• 106(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:with your usb image tool did you remember to restore your image? I forgot that a few times myself. I have also been reading that generally the atv does not really like flash drive over the 2gb mark.

Yes. I used the restore option with the usbit software to get the two partitions and swap file on the stick.
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:with your usb image tool did you remember to restore your image? I forgot that a few times myself. I have also been reading that generally the atv does not really like flash drive over the 2gb mark.

Sorry the 2GB thing isn't true.

ceraz Wrote:Yes. I used the restore option with the usbit software to get the two partitions and swap file on the stick.

Restore in Device Mode, not Volume Mode.
Complete noob to everything here. Following given instructions i have succesfully restored image to 8gb kingston data traveller.I tested the image in the atv without the crystal card installed to check the image and it worked. I then installed the crystal and it still worked but i have no apple remote functionality to get things going.
This project is quite huge for me Shocked and this is the first time i have used terminal/ssh etc (testament to your guide that i have got this far) If anyone can give me a fix for this that I am able to understand i would be most pleased.Also if u guys could recommend any reference sites for using ssh or any other relevant info i may need to understand better i'd be grateful.
You should never lose remote functionality, was this remote paired with the ATV OS before you plugged in the USB drive loaded with the image?
update: pardon, the problem is solved.
Philmatic - yes the remote was paired and still works under osx ?
Spoonthumb. Sometimes, just sometimes, the remote doesn't work on mine after it boots. The trick is just to restart it.

I think it's more common if I start up the ATV and then don't use it for a while, so for the sake of being a cliche, "have you tried turning it off and back on again?"
I tried it once but had to pull the power to do it. Can it be done via ssh ?

Have found how to reboot just testing now.
Ok so reboot via ssh and remote is working. Ta
defiler Wrote:Spoonthumb. Sometimes, just sometimes, the remote doesn't work on mine after it boots. The trick is just to restart it.

I think it's more common if I start up the ATV and then don't use it for a while, so for the sake of being a cliche, "have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

pair it. never get this problem again.
spoonthumb Wrote:Complete noob to everything here. Following given instructions i have succesfully restored image to 8gb kingston data traveller.I tested the image in the atv without the crystal card installed to check the image and it worked. I then installed the crystal and it still worked but i have no apple remote functionality to get things going.
This project is quite huge for me Shocked and this is the first time i have used terminal/ssh etc (testament to your guide that i have got this far) If anyone can give me a fix for this that I am able to understand i would be most pleased.Also if u guys could recommend any reference sites for using ssh or any other relevant info i may need to understand better i'd be grateful.

Well done, I tried to restore the img file a dozen times to the same USB stick without any success and had given up ! Did you restore via windows or Mac ?
Sorry, but here's another "I'm a noob" post but before that I wanted to thank the many smart and helpful people here. You folks are wonderful.

I started watching threads about crystalHD and the ATV last year but never thought I knew enough about it to try it myself. After many months I still don't know enough to feel confident but yesterday someone listed a 40 gig ATV for $39.99 shipped on eBay and I couldn't resist any longer. I had already purchased a crystalHD card a while back.

I've been trying to work my way through this thread and sometimes I even think I know where to start but then I read a random post saying something like, "there was a post a few pages ago that tells how to do (whatever)..." and I realize I have no idea.

This thread gives me the most hope though, because it was specifically written for folks like me, however, there are many things that can and do go wrong. So, the question...

Is there a "best" (for noobs) way to configure a virgin ATV? Having never owned an ATV before I don't even know if I want/need to preserve the native OS so that question is really an extension of this one.

Obviously, getting all the bells and whistles working is the goal but not if it means going through a long series of failed attempts trying to get it going. If the answer is to load the "minimal" setup then at what point does it make sense to try to add more functionality, and, is there a "noob" how-to for going from the "minimal" to the "full-blown"?

Thanks!
ceraz : restored on mac using dd method on first post. Having read this thread a lot over the last few days i'd guess at getting another usb stick. I used 8gb kinston data traveller 100 g2.
Dropping to unbuntu desktop when trying to play any mkv on sams image running RC2 with crystal r161 drivers. Here's the log if anyone can help as i dont really know what i am doing Eek http://pastebin.com/6qSZxUfB

But i am trying very hard Big Grin

Problem sorted please ignore this post
I have a few ?'s.

Is the performance difference that great?
What about utilizing renting, podcasts, etc.....
  • 106(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15