Why is HD not Choppy like 720?
Wondering why I can download a HD movie from iTunes from within my Apple TV and it looks fantastic in full screen on my Sony LCD YET all my 720P movies downloaded from the net are choppy?

Are the rips I'm getting just crap or is there something else at play?

720P also looks choppy in Boxee so I don't think it's XBMC.
Philco Wrote:Wondering why I can download a HD movie from iTunes from within my Apple TV and it looks fantastic in full screen on my Sony LCD YET all my 720P movies downloaded from the net are choppy?

Are the rips I'm getting just crap or is there something else at play?

720P also looks choppy in Boxee so I don't think it's XBMC.

*SIGH*, frontrow does use some GPU assist, XBMC and Boxee do not. Your only hope is CrystalHD. This point has been covered a billion times about playing 720p/1080p content on the AppleTV. Please search.
davilla Wrote:*SIGH*, frontrow does use some GPU assist, XBMC and Boxee do not. Your only hope is CrystalHD. This point has been covered a billion times about playing 720p/1080p content on the AppleTV. Please search.

I have been reading up on the CrystalHD situation and was ready to go that route but after reading Mike Pisano's recent thread I must admit I'm reconsidering. I'm not savvy enough to do the Linux install and I'd probably end up in a mental institution if I tried it.

There's something about the dropped frame performance that send my brain into a rage.
Looks like I'm doomed either way.Confused
I do not have any problems with 720p on my OS X Apple Tv
I used to have some buffering issues streaming from a NAS but with an external HD I have no issues at all
I also tried 1080p and it is watchable.
To: interceptor121

Can you try 60 FPS videos, plz.
interceptor121 Wrote:I do not have any problems with 720p on my OS X Apple Tv
I used to have some buffering issues streaming from a NAS but with an external HD I have no issues at all
I also tried 1080p and it is watchable.

Can you explain to me what a NAS is please?
I'm streaming from an external drive hanging off one of my G5's which is in the basement of my house (the ATV is upstairs)

Maybe I should run a cable? Is that known to improve performance in any way?

Come to think of it I'm connecting to my old G5 which is just a dual 2.7 PPC.
Perhaps I should try connecting to my other G5 2x 3.2 Quad Core Intel ?
Would the computer speed have anything to do with ATV performance?
I could also get a faster drive. The one I'm using is a 7200 from memory.
For what it's worth I've been very happy with the performance of XBMC running in the ATV OS w/Crystal HD. Properly encoded (this is key -- a lot of files you might 'find' on the Internet are encoded with stupid settings) 720p and 1080p files play back just fine (stuttering is very rare).

I'm streaming my files over a 100Mbit wired network (using SMB). I've found that streaming hd video over a wireless connection is usually asking for trouble (across the board -- not just on the ATV). Best bet is to use a hardwired connection or a external hard drive.

As for the user interface.. if you turn off fanart (large and small) the UI is very quick and responsive.
pin87a Wrote:For what it's worth I've been very happy with the performance of XBMC running in the ATV OS w/Crystal HD. Properly encoded (this is key -- a lot of files you might 'find' on the Internet are encoded with stupid settings) 720p and 1080p files play back just fine (stuttering is very rare).

I'm streaming my files over a 100Mbit wired network (using SMB). I've found that streaming hd video over a wireless connection is usually asking for trouble (across the board -- not just on the ATV). Best bet is to use a hardwired connection or a external hard drive.

As for the user interface.. if you turn off fanart (large and small) the UI is very quick and responsive.

Thanks. I'll try the hardwired method and I'll also install the CrystalHD.
CrystalHD used to have problems with 60fps

Not sure this is solved but I do not have any content in that format so can't help you
It still does. But really anything with 60fps is most likely to be interlaced, which is already a known issues.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:It still does. But really anything with 60fps is most likely to be interlaced, which is already a known issues.

not 720p/60 Smile
Hard pressed to find 720p/60 (maybe some HD captures) content to be honest. The only 60fps content I have is 1080i.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Hard pressed to find 720p/60 (maybe some HD captures) content to be honest. The only 60fps content I have is 1080i.

Move to the USA Smile all captured content is either 720p/60 or 1080i/30. That's driven by our ATSC broadcast sources, all off-the-air, cable and sat is either 720p/60 or 1080i/30.
The UK prefers 1080i60 for HD. But our HD content is kind of limited over here, meaning most TV is 720x576i (PAL) so CrystalHD isn't even invoked lol. No one really caps over here anyway because there's never anything good on lol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is HD not Choppy like 720?0