• 16(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
pin87a Wrote:create mount point, fsck and mount partition:
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
mkdir tmp
mount /dev/sda2 tmp

Edit file:
vi tmp/com.apple.Boot.plist
(press i to enter insert mode in vi, make change, press escape, then type :wq to save the file)

thanks for the help. got the first part to work but i can't get pass
vi tmp/com.apple.boot.plist
typed "i" but got a screen that didn't show much didn't know where to start. is there anything like nano or pico that i can use to edit the file?
i'm using a windows machine and telnetting with CMD.
thanks for the help though
i have megaupload rapishare and hotfiles if you need me to upload the IMG. As a thank you to XBMC community!. Let me know if your ok with that first, i don't wanna step on anybodies toes.
pin87a Wrote:Sam has nicely offered to host a minimal xbmcbuntu image for the ATV that I put together. It's very similar to Sam's except that it's based on a minimal install (no ubuntu desktop) and it uses the xbmc-live package to handle the xbmc autostart stuff (it also restarts xbmc automatically if it crashes).

It still requires a 4GB (or larger) usb drive (i did undersize the image a bit so it should fit on all 4GB drives). Tried to build a 2GB image but it was a bit too tight (1GB ubuntu install + 512 swap + atv-bootloader files doesn't leave much room for movie images, fanart, etc...). I don't own a 3GB usb drive so 4GB it is!

Install instructions are the same as in the first post (big thanks to Sam for documenting everything).[/code]

Thanks,it will be great!
A noob's question is there a remote possibility to implement AFP (apple filing protocol) to mount a share in a linux img?
In the ordinary patchstick AFP is available using NitoTV and the share is visible in the volumes dir.
In this linux img the share point is still visible in "volumes" but doesn't work.
AFP would be the cherry on top for all mac users Nod
Angrenost Wrote:Thanks,it will be great!
A noob's question is there a remote possibility to implement AFP (apple filing protocol) to mount a share in a linux img?
In the ordinary patchstick AFP is available using NitoTV and the share is visible in the volumes dir.
In this linux img the share point is still visible in "volumes" but doesn't work.

+1

thanks
Paul
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
Angrenost Wrote:Thanks,it will be great!

just need to add this line to
- /etc/rc.local:
Code:
mount_afp afp://user:pass@theserver/ /mnt/shareddisk
or
- /etc/fstab:
Code:
afpfs#afp://username:password@host/timecapsule volume /mountpoint fuse user=adrick,group=fuse 0 0

If you want to do the other way around(serve AFP from ubuntu with bonjour):
http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubun...ne-volume/
dafranca Wrote:just need to add this line to
- /etc/rc.local:
Code:
mount_afp afp://user:pass@theserver/ /mnt/shareddisk
or
- /etc/fstab:
Code:
afpfs#afp://username:password@host/timecapsule volume /mountpoint fuse user=adrick,group=fuse 0 0

you will need to install an ubuntu afp client first

like this one
http://sites.google.com/site/alexthepuffin/home
scorneil Wrote:you will need to install an ubuntu afp client first

like this one
http://sites.google.com/site/alexthepuffin/home

Just need netatalk:
sudo apt-get install netatalk
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:So unmount it:

sudo umount /dev/sdb1
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb1
mkdir tmpmnt
sudo mount -t hfsplus -o /dev/sdb1 /home/xbmc/tmpmnt
sudo nano tmpmnt/com.apple.boot.plist
sudo umount /dev/sdb1
rm -rf tmpmnt

Then reboot to remount it at /media/Recovery. Generally running fsck.hfsplus fixes read-only FS issues

Thanks Sam.

Indeed, fsck.hfsplus was what I needed.

FWIW, I couldn't mount with -o as you show above, I just snipped that argument out and it worked.

Now I can boot off of the hard drive, dig in.

Thanks!
pin87a Wrote:Sam has nicely offered to host a minimal xbmcbuntu image for the ATV that I put together. It's very similar to Sam's except that it's based on a minimal install (no ubuntu desktop) and it uses the xbmc-live package to handle the xbmc autostart stuff (it also restarts xbmc automatically if it crashes).

This is great stuff. Really exciting to see all the development going on. Are there any advantages to using the minimal image from a performance standpoint? Or is it mainly for the sake of saving disk space?
dafranca Wrote:Just need netatalk:
sudo apt-get install netatalk

Ok i will try but i have another problem to solve first.
Maybe stupid question but it's stucking me.
I always used Terminal or Fugu to acces and modify my Appletv but in the linux boot i am unable.
Instead of ssh frontrow@myappletvip
i am trying: ssh xbmc@myappletvip as xbmc is now the new user and password but the response after some wait is always: "ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.2 port 22: Operation timed out"
Via Fugu the same,too bad!

The IP is unchanged in the Frontrow side,in Linux should be the same,right?
Angrenost Wrote:Ok i will try but i have another problem to solve first.
Maybe stupid question but it's stucking me.
I always used Terminal or Fugu to acces and modify my Appletv but in the linux boot i am unable.
Instead of ssh frontrow@myappletvip
i am trying: ssh xbmc@myappletvip as xbmc is now the new user and password but the response after some wait is always: "ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.2 port 22: Operation timed out"
Via Fugu the same,too bad!

The IP is unchanged in the Frontrow side,in Linux should be the same,right?

you have probably been assigned a different IP address. check your router logs to see what IP was assigned.
Using the minimal image, I am not getting any network connectivity. Based on the system info from within xbmc, it's looking for an IP address in the range 192.168.1.x however my router is on 192.168.0.1 (and the DHCP server is serving addresses in 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.254). Do I have to change my router setup or can I do something to the image/in xbmc?

thanks in advance
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
scorneil Wrote:you have probably been assigned a different IP address. check your router logs to see what IP was assigned.

Wohooo... yes you are right! Thank you!
frumpy_uk Wrote:Using the minimal image, I am not getting any network connectivity. Based on the system info from within xbmc, it's looking for an IP address in the range 192.168.1.x however my router is on 192.168.0.1 (and the DHCP server is serving addresses in 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.254). Do I have to change my router setup or can I do something to the image/in xbmc?

thanks in advance

Hmm.. it's setup for DHCP so it should 'just work,' but maybe I did something wrong.. will check on that tonight.
lalaw Wrote:This is great stuff. Really exciting to see all the development going on. Are there any advantages to using the minimal image from a performance standpoint? Or is it mainly for the sake of saving disk space?

It's mostly for a performance advantage (and probably not a big one at that). There are less services running (and no desktop) so startup time is quicker. XBMC is also configured to restart if it crashes instead of dropping to a terminal (thanks to xbmc-live). Probably uses a few hundred megabytes less diskspace (not a big enough difference to get excited about).
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15