after having to re-install Windows 7 on my main PC, along with Live Essentials, I kept getting the user & password log in problems. I decided my netbook could do with a fresh install too, so do that and without installing Live Essentials, test SMB sharing and its all fine.

Then I delete Live Essentials from main PC, try SMB sharing - all good.

Put Live Essentials back on Netbook and try, and unsurprisingly its not working.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I just wanted to say I completely agree about the Live Essentials being the problem, and really hope it gets sorted soon.
i had tons of problems getting this working again when i upgraded my media server to win7... here is how i fixed it.

in win7, if you are not using it, leave the homegroup and do not set a new one up. enable filesharing at the folder level and go through the usual flaming hoops and dire warnings for that. permissions are up to you (i have no required permissions and just lock down the network instead).
go to windows media player (not media center) go to the stream dropdown and set to allow devices to play.

on your linux box add the new source as UPnP.

i cant say this is 100% flawless because i have not seen anyone else try it, but i can say that it worked for me. also, i have my IPs on everything inside my LAN statically assigned in order to prevent any problems in that area as well.
It would appear that it was not security essentials that was the problem, but the homegroup because after disabling that, i could then see the win7 machienes workgroup ID from linux but still couldnt connect via smb. after adding the streaming option from media player, that enabled me to connect via UPnP
harbingerofdoom Wrote:i had tons of problems getting this working again when i upgraded my media server to win7... here is how i fixed it.

in win7, if you are not using it, leave the homegroup and do not set a new one up. enable filesharing at the folder level and go through the usual flaming hoops and dire warnings for that. permissions are up to you (i have no required permissions and just lock down the network instead).
go to windows media player (not media center) go to the stream dropdown and set to allow devices to play.

on your linux box add the new source as UPnP.

i cant say this is 100% flawless because i have not seen anyone else try it, but i can say that it worked for me. also, i have my IPs on everything inside my LAN statically assigned in order to prevent any problems in that area as well.
It would appear that it was not security essentials that was the problem, but the homegroup because after disabling that, i could then see the win7 machienes workgroup ID from linux but still couldnt connect via smb. after adding the streaming option from media player, that enabled me to connect via UPnP

That's only good if you want UPnP .....Most files don't even share with that on windows media player.
This was driving me insane, but I now have my old XBMC (XBOX) working again with Windows 7 & Windows Live Essentials 2011.

This process involves allowing anonymous access to your Windows shares, so don't do this if you're paranoid about security.

1. On the 'Security' tab of your shared folder, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' & 'List folder contents'.

2. On the 'Share permissions' tab, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' access.

3. Start > Secpol.msc .... Navigate to 'Local Policies' > 'Security Options' > 'Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously'. Enter the share name. e.g. FamilyMovies. You add one per line for multiple shares.

Job done. No need to uninstall Live Essentials 2011.
AuXBoX Wrote:what versions of xbmc are you using?
I've been doing this method for quite some time.
With version 9.11 you will have to add the following to the sources.list
Code:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
and then
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I cant think of a better way to BORK your system. Why would you upgrade the entire OS? Install the package / packages you NEED.

apt-get upgrade is unnecessary and foolish risk to an otherwise working system. You have a big potential of breaking something that was previously working.

Get your system working and DONT EVER apt-get upgrade.
orviwan Wrote:This was driving me insane, but I now have my old XBMC (XBOX) working again with Windows 7 & Windows Live Essentials 2011.

This process involves allowing anonymous access to your Windows shares

Where do you people come from? Good GOD man.No
heh, I come from a place where XBMC is no longer supported (XBOX) and I have no alternative. Don't judge me Wink
FishOil Wrote:I cant think of a better way to BORK your system. Why would you upgrade the entire OS? Install the package / packages you NEED.

apt-get upgrade is unnecessary and foolish risk to an otherwise working system. You have a big potential of breaking something that was previously working.

Get your system working and DONT EVER apt-get upgrade.

I don't get it: don't upgrade after allow restricted updates or don't upgrade since install the system at all?

I do not believe anyone thinks that is nice keep an OS outdated... lol

Cheers.
FireMan Wrote:I don't get it: don't upgrade after allow restricted updates or don't upgrade since install the system at all?

I do not believe anyone thinks that is nice keep an OS outdated... lol

Cheers.

If your intent WAS to have an updated OS then feel free but this is an XBMC box for watching video. Just look at the first few pages of these forums and look at all the posts complaining of this broke or no longer works. Get XBMC working the way you like it at DONT FOOL WITH IT. You are flirting with disaster with apt-get upgrade.

BTW there is no need to UPGRADE the entire OS after allowing the restricted drivers / sources. You simply upgrade individual packages you NEED for XBMC.
FishOil Wrote:If your intent WAS to have an updated OS then feel free but this is an XBMC box for watching video. Just look at the first few pages of these forums and look at all the posts complaining of this broke or no longer works. Get XBMC working the way you like it at DONT FOOL WITH IT. You are flirting with disaster with apt-get upgrade.

BTW there is no need to UPGRADE the entire OS after allowing the restricted drivers / sources. You simply upgrade individual packages you NEED for XBMC.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you at all. It is foolish keep an OS outdated. This is a common knowledge.

Keep the software up-to-date is basic. Anyone knows that. you're afraid, do the right thing: keep backups. Always keep a backup... If you face a "disaster", just switch back to your backup.
It is easiest you have a HDD problem than get a "disaster" by updating using an official update. "If isn't broken, don’t fix it", but people will only worry about made updates if something is broken. That's my 2 cents.

Anyway, this is too much off topic: this topic is intended to discuss the problem between XBMC and Windows shares.

Cheers.
orviwan Wrote:This was driving me insane, but I now have my old XBMC (XBOX) working again with Windows 7 & Windows Live Essentials 2011.

This process involves allowing anonymous access to your Windows shares, so don't do this if you're paranoid about security.

1. On the 'Security' tab of your shared folder, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' & 'List folder contents'.

2. On the 'Share permissions' tab, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' access.

3. Start > Secpol.msc .... Navigate to 'Local Policies' > 'Security Options' > 'Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously'. Enter the share name. e.g. FamilyMovies. You add one per line for multiple shares.

Has anybody tried this yet? Can I get a second confirmation that this works?

Don't Work!!!!!!! :mad:
FireMan Wrote:Sorry, but I don't agree with you at all. It is foolish keep an OS outdated. This is a common knowledge.

Keep the software up-to-date is basic. Anyone knows that. you're afraid, do the right thing: keep backups. Always keep a backup... If you face a "disaster", just switch back to your backup.
It is easiest you have a HDD problem than get a "disaster" by updating using an official update. "If isn't broken, don?t fix it", but people will only worry about made updates if something is broken. That's my 2 cents.

Anyway, this is too much off topic: this topic is intended to discuss the problem between XBMC and Windows shares.

Cheers.

I bet you check for an update on your kitchen appliances firmware every few days.

Whatever, Most people have better things to do then break XBMC on purpose and then fix what they intentionally broke by BLINDLY installing things they didnt even need updated. Did you really need that update for tzdata, curl, mandb, wget and acroread.....etc....etc...etc for XBMC to function perfectly? LOL , Certainly not and somewhere, something, can and will fuck up.Big Grin Ubuntu developers are not even immune to screw ups. They put things in the repros that bork things really bad on occasion. Shit happens (to people like you)Big Grin

Feel free to bork your system. Its happened to me plenty of times. I guess you just have to get tired of it first.

Now, back on topic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares0