• 14(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
Can I do this "timed login" setting from ssh instead of login into atv with a keyboard?
Think I corrupted my flash disk and want to recreate image.
The HD content that was playing now crashes XBMC. (it starts to load, you can hear the sound and then it crashes. SD content plays fine.

So.....
I assume you use the bootsector.img that was supplied in first post, install it to the flashdrive, and then reinstall the linux image. (I'm on a Windows 7 machine).

I was trying to add some presets to the ProjectM visualization (any help there as to where they should be put, folder name, etc, would also be appreciated)...
Thank you for all the supportive comments, I'm glad that some appreciate the fragility of nightly builds and an early driver.

xbmc old school Wrote:Killer work Sam!

Is anyone working on making an img with a minimal and/or custom ubuntu?

I have said several times I've got this in mind - if however you want it quicker, go ahead and do it - and feel free to upload it Smile

Doood Wrote:Nice work! Managed to get most everything functional without too much fuss.

One question, I don't have the option for 1080p, just 720 max. Is there a switch/option to enable that? I have HDMI connected, and hooked to a 1080p capable receiver.

Thanks!

Had a similar problem on a new 1080p set. The EDID is not correct and is not sending the correct refresh rates and supported resolutions to the TV. I found a link on how to deal with this the other day (Google it) which basically lets you craft your own EDID and force the Nvidia Driver to use it (add it to xorg.conf)

crashnburn Wrote:We should torrent this.. Great stuff Smile

Please do not torrent this. Ever.

JDizzy Wrote:Think I corrupted my flash disk and want to recreate image.
The HD content that was playing now crashes XBMC. (it starts to load, you can hear the sound and then it crashes. SD content plays fine.

So.....
I assume you use the bootsector.img that was supplied in first post, install it to the flashdrive, and then reinstall the linux image. (I'm on a Windows 7 machine).

I was trying to add some presets to the ProjectM visualization (any help there as to where they should be put, folder name, etc, would also be appreciated)...

Yup restore the bootsector on Windows, image with /dev/zero on Linux
reddeath Wrote:Can I do this "timed login" setting from ssh instead of login into atv with a keyboard?

I'm not expert, but it looks like you could modify your gdm.conf file directly:

[daemon]
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=xbmc
TimedLoginDelay=10

See: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Auto_Login

Maybe someone who has this enabled can cat their gdm.conf-custom and see what it says.
lalaw Wrote:Maybe someone who has this enabled can cat their gdm.conf-custom and see what it says.

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=xbmc
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=xbmc
TimedLoginDelay=10

Exactly! I did not even know where to start looking Smile
Ok, had a highly frustrating time last night, I had a Kingston Traveller 8 Gb stick lying around from a while back, when one of the first Linux images was floating around.
It however didn't work, as this particular USB stick isn't bootable. I didn't continue this path, as at the time I only had 720p display so XBMC/CrystalHD under OSX was ok on the ATV.

However, with my new 60 inch 1080p plasma delivered last saturday I wanted to get the Linux version working, as I wanted to see 1080p HD content. With Sam's image also just online for the weekend, bad weather forecasted for sunday, I was looking forward to a nice day of full HD! Nod

So I was feeling pretty disappointed, after I discovered that my newly purchased 4 Gb USB was to small for Sam's image....
To not let my sunday go to waste, I tried to see if i could get tje Kingston 8 Gb stick to work. Some googling left me to believe that by changing the drive geometry (heads, sectors) it could be made bootable. So as a total Linux newbie I stuck the stick in my Vortexbox (Linux OS based) NAS/musicserver and entered the world of fdisk, mkfs etc et Shocked After much trying I could't get it to work, leaving me quite frustrated come sunday bedtime...

I said to myself, enough with the buying of USB sticks, be patient till somebody uploads a smaller one for a 4 Gb stick.
But of course I couldn't resist it, and bought a cheapo 8 Gb stick today and got it all working!
I had to overcome two snags, apparently the first time the image wasn't transferred correctly to the stick due to some windows hiccup, it booted from it but nothing happened. Secondly, I couldn't select 1080p resolution, as apparently my HDMI switch limited output to 720p. Connecting the TV directly to the ATV during Linux bootup solved that, after booting I could reconnect the HDMI cables through the switch.
Sam, do you have the link to manual edit the EDID info for linux bootup?

But it was all worth it! XBM on Linux on the ATV is much better than on OSX. Faster menu's, 1080P support! Files also play much smoother. I had one crash sofar, but with the software in this stage that can be expected.

A nice movie night coming up tonight!
I am afraid I have not got past first base. The image is unmountable and in disk utlity it fails stating a source invalid argument. That was the third link on page one. And the first link finishes downloading at 36megs and unraring states unexpected end of archieve error.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:I have said several times I've got this in mind - if however you want it quicker, go ahead and do it - and feel free to upload it Smile

I put together a minimal xbmcbuntu install on a usb drive over the weekend. If someone can host it I would be glad to upload it.

Functionality-wise it's the same as Sam's, but it runs a bit lighter since there are less services running and no desktop. I also used the xbmc-live package to autostart xbmc so if it crashes it just loads back up again.
@bolle - modifying EDID will not fix your HDMI switche's limitations.

@garyi - redownload the image it's clearly corrupt. Try using wget

@pin87a check PM, I've given you an FTP, also upload text file please with specifications of the distro
For those who have problems with the TV to 1080p.
Altered in xorg.conf "Device" section like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck"
Option "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSysmem=1"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
EndSection

@sam: thanks to the excellent work.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@bolle - modifying EDID will not fix your HDMI switche's limitations.

@garyi - redownload the image it's clearly corrupt. Try using wget

@pin87a check PM, I've given you an FTP, also upload text file please with specifications of the distro

The HDMI swith can pass 1080p no problems, after I got Linux/XBMC to boot at 1080p by connecting directly, I could switch the cables thus putting the switch back into the signal path.
It seems however that the switch is limiting EDID information being transmitted during bootup. So if I can override that manually, it should be ok.

BTW thanks for the hard work!
http://analogbit.com/node/23
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:http://analogbit.com/node/23

thnx!
[quote=pin87a]I put together a minimal xbmcbuntu install on a usb drive over the weekend. If someone can host it I would be glad to upload it.

Awesome pin87a!!! Has the img been uploaded anywhere yet?
Burger!

Stick too small!

Might need to wait for the 'more stripped down' version

any luck pin87a?
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15