• 25(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
da-bitsch Wrote:@pin87a

Nice tutorial Smile I was though hoping for a solution where i didn't need the usb hanging out of the ATV. Can that be applied easilly to you tutorial?

You can please some of the people all of the time. You can please all of the people some of the time. etc Wink

I'm pleased - thanks pin87a I'll try this over the weekend.
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
frumpy_uk Wrote:You can please some of the people all of the time. You can please all of the people some of the time. etc Wink

I'm pleased - thanks pin87a I'll try this over the weekend.

hehe - i wrote nice tutorial Tongue
frumpy_uk Wrote:So how exactly are you going about connecting to your shares? Or to put it another way, are you able to add your share as a source in e.g. Videos/Movies/Music etc?
When I browse SMB, XBMC will show 'working' on the bottom right, but nothing happens.
After some trial and error it finally works. Now I add a location with the following syntax: smb://xbox:xbox@servername/videos
As this takes some time with the default apple remote, I continue adding locations by editing the sources.xml Wink

By the way.. I noticed that opening a certain .iso will take like minutes to open and start playing. I think I read about this before, that it occurs in a certain nightly build.. Hopefully this wil get fixed in the future.

PS: What a great performance it has now, compared to running on osx!!
Yeah SMB browsing can freeze on 'Working' in 28256 - why don't you just enter it via sources.xml instead of typing with aTV remote? Might include a newer SVN version after exams, world cup.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Yeah SMB browsing can freeze on 'Working' in 28256 - why don't you just enter it via sources.xml instead of typing with aTV remote? Might include a newer SVN version after exams, world cup.

this problem still exists in actual svn versions, here is the ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8840 and here an thread about this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74267
it seems it is unclear where this issue comes from
greetings, Stephan

just wanted to say that i added another mirror. the file is hosted on an european university network uplink.

Full Image

Minimalized Disk Image

-andy
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
Can this thing be restored in disk utlity or not? I have tried the reduced files size one and the main one. The main one fails with invalid argument and the reduced one says it has to be scanned first which I do and it immediatly says cannot scan invalid argument.

I have 3 macs, tried on all three. All running 10.6.3

The first page tells how to do it with terminal, but the instructions are not complete and assume skillz in terminal which some of us do not possess.
Wow. So cool! Whenever I do anything like this I always think I'm going to break something, but it all went pretty smoothly. One problem though - the network is broken again...! Its finding the correct DNS server 192.168.0.1, but not getting an IP address.

Very minor feedback on the guide : is it worth pointing out that one could use nano instead of vim? I'm sure its subjective but I find nano much easier to use than vi or vim.

In the later stage of the guide, there is an instruction mixed in with the code. When you're in the midst of all this copy & pasting it's easy to miss. I'd suggest changing it to something like

Point atv-bootloader (on usb drive) to new internal drive install
Code:

Code:
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb2
sudo mkdir /media/atvboot
sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /media/atvboot
sudo vim /media/atvboot/com.apple.Boot.plist

Change root to /dev/sda5.

Unmount.

Code:
sudo umount /media/atvboot
sudo rm -fdr /media/atvboot/
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
I prefer nano too, but each to their own Smile
Any thoughts on the network problem? Its finding the correct DNS server 192.168.0.1, but not getting an IP address - same as the 2nd version of pin87a's image.
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
frumpy_uk Wrote:Wow. So cool! Whenever I do anything like this I always think I'm going to break something, but it all went pretty smoothly. One problem though - the network is broken again...! Its finding the correct DNS server 192.168.0.1, but not getting an IP address.

Very minor feedback on the guide : is it worth pointing out that one could use nano instead of vim? I'm sure its subjective but I find nano much easier to use than vi or vim.

In the later stage of the guide, there is an instruction mixed in with the code. When you're in the midst of all this copy & pasting it's easy to miss. I'd suggest changing it to something like

Thanks for the feedback. I edited the tutorial.

Not sure about your network issue.
Since you already had linux on the drive did you delete your old linux partitions before copying the files over?

If you exit XBMC (from within XBMC) when it drops back to the console do you see any error messages from the boot process?
Can you boot using the regular usb image, mount the internal linux partition, and check the logs?

Code:
cd
mkdir tmp
sudo mount /dev/sda5 tmp
sudo cat tmp/var/log/daemon.log | grep DHCP

You should see something like this:
Code:
Jun 12 09:57:20 AppleTV dhclient: DHCPREQUEST of <null address> on eth0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
Jun 12 09:57:21 AppleTV dhclient: DHCPACK of 192.168.1.101 from 192.168.1.1
brock_gonad Wrote:You don't have to mount the internal HD to copy the image over. I used this command sucessfully;

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=4096

Then you have to edit com.apple.Boot.plist which tells it to boot off of the hard drive on the next boot. This is on /dev/sda2.

Make a temp directory to mount it to;
mkdir tmpmnt

Make the partition read/write;
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2

Mount it;
sudo mount /dev/sda2 tmpmnt

Edit the file;
sudo nano tmpmnt/com.apple.Boot.plist

Change the /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda3 towards the end of the file, close and save it.

Reboot (remove USB key). Should boot from HD.

First two steps went perfect, but then I get this error when making the partition read/write:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2 tmpmnt
** /dev/sda2
** tmpmnt (NO WRITE)
Device is not a block device

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks!
JDizzy Wrote:Alright, loaded up the Minimal image and all went well.

But, I can't see my ATV's internal drive so I can put some content there and access from within XBMC.
With Sam's image I would just go to the Home folder and add my content. Now it will not allow me to create a folder, or add anything.
In XBMC the Home folder appears empty. All my Windows shares show up so I can add content to the library, just can't access the ATV drive.
A little later:
Hmmm... just added all my music in and it seems .flac files will not play for some reason (missing codex? I can't seem to find the log files it refers me to)...mp3 play fine. Think I'm going to stick with the heftier version for now.

Presuming that you want the internal drive mounted read/write you can create a mount point and add the following to /etc/rc.local to have that drive mounted at startup.
(not sure this is a good idea though since from what I've read Linux support for journaled hfsplus isn't so good at the moment. You can mount it read only (safer) by removing the fsck.hfsplus line)

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/atvmedia

Add to /etc/rc.local (right before the 'exit 0')
Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda4
mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda4 /media/atvmedia

Interesting catch on the flac thing. As far as I knew xbmc used internal decoders for everything, but i guess not flac.
Surprised it wasn't automatically installed as a dependency of xbmc when installed from the PPA.

Installing libflac will fix that.
Code:
sudo apt-get install flac
jodeman Wrote:First two steps went perfect, but then I get this error when making the partition read/write:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2 tmpmnt
** /dev/sda2
** tmpmnt (NO WRITE)
Device is not a block device

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks!

Should probably be doing:
Code:
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
(without the tmpmnt at the end)
pin87a Wrote:Should probably be doing:
Code:
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
(without the tmpmnt at the end)

Thanks! That fixed that. Now, with the next step, I get this error:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 tmpmnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

If I run 'dmesg | tail' I get this:

Code:
[130366.883141] Stopping BCM70012 Device
[130370.943341] Opening new user[0] handle
[130370.943353] Starting BCM70012 Device
[130371.089522] clock is moving to 175 with n 35 with vco_mg 2
[130371.089550] CInitializing Dio pool 10 1024 505c c7052ba0
[130372.732326] Firmware Downloaded Successfully
[218612.248251] attempt to access beyond end of device
[218612.248266] sda2: rw=0, want=2887584, limit=819152
[218612.248273] JBD: IO error reading journal superblock
[218612.248282] EXT3-fs: error loading journal.

Sorry for being such a pain!
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15