Television Without Cable
How do I get a comcast/direct tv viewing experience using only the internet, what sources are there, how stable are they and where can I find them?

Thank you in advance.

Mythbuntu .22 Camelot
If you want the Comcast experience wait in the dark between the hours of 1 and 5.

|-<:)
xbmchead Wrote:if you want the comcast experience wait in the dark between the hours of 1 and 5.

|-<Smile

lol!
Predicate Elect Wrote:How do I get a comcast/direct tv viewing experience using only the internet, what sources are there, how stable are they and where can I find them?

If you mean legal streaming sites, then there is the usual Netflix, Hulu, Espn 3, CBS.com, etc.

But (unless you only are comparing basic cable) the quality won't be as good, the options will be limited, and unless you get busy with some XBMC pluggins it won't be very WAF friendly.

The closest actual experience to cable (in fact a superior one IMHO), involves media piracy and that is a subject not to be talked about in these parts...
Of course, I'm not trying to imply that I support piracy in any way, shape or form.

Someone PM about this. Thank you.
poofyhairguy Wrote:The closest actual experience to cable (in fact a superior one IMHO), involves media piracy and that is a subject not to be talked about in these parts...

Not sure what you mean here, have you ever even glanced at the highly active SickBeard thread, that is exactly what it is for. Here is a link to it,

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63591

Also check out this other download automation thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70530
robweber Wrote:Not sure what you mean here, have you ever even glanced at the highly active SickBeard thread, that is exactly what it is for.

We talk about the tools of piracy on the forum as they pertain to our media boxes. It is perfectly ok to talk about how to add torrent or usenet downloading to our XBMC Live boxes.

With that said, we almost never actually talk about where to acquire the sources of piracy. That is the exercise left to the user.
We most certainly do not talk about piracy tools all the time. If it's here, it's slipped through the cracks.

Acquisition of content != piracy. Use the legal tools and means available in your country. If it's generally accepted as piracy, do not discuss here.

Yes it's grey. But that's how it is.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:We most certainly do not talk about piracy tools all the time. If it's here, it's slipped through the cracks.

Acquisition of content != piracy. Use the legal tools and means available in your country. If it's generally accepted as piracy, do not discuss here.

Yes it's grey. But that's how it is.

TheUni

Thanks for the clarification. Pretty standard line- every other major media center has the same boundary for good reason...
The OP could look at Playon, a media streamer that xbmc supports, and provides access to plenty of on-line content including Hulu, ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, etc. There's an active plug in and script community that provides new content regularly.

It is a commercial solution, with an initial investment of something like $40 and recurring charges of $19 per year, but much cheaper than cable. You need something to serve Playon from (I'm using a WHS, but a laptop would work).

The problem with this type of solution is that it buries the content a couple of levels deeper. You would access it via the Video menu, then click on Playon, then navigate through their menu system. And as Poofy noted, the quality of on-line content from the networks and places like Hulu is considerably less than what you get from your HD channels on cable or satellite.
Thanks for all the responses. Info helpful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Television Without Cable0