• 51(current)
Shuttle XS35
@castalla: login with guest account to XBMCbuntu and open a shell, type "su - xbmc". The user xbmc is without a password and it's also a sudo user. So, "sudo su" and you have root privileges on XBMCbuntu live (=without installing).
Got a persistent usb working.

Unetbootin - create with persistent area

Start as default - make changes. Restart as default - it works, but some addons are slow.

Thanks for the xbmc user tip - useful!
Great Smile

I've installed XBCbuntu 11.0 beta 3 today, on a local hard disk. Sadly - everything is not as expected. HDMI audio isn't a problem anymore, it's solved. If anyone wants a screenshot of the settings for HDMI audio on XS35GTV2, I can post it.

However, I've run into some other problems. Wireless, for instance. Although it worked nicely when running XBMCbuntu without installing (from the same CD ROM!), today ... well, I see wireless networks, but when I select one of them to join, nothing happens. If I try to use that network manager that's available, wireless part of the settings is grayed out?!
Also, I've noticed that auto mounting does not work. I get a small popup "Not authorized" and I have to mount usb flashdrive/hard disk manually in a terminal. Has anyone experienced these problems?
Have been running 2 machines on a X35GT + XS35GT2 and I'm very pleased!

My issues as others have been with;
HDMI - solved after a lot of work by switching to ALSA
BOOT - sometimes, it changes default boot device - without me going to BIOS!

Other than that, great unit!

(mis)Used with UBUNTU 11.04, MythTV backend, XBMC with SQL setup + hdhomerun.

I can record a program, watch a movie and run FFMPEG transcode jobs simultanous on this little machine,and with no stutter (not 1080P prolly)...

Highly recommended!
pedgaard Wrote:BOOT - sometimes, it changes default boot device - without me going to BIOS!

That's right!

Had that too when booting from a USB for a while (with a present SSD). Every second boot it would boot Windows from the SSD, no matter what the BIOS settings. Very irritating and when the USB failed on me, I installed LIVE on a separate partition on the SSD.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
One really irritating feature of the Shuttle when using hdmi is that often the sound is disabled when restoring from hibernate. There appears to be no specific pattern to this - it's random whether sound is available or not!

Does anyone have a fix or work-around for this?
Castalla, when you connect an external drive, does the system mount it automatically or not? I still have that problem. :/
Just tried with a usb stick - it automounted
so without having to go thru this entire thread have people had much success with this on win7, running xbmc with mem intensive skins such as transparency with addons?

looking at getting this unit (XS35GT V2) but dont want it if it can't handle this. it would be my main HTPC unit so needs to be able to do pretty much everything. would chuck an SSD (does it support sata3?) and 4gb of ram in it.

would be great if someone could do a quick video on there phone or something and upload to youtube to show how smooth it handles xbmc lol

my main concern is menu browsing speeds, dont want any huge jitters, lag like i get with my ATV2. i can handle it on my atv2 as its only a bedroom box, but dont want it for my main one.

if win7 is really going to just be to crap and laggy what other options do i have?
the main reason for win 7 is so i can open up a web browser and watch streaming content, mainly NFL gamepass and F1.
No idea about the transparency skin .... but works a treat with standard xbmc setup. No lags.

The only snag is hdmi audio random loss when recovering from hibernate but think that's a win 7 bug.
castalla Wrote:No idea about the transparency skin .... but works a treat with standard xbmc setup. No lags.

The only snag is hdmi audio random loss when recovering from hibernate but think that's a win 7 bug.

will most likely be using this for audio anyway since the shuttle only has 2.1

with that i can plug it straight into usb and get digital 5.1 and run an optical cable straight to my receiver and just leave hdmi for video.

i've got one on my current setup now and it works a treat for a usb sound card.

i think im willing to take the plunge and give it a shot, all up with ssd and ram gonna cost me around $450 AU (with postage) but still a bargain i think if it can handle everything i need in such a small space.
The shuttle has up to 7.1 over hdmi (even the first model does).
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
And easiest option by far is to never let the thing sleep - it uses SFA power anyway...
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
bossanova808 Wrote:The shuttle has up to 7.1 over hdmi (even the first model does).

oh really, thats good to know lol

i was just going off the website specs

IDT92HD81
2.1 channel High Definition Audio

bossanova808 Wrote:And easiest option by far is to never let the thing sleep - it uses SFA power anyway...

yeah none of my pcs ever get turned off lol unless theres a power outage.
You should like it then...transparency, with the new libjpg, should be pretty fast. Soem of the others with whizzy animations might slow down a bit, but I have compared to a macmini with a core2duo etc., and it's much the same.

My i7 at work IS a bit faster but honestly, for the simplicity and dead silence of the Shuttle, I still think it's the best box..
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354