[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares
orviwan Wrote:This was driving me insane, but I now have my old XBMC (XBOX) working again with Windows 7 & Windows Live Essentials 2011.

This process involves allowing anonymous access to your Windows shares, so don't do this if you're paranoid about security.

1. On the 'Security' tab of your shared folder, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' & 'List folder contents'.

2. On the 'Share permissions' tab, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' access.

3. Start > Secpol.msc .... Navigate to 'Local Policies' > 'Security Options' > 'Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously'. Enter the share name. e.g. FamilyMovies. You add one per line for multiple shares.

Job done. No need to uninstall Live Essentials 2011.

Just Tried this and it Works!!!!!! Thanks a lot "orviwan" You just made my night !!!! Big Grin
digzz Wrote:Just Tried this and it Works!!!!!! Thanks a lot "orviwan" You just made my night !!!! Big Grin

I hacksawed the roof off my car. Now I have a way cool convertible, But how do i keep the rain out of my car or people stealing my stereo? Huh
FishOil Wrote:I hacksawed the roof off my car. Now I have a way cool convertible, But how do i keep people out of my car or stealing my stereo? Huh

Well it's a thing called WPA .........
digzz Wrote:Well it's a thing called WPA .........

I will let you think that one over for a bit. Report back in an hour.:p
FishOil Wrote:I will let you think that one over for a bit. Report back in an hour.:p

Or maybe even a brick wall aka Fire wall .....Haaaaaaaaaaa
FishOil Wrote:I bet you check for an update on your kitchen appliances firmware every few days.

[...]

Feel free to bork your system. Its happened to me plenty of times. I guess you just have to get tired of it first.

Now, back on topic.

Why the flame? I can not have a different opinion?

I will not have problems like you had, since I'm smarter enough to DO BACKUPS.
Maybe someday you will discover that this is the right way do not Bork a system, and not keep outdated just because you can't (or don't know) do anything if something goes wrong.
Bye

P.S.: In time, my kitchen appliances are very good and up to date. Thanks for asking
FireMan Wrote:I'm smarter enough to DO BACKUPS.

A little OT, but how do you do backups and how do you restore them should you need to?
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
KidKiwi Wrote:A little OT, but how do you do backups and how do you restore them should you need to?

Not that you asked me specifically.

I use clonezilla to do an entire partition backup. My XBMC machines are players only and have not one single video on them. The backup is compressed and transfered over the network (SMB) on-the-fly to the NAS. Its restored in the same manner. Backup is about 10 min and restore is about 5.

I keep the OS / XBMC partition reasonably small so I can always restore to some other drive if need be (like a smaller hard drive). If you clone a 60GB partition (even if you only use 5 GB) you cannot restore to a smaller drive (like a 32GB drive). So I keep the partitions small for the OS / XBMC.
FireMan Wrote:Why the flame? I can not have a different opinion?

I will not have problems like you had, since I'm smarter enough to DO BACKUPS.
Maybe someday you will discover that this is the right way do not Bork a system, and not keep outdated just because you can't (or don't know) do anything if something goes wrong.
Bye

P.S.: In time, my kitchen appliances are very good and up to date. Thanks for asking

Its not really a flame. I just think you are giving people bad advice by blindly installing things they don't need and maybe not even want. There are a shitload of windows users that come in here and blindly take advice from people. That advice should come with a how and why, not just a how. I simply tried to provide the why or in this case the why NOT.

Just like the goofball that enabled anonymous access to his machine and thanked the guy that gave him the advice. What a joke. The sad part is he has no idea what he just did.
FIXED!
The below finally worked for me as long as I used the "Advanced Sharing..." button. Not the regular "Share..." one.
You have to do all 3 bits below! Sharing & Security & Policy.

Please note this was caused this morning by the windows live essentials update. Thanks MS yet again No

orviwan Wrote:This was driving me insane, but I now have my old XBMC (XBOX) working again with Windows 7 & Windows Live Essentials 2011.

This process involves allowing anonymous access to your Windows shares, so don't do this if you're paranoid about security.

1. On the 'Security' tab of your shared folder, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' & 'List folder contents'.

2. On the 'Share permissions' tab, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' access.

3. Start > Secpol.msc .... Navigate to 'Local Policies' > 'Security Options' > 'Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously'. Enter the share name. e.g. FamilyMovies. You add one per line for multiple shares.

finite3 Wrote:FIXED!
The below finally worked for me as long as I used the "Advanced Sharing..." button. Not the regular "Share..." one.
You have to do all 3 bits below! Sharing & Security & Policy.

Please note this was caused this morning by the windows live essentials update. Thanks MS yet again No

Do you mean there's another update that blocks it again?

The Only problem with this now is After you add Source WORKGROUP and then *****-PC and it's still Locked!!!! No
Yep. With the security change, you don't have access to enumerate the shares on \\blahblah

I didn't try to fix this - I just added the shares I wanted to sources.xml.
finite3 Wrote:Not sure what you mean about source WORKGROUP.
I also have turned off Homegroup as per the original Win7 share help instructions.

What does turning off the Homegroup do? Ok my problem is I've already added my share folders on xbmc and I can access them fine now....But When I try to add a source with xbmc and go thou -WORKGROUP - MYPCNAME-PC I still get the lock screen. Huh
I've never had problems with this just follow this guide it's not that hard.

HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7

then in xbmc add network location and add smb://(your computer name)/

example:
smb://COMPUTER-PC/
Press THANK USER if I Help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares0