• 4(current)
Shuttle XS35
matchsmalone Wrote:Where are you seeing that? I can't find anything to that effect on the Newegg spec page.

This says that it has HDMI with 7.1 audio, and the northbridge is an Intel NM10, which also appears to support HD audio up to 8 channels.

Also, the Shuttle website under "Integrated Audio" says "IDT92HD81 Audio Codec with Azalia support." I believe that also would imply HD audio support up to 7.1.

EDIT: I think I figured out the confusion. Were you looking that this XS35? That one is different from this version which has Ion, etc. The first one only has GMA 3150 graphics, no Ion.

I was looking at the XS35-702 which isn't ION. My bad.

The XS35GT-804 apparently only has multichannel over HDMI as there is no SPDIF connector. 100MB is a big limitation IMHO. Buffering during a HBR BR ruins the experience.
TugboatBill Wrote:I was looking at the XS35-702 which isn't ION. My bad.

The XS35GT-804 apparently only has multichannel over HDMI as there is no SPDIF connector. 100MB is a big limitation IMHO. Buffering during a HBR BR ruins the experience.

You are right the XS35GT-804 doesn't have S/PDIF, only multichannel audio over HDMI, so it's only useful for people that have a HDMI receiver or a TV that can handle HDMI audio.

But you are wrong about 100Mbit, it will not cause any more buffering than Gbit simply because Blurays don't even use up half of that bandwidth.

Whatever burritoboy9984 experienced must be related to other issues, I have been streaming Bluray backups over 100Mbit for a long time without any issues ever.
damn! its already sold out on newegg Sad
What's the difference between the 804 and this one...the 704?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...CatId=2846
Never mind...the graphics card...
Yes, 100Mb/s is more then enough for blu-ray. I run a NAS with gigabit to a gigabit router then to my 100Mb/s PC and I never have ANY issues with buffering, you must have other netowrk issues.

Looking forward to the reviews, as this could be the best HTPC ion2 to date. Take the DVD drive out and put in a low profile blu-ray and it can play anything.
hi

XS35GT-804

is 2.1 channel HD audio right, there is no 5.1 ??

G
ghatothkach Wrote:hi

XS35GT-804

is 2.1 channel HD audio right, there is no 5.1 ??

G

No that is not correct, it supports up to 7.1 through the HDMI port on nettop. That reviewer on newegg is very wrong.
Rob79 Wrote:No that is not correct, it supports up to 7.1 through the HDMI port on nettop. That reviewer on newegg is very wrong.

The Shuttle XS35GT-804 supports 7.1 only over hdmi (using the ION2 in-built audio chip). The separate audio chip used for the analogue outputs is only 4 channels and as far I understand the spec sheets of the chip used, that means 2+2 channels (front+rear stereo out), which means in practice only 2 channels are used since the Shuttle only has one analogue out and no S/PDIF.

The section about the Shuttle XS35 on linuxtech has links to the spec pages of the chips used, so you can look into this further if you like.
hi

So where can I find the "BareBone" from the following list

I want to add SSD and bluray(maybe)

G
On that list, the XS35-GT is the barebones version of the model that has HDMI/ION2/7.1 over HDMI.

I've been playing with this system (the XS35-GT804) for a few weeks now. Hasn't choked on anything I've thrown at it in Ubuntu. I'm new to XBMC, so I'm not thrilled with it yet. I almost think that Windows Media Center might be a better application for my needs, but I'm willing to tweak XBMC for a few more weeks.
SoxIn7 Wrote:I almost think that Windows Media Center might be a better application for my needs

Out of curiosity, what needs are you referring to? I've never heard anyone pine for WMC before. Even if I were to go with Windows, I would still try to avoid Media Center, unless you are tied into some WMC specific tools/workflows?
SoxIn7 Wrote:I've been playing with this system (the XS35-GT804) for a few weeks now. Hasn't choked on anything I've thrown at it in Ubuntu.

That's what we wanna hear! Just eager now for it to hit Australia! Smile
teaguecl Wrote:Out of curiosity, what needs are you referring to? I've never heard anyone pine for WMC before. Even if I were to go with Windows, I would still try to avoid Media Center, unless you are tied into some WMC specific tools/workflows?

I really want to have Netflix streaming and I just don't see the DRM issue being resolved in a helpful way anytime soon.

I also want to use MLB.TV (and eventually the other leagues' setups). The XBMC solution (using mlbviewer in a separate terminal window, dumping to a file that shows up in XBMC, then starting there) is too clunky, and often the file has errors. Boxee would be a nice fix for this, but their feed routinely have buffering issues. I never have those issues when running in Windows.

I say all this as someone who hasn't used Windows on a home computer in about 8 years. I used to be a programmer and I'm willing to put the time in around Linux. That said, I found myself wasting lots of time making sure I had the right Nvidia drivers, trying to configure my remote, etc. And the remote experience will still be subpar to using it directly in WMC.

What are the major downsides to WMC? I confess that I was sort of blindly accepting that it would be an improvement based on reviews I had read on Engadget and elsewhere (and none too recently).

I really want to have one program that I can use for all of my LAN media and internet streaming needs.

Also... the fact that I cannot pop a DVD into XBMC and immediately hit play is frustrating. Is this just a DeCSS issue? I fixed my VLC to handle it, but it's bizarre that it's not enabled in XBMC.
SoxIn7 Wrote:What are the major downsides to WMC? I confess that I was sort of blindly accepting that it would be an improvement based on reviews I had read on Engadget and elsewhere (and none too recently).

One HUGE problem with WMC- its higher CPU requirements will eat an Atom alive.

You bought the wrong hardware for WMC. You need something with a real CPU to do this job.

Reason XBMC can use this hardware is that its optimized for it. WMC is optimized for you to go buy a real PC.

Netflix alone chokes my ION box. You just don't have enough CPU for that kind of stuff....

Quote:I really want to have one program that I can use for all of my LAN media and internet streaming needs.

Then sell this ION box, buy a Mac Mini and get Plex:

http://www.plexapp.com/

Quote:Also... the fact that I cannot pop a DVD into XBMC and immediately hit play is frustrating. Is this just a DeCSS issue? I fixed my VLC to handle it, but it's bizarre that it's not enabled in XBMC.

XBMC is focused on the diskless future.

My actual answer here is that with XBMC its better just to rip your disks and play them off a NAS in an on-demand fashion.

Sounds hard but its not. I have over 1000 movies on my NAS....

• 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354