[Windows] Run XBMC portable from external HD
Question 
I would like to install and run XBMC completely on my external HD, so I can take with me my external HD and plug it into any windows computer and open up XBMC without any installation. Is that possible?

I would also like all the library information about my movies and tv shows to come up.

I have all movies and TV shows located on the same external HD. I tried installing XBMC on the HD and chose portabel during the installation. In addition I added -p to the shortcut for XBMC. However, when I try to run it on a different computer, I get an error message telling me a .dll file is missing.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Hi there buddy,

What you're looking for is called a "live" edition of XBMC,

I never tried myself to put an XBMC "portable" version on the same HDD that is data streaming,

(First of all, so you now, your .dll error message that you are experiencing is probably comming from a directX component who's missing, that's why the XBMC installer fetches through the internet the missing DX components, and this is why it'd be harder to keep them on an external HDD since those are supposed to be located locally in your system windows folder or so)

I'd rather (myself) go for a USB thumbdrive which is not expensive and will be a dedicated device on which to boot then you'd still stream from the external HDD just fine Smile

Hope that helps a bit...

More infos on the beloved Wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_Live)

Also, never forget that carrying the library infos on such thumb-flash-drive will considerably increase the I/O on it (read decrease the lifespan of it), and e.g. for 1500 movies info you can predict an extra 1.2GB data (info, covers, actors all scraping...)
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:LAPTOP:. Dell [C2D E6400] [8G DDR2] [Intel X4500HD] [LED 14'' 1280*800@60p]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]
and to actually answer your question;

yes, that should work just fine. simply copying the missing dll's to your xbmc folder on the ext drive should suffice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Run XBMC portable from external HD0