• 5(current)
Shuttle XS35
SoxIn7 Wrote:I really want to have Netflix streaming and I just don't see the DRM issue being resolved in a helpful way anytime soon.
I really want to have one program that I can use for all of my LAN media and internet streaming needs.

Also... the fact that I cannot pop a DVD into XBMC and immediately hit play is frustrating.

That makes sense, sounds like Windows is right for you. If you are interested in heavily proprietary streams/formats (Netflix, MLB) then I would think not only WMC but also MS Internet Explorer should be on your "must" list. As much as I hate MS and (most) of their products - it's such a large consumer target that their platform is supported by all vendors. I personally have refused to use proprietary formats - but I must say it's a big inconvenience, and there is some content I want that I'm unable to purchase. I get angry every time I try to stream video from ironmanlive.com, only to find they are continuously making it more and more proprietary (currently using Silverlight!). Poofy is probably right about Atom not being enough oomph for some of these tasks.
So have anybody bought this and tried it with XBMC live?

I'm eager to get the GT-modell and adding in a SSD and RAM myself but i can't find it anywhere in Sweden.
Nepsir Wrote:So have anybody bought this and tried it with XBMC live?

I'm eager to get the GT-modell and adding in a SSD and RAM myself but i can't find it anywhere in Sweden.

Those are my exact plans to, and I can't find it anywhere in Norway.

I did however send a mail to a british webshop asking if they would ship to Norway, and I'm awayting answer from them (I sent the mail yesterday).

Here is a link to the webshop (and XS35GT)
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.as...tid=xs35gt

I'll get back to you once I get more details Smile

EDIT: The price for the XS35GT was 2222 Svenske Kronor, incuding british VAT (may be subtracted when they ship abroad)

EDIT #2: CCL Online was unable to ship to Norway, so I presume the same would apply to Sweden.

Here's the mail i received:

Quote:Good Afternoon

For a number of payment authorisation and logistical reasons we are unfortunately currently unable to ship orders to Norway.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards Dave
Ok, another update here.

I managed to ordered the XS35GT from a British company named PCHardwareUK.
Their customer service was excellent, and comes well recommended from me.

The order was fulfilled entirely through email and manual bank transfer.
The total was about 230 GBP (approx $ 358), including shipping and a foreign handling fee.
twinflower Wrote:Ok, another update here.

I managed to ordered the XS35GT from a British company named PCHardwareUK.
Their customer service was excellent, and comes well recommended from me.

The order was fulfilled entirely through email and manual bank transfer.
The total was about 230 GBP (approx $ 358), including shipping and a foreign handling fee.

Don't be surprised if you also get a rather large bill for customs duties and related admin fees from the courier handling the shipping... Sad
(that's the nasty surprise when doing international orders, at least outside the EU)
ion_man Wrote:Don't be surprised if you also get a rather large bill for customs duties and related admin fees from the courier handling the shipping... Sad
(that's the nasty surprise when doing international orders, at least outside the EU)

Yeah, I've been importing stuff like this a few times now.
My estimate is that I will have to pay the Norwegian VAT (+25%) and about 20 dollars in custom duty fees.
Sad 
Just installed Dharma beta 2 live on the new silent fanless Shuttle XS35GT barebone with additional 2GB RAM and 32GB SSD. Very nice!!

However when I install from memory stick to SSD, during network detection it says it cannot detect the network interface.

Looking at the hardware, the mobo uses a JMicron JMC261 for the 100 Mbit/s ethernet.

I searched and it appears that it needs a jme.ko driver for this chipset.
Could any kind soul give me instructions on how to install it so I can access my vids on my NAS?

Also, in case I need to compile a driver for the JMC261, what steps do I need to go through?
If I need to compile drivers etc, then I’ll first need to create a Linux VM on the Mac. So what’s the exact OS/version I would need to get to proceed with building drivers? Thanks. (Think it's the Ubuntu 'Lucid' version).

Also, a final question. If I need to build a driver, can I install it into the Linux 'Live' codebase that is currently installed on the HTPC's SSD, or would I need to install a full-blown Ubuntu instead and then install the driver? And how do I install a driver -- i.e. what steps are involved assuming logged in as root?
The XBMC Wiki states that XBMC Live comes with Windows MCE, is that out of date?
twinflower Wrote:The XBMC Wiki states that XBMC Live comes with Windows MCE, is that out of date?

Well the 'xbmc-Dharma_beta2-live.iso' I downloaded yesterday is definitely Linux.

It contains Windows MCE support in that it supports the Windows MCE remote control out of the box by default.

The MCE compatible remote I am using is this one:
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products...emote.html

Look for Model 226 if ordering.
Thank you.

I have a Shuttle XS35GT shipped to me as we speak, and I am eager to try out the LIVE xbmc Smile

(Some say there are certain issues with ION2 and linux/xbmc, so that is somewhat exciting as well..)
twinflower Wrote:I have a Shuttle XS35GT shipped to me as we speak, and I am eager to try out the LIVE xbmc Smile

Well, all I can tell you after installing XBMC Dharma beta 2 Live onto my XS35GT is:
1. I burned the image onto the USB memory stick using UNETBOOTIN, so that the image is burned to the stick and is bootable.
2. I went into the XS35GT BIOS and enabled the USB stick to be the first bootable device, SSD as the second bootable device.
3. It wouldn't boot. I discovered this was a USB stick that the XS35GT didn't like booting off. Then I burned the image to a second different make/model of USB memory stick: Sandisk Cruzer Contour 8GB and the XS35GT booted successfully off it.
4. XBMC live installer worked fine, except it didn't detect the JMC261 so it said 'no network interface detected'. Bummer!
5. After installation and rebooting, XBMC booted successfully from the SSD (OCZ Onyx 32GB) and XBMC was running. I tested it by watching a film off a USB memory stick and it worked.

twinflower Wrote:(Some say there are certain issues with ION2 and linux/xbmc, so that is somewhat exciting as well..)

Well, let's hope nothing too serious. Once I get this network problem sorted out then I'll hook it up to the HD TV and see what it can do, configure it a bit more etc...

If you solve the wired network problem before me, I'll be happy to hear from you Big Grin

So far I've installed the same Ubuntu kernel version on my Mac as a VM and downloaded the hopefully compatible driver source code from: ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmc2xx/Linux/

This source is for jmc2xx which hopefully means it should work for the JMC261 wired network.

I built the jme.ko file (the driver), using instructions in the readme.txt file at the jmicron link above, and copied it onto a USB stick, inserted it into the XS35GT, mounted it, copied the jme.ko to /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ and then executed "modprobe jme" as root, but it says 'FATAL: Module jme.ko not found.'. I'm not a Linux expert so I expect I have to do some extra steps before the modprobe, but that's my next homework... Wink
Ok, thanks for such a delightfully detailed post froggi.

My shuttle won't arrive before I leave for work for a few weeks, so I don't think I will be the first to solve the network-problem.

Another solution is perhaps OpenELEC.tv. Have you tried that one?
twinflower Wrote:Ok, thanks for such a delightfully detailed post froggi.

You're welcome.

twinflower Wrote:My shuttle won't arrive before I leave for work for a few weeks, so I don't think I will be the first to solve the network-problem.

Pity! So it looks like I'll have to battle it out myself for now then... Sad

twinflower Wrote:Another solution is perhaps OpenELEC.tv. Have you tried that one?

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. If I get desperate I'll give it a go. In the meantime I'll continue with the XBMC Live code...
Smile 
Well, after rebooting the XS35GT with the XBMC Live USB stick and selecting Terminal, I...
# sudo passwd root
# modprobe jme [no error message this time! Don't know why though - reboot perhaps?]

# vi /etc/network/interfaces [Then I added the following lines to setup eth0 wired interface as a DHCP client]:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# /etc/init.d/networking restart

And it got a valid IP address from my router, and ping to the Mac works too! Wink

So, looks good so far, now to reboot and see what happens...
I'm in exactly the position you were earlier. My XS35GT arrived today and I've been struggling with the NIC driver on Dharma Beta 2.

I don't suppose you could upload that driver module somewhere could you? It would save me some considerable hassle. Thanks.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354